Thread: Kentucky Speedway may host Sprint Cup race

Kentucky Speedway may host Sprint Cup race

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kentucky Speedway may host Sprint Cup race

I wonder what went into pulling a race from Atlanta in order to make this happen? What were the politics behind this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder what went into pulling a race from Atlanta in order to make this happen? What were the politics behind this?

Probably helped when new ownership came in and the lawsuit reached a conclusion. Kind of like, "Don't continue the suit and we'll get you a race." And the other events the track holds probably gave NASCAR an idea on how the track handles those events. I wonder if they will expand to 100K for that race?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

SMI owns both Atlanta and Kentucky. SMI then pulled a race designated for Atlanta and will give it to Kentucky.

I've heard that expansion to 100k should be complete in time for the race next season.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Atlanta's attendance in recent years hasn't been strong enough to justify two dates. (California is losing its second race for the same reason.) As HotCorner said, SMI owns both tracks and thinks they'll do better with one in Atlanta and one in Kentucky as opposed to two in Atlanta.

And who knows, maybe the sudden decrease in supply will increase demand, and Atlanta will be packed next year.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?