Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

This pretty much sums up my feelings about Cousins:

http://collegehoopsnet.com/demarcus-...-shadow-168118

Big Cuz Emerging From Wall's Shadow

By Jason Brubaker

Remember Greg Oden?

Of course you do. He was one the most hyped big men to enter college in the last 10 years, billed as a superstar long before he ever even made his college decision. He graced magazine covers as a sophomore in high school, and was compared to everyone from Patrick Ewing to David Robinson to Tim Duncan. In his one and only year in college, he averaged 15.9 points and 9.7 rebounds per game, and helped lead Ohio State to the national championship game before departing to the NBA, where he was the top overall pick.

Now, three years later, another dominant freshman big man has emerged. The only problem is, nobody seems to notice. You might think it's hard for a 6'11”, 260-pound big man to be overlooked, but that's exactly what's happened to Kentucky center DeMarcus Cousins for much of the season.

The hype around Lexington most of the season has centered on fellow freshman John Wall, and deservedly so. As the point guard, Wall has the ball in his hands nearly every play, and his combination of athleticism and poise has all but ensured that he will be the top pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. But is it possible that he's not even the most important player on his own team?

After all, Cousins, or “Big Cuz” to his teammates, has been a monster in the paint all year long, posting averages of 16 points and nine rebounds per game...all in only 21 minutes per game. Blessed with soft hands and brute strength, Cousins is an absolute load in the paint, and his presence under the basket opens up driving lanes for Wall, Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Liggins. He also has allowed forward Patrick Patterson to showcase more of his perimeter game by stepping away from the basket.

With all that he does, you may wonder why he's only logging 21 minutes per game. And therein lies the biggest question mark surrounding Cousins' future. Known to be an emotional player who can sometimes lose focus, Cousins has become the target of opponents recently, as they try to neutralize him by playing overly physical and trying to get him to lose his temper. As the season has worn on, this tactic has been employed more and more, as teams realize the best way to stop Cousins is to have him stop himself.

Against Vanderbilt last weekend, the Commodores did their best to frustrate Cousins, using forward Steve Tchiengang off the bench as an agitator for most of the game. While Big Cuz did have his moments, picking up a technical while mixing it up under the basket, he also pounded the 'Dores with 21 points and 10 boards. He also continually sparked life into an occasionally restless crowd, hitting the floor at least three times for loose balls and playing with an infectious energy that seemed to inspire his teammates. In short, he showed that even the one strategy designed to stop him might not be enough.

And the scary part for opponents? He is getting better. Of his 13 double-doubles this year, nine have come in the last 11 games. In SEC play, he's averaging 18 points and 10 rebounds, all while shooting 55 percent from the floor. He also has 15 blocks through the first seven conference games, showing he can be a factor on both sides of the floor.

Now admittedly, Cousins still is a work in progress. He needs to improve his conditioning, as he tends to look winded during games, which sometimes leads to his foul trouble. He has managed to control his emotions enough to still be a force on the floor, but veteran opponents will continue to bait him, hoping to take him out of his game. His defense has improved, but he still continues to find himself in foul trouble far too often. Only three times this year has he committed fewer than three fouls in a game, and should UK find themselves matched up with a frontcourt like Syracuse or Kansas at some point in March, they'll need him on the floor as much as possible.

But it's hard not to like Cousins at this point. For all of the talk about his emotions and temper, it's often not mentioned that his effort can't ever be questioned on the floor. He plays with a passion that has endeared him to the Big Blue nation, and he's quietly making a case for SEC Player of the Year. The grimace he wears on the floor masks a great smile off of it, as he has quickly become to “go-to” interview for reporters because of his sense of humor and brutal honesty. As impossible as it may have seemed only a few weeks ago, he has emerged from the John Wall shadow and is now creeping onto the radar of fans, who realize that this giant, dancing, sometimes-grumpy-but-often-goofy big man is a pretty good player in his own right.

He may not get the recognition of Wall, or even of other recent big men like Oden or Michael Beasley, but there's no doubt that Cousins could have just as big an impact as any of them. He looks to be a lock for the lottery now, and it would be a shock if he returns to Lexington for another season, especially if the Cats are able to cut down the nets in Indianapolis.

Maybe then, people will finally start to notice Big Cuz.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think it's a reach at all for Cousins to end up being drafted #2. He has the skill-set and size that NBA teams drool over.

Cousins is a beast. He makes Patterson look like chopped liver. And I thought Patterson was very good until this year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

If he continues to improve his conditioning, fouling out, and mental game/attitude I think he could eventually become the #2 pick. Probably won't happen, but I could see him being Top 5. If he can really hit the gym hard after the season and before the draft, it would really benefit him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Cousins is a beast. He makes Patterson look like chopped liver. And I thought Patterson was very good until this year.
    Patterson can be very good if he wants to be. The biggest problem though is that he tends to defer when there is somebody more talented on the team.

In Huntington, it was OJ Mayo. At UK, it's been John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins. Once a star player comes to town, Patterson disappears.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Patterson can be very good if he wants to be. The biggest problem though is that he tends to defer when there is somebody more talented on the team.

In Huntington, it was OJ Mayo. At UK, it's been John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins. Once a star player comes to town, Patterson disappears.
    I agree. And one of Patterson's strength is that he doesn't demand the spotlight.

Patterson is a very good player, but I believe in this current lineup he's being defined by what he's NOT rather than what he is and that's OK. He's not a point guard with slashing moves like Wall, and he's not the big inside presence like Cousins. While those two are getting all the attention right now, Patterson does what his job demands of him and he does it well. The team is better because of him.

For those wanting to see the possible heir apparent to John Wall, Brandon Knight's team will be playing tonight on ESPN2. His Pine Crest team will be playing another top Florida team that features 2011 top 2 recruit Austin Rivers, who is the top PG for that class.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This could be a great attribute at the next level. I think he could become a great role player in the NBA.

Big Cuz Emerging From Wall's Shadow

By Jason Brubaker

Remember Greg Oden?
    Ha ha. In light of recent events I'll never be able to forget Greg Oden, no matter how much I'd like to.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    This could be a great attribute at the next level. I think he could become a great role player in the NBA.
    Role player? Yes. Star player? No.

I should probably expound a little bit. It's one thing to give the team up to an equal in Mayo, but when you are the seasoned veteran on a team with three freshman starters leading the way, sometimes you have to take charge and get the game back on track.

I'm going to say something that may put me in hot water with UK fans, but while I do appreciate Patterson coming back to school and graduating early, the majority of fans will remember this team as "his team". Twenty years from now, Patrick Patterson will be the name synonymous with this team in the eyes of UK fans, and you may not find very many fans who will be able to name DeMarcus Cousins or John Wall on this team because there will be so many one and dones by then (assuming Cal coaches for a long time or the one year rule isn't abolished).

Kentucky fans remember the players who contribute the longest. Patterson could be one of the most beloved players in UK history, but it will have to be his leadership that carries this team when Wall or Cousins falter. I just don't know if he can do it.

Just a hunch, but I think Patterson kinda runs the show behind the scenes. More of a quiet leader. A guy who leads by example, etc.

I'm not sure you can fault him for giving the reins to Wall and Cousins. They aren't ordinary freshman IMO. They are guys who would be putting up great rookie numbers in the NBA if it weren't for the 1 year rule.

I have faith in Cal to get the best players for UK, but after watching this game, I am really hoping he gets Brandon Knight next season.

What really impresses me is Knight's scoring ability. Wall pretty much relies on speed and getting to the rim while Knight can get his shot from anywhere on the court. He would be a better two guard if we had a true PG such as Bledsoe or Selby starting opposite.

I just wonder if the bluehairs will be able to accept a player with dreadlocks after having to stomach arm sleeves and head bands. :

For those wanting to see the possible heir apparent to John Wall, Brandon Knight's team will be playing tonight on ESPN2. His Pine Crest team will be playing another top Florida team that features 2011 top 2 recruit Austin Rivers, who is the top PG for that class.
    Austin Rivers is not better than Marquis Teague.

I have faith in Cal to get the best players for UK, but after watching this game, I am really hoping he gets Brandon Knight next season.

What really impresses me is Knight's scoring ability. Wall pretty much relies on speed and getting to the rim while Knight can get his shot from anywhere on the court. He would be a better two guard if we had a true PG such as Bledsoe or Selby starting opposite.

I just wonder if the bluehairs will be able to accept a player with dreadlocks after having to stomach arm sleeves and head bands. :
    Selby isn't really a true PG. Either Knight or Selby will be a dynamite pairing with Bledsoe. Probably give the edge to Knight because of his shooting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Austin Rivers is not better than Marquis Teague.
    Depends on your rankings. Rivals has Teague ahead of Rivers but Scout has Rivers 4th and Teague 5th. That being said we need to get Teague, but I will be happy with Gilchrist and Quincy Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Selby isn't really a true PG. Either Knight or Selby will be a dynamite pairing with Bledsoe. Probably give the edge to Knight because of his shooting ability.
    Like I posted on TBK, I think we could get both because EB could play himself into an NBA draft pick.

Knight also finished with 48 points.

Turn Off Ads?