Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

DeAndre Liggins is playing like a freaking stud right now. He looked like a future pro tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

BTW, Dicky V, Darius Milller won Mr. Basketball that year, not Hopson.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Josh, I have to agree with you, but I also have to add that as someone who once worshipped at the altar of Pitino that the man will break your heart. I believe he has some love for the state of Kentucky based on how much its population has adored him, but outside that I don't think you can really trust a word he says.

He could just as easily want to go to the Nets to try one more time. Who knows. He pushed for the arena sure but I dont think he cares, he just wanted it as a recruiting tool, its not like he views it as a legacy or anything, he just knew his name could get things done.

Ultimately I will be surprised if he returns to the NBA, however not because he loves UL or anything but because like you state he hasn't done a thing to warrant it. I also don't believe he won't try either.
    You could repeat this same argument and trade Pitino's name for Calipari's. I don't think Cal will go to the Nets and doubt that the Nets would rehire a coach that they previously fired. However, just like Pitino, you can't trust a word he says. The lure of coaching Lebron and Wall to a championship may be too much to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Kentucky played pretty close to poor basketball for 30 minutes tonight and still won more or less handily in the end. Their talent is scary if they can ever put it together.

They should expect to be challenged by zones defenses for the remainder of the season.
    There is one team right now if Kentucky plays in the Final Four that scares me with this team, and that is Syracuse. Any team that plays a successful zone defense has a chance, but Boeheim does it with the best of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You could repeat this same argument and trade Pitino's name for Calipari's. I don't think Cal will go to the Nets and doubt that the Nets would rehire a coach that they previously fired. However, just like Pitino, you can't trust a word he says. The lure of coaching Lebron and Wall to a championship may be too much to resist.
    Oh hey I don't disagree with that and I haven't made the argument that Cal is here to stay.

Guys like this love the spotlight and the challenge. If and when Cal has a bad recruiting class and has himself a Tubby like season of 22-10 or something then he may well be tired of the spotlight and jump out there looking for another challenge.

He is not loyal to UK. I understand that fact completely. UK is just the prettiest girl at the dance right now and someday he's gonna see a cute little redhead [the NBA? UCLA?] and go chasing after her instead.

The days of Adolph Rupp or John Wooden are gone for programs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

The bluepring for defeating Kentucky is fairly simple:

1) Get in Demarcus Cousins' grill, muscle him up, throw a couple cheap shots, and get in his head. (That will prove to be a simple matter in NCAA basketball, where officials often swallow whistles as games get closer, especially in regards to big men.)

2) Have a defender continually dive at John Wall in the open floor, hoping to cause turnovers, but, at worst, slowing him and the Cats down. (This has the added benefit of frustrating Wall, who also has a habit of sulking for a play or two after a particularly difficult turnover.) Too, because the brand of basketball during the NCAA is pretty hard-core, Wall's lay-ups will turn into treacherous drives through the trees. If officials swallow whistles...

3) Play an active, hands-up 3-2 or 2-3 zone. I haven't seen a box and one yet (and likely won't) nor a triangle and two (that wouldn't work either, IMO), but a simple 3-2 from UT played havoc with Kentucky's zone offense last night. Four guys stood around the perimeter and watched Cousins battle underneath with two Vol big men. No cohesion.

But it all comes down to this: despite these shortcomings, you still have to hope Kentucky has a down day both offensively and defensively. You have to hope Bledsoe can't shoot straight early, so he doesn't shoot later on. You have to hope Miller disappears once again in a big game. You have to hope Liggins goes all Gillespie and Dodson can't guard a stopwatch. You have to hope both Cousins and Orton get into foul trouble and your bigs don't. You have to hope Patterson doesn't demand the ball.

That's a lot of hoping. And it's one reason UK should be favored to win it all when the NCAA Tournament comes around. Because they're the best rebounding team in the country and one of the top three defensive teams, regardless of that hope. (No team has shot 50% on them all year.)

Because they're going to find five to ten fast-break baskets because your guys are tired and neither Wall nor Bledsoe has ever seen a defender they couldn't break down one-on-one.

Because Calipari is a good enough coach to not only push the right buttons to motivate, but he's a quality X's and O's guy during the game. (Second, over the past 40 years, only to Tubby in that regard among Cat coaches.) He'll find a couple baskets for his team.

Most talented team in the country.

On another note, that back-pick alley-oop to Wall seems to work every time Cal calls it. Were I Cal, I'd send Bledsoe or Patterson to the corner and send Wall to the hoop. If one's not open, the other will be.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 02-14-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    There is one team right now if Kentucky plays in the Final Four that scares me with this team, and that is Syracuse. Any team that plays a successful zone defense has a chance, but Boeheim does it with the best of them.
    I'm interested to see what happens when UK matches up against a top team. I saw this quote in the paper today in reference to the relative ineptitude of the Vols:

When all is said and done, expect UK to have played exactly ONE team all season that winds up as a No. 4 seed or higher in the NCAA Tournament.
    Now you can't blame UK for the schedule because UConn, UNC, and UofL should have all been quality wins and Tennessee its normal fraudulent self but it is looking likely that the team they play in the sweet sixteen could be their toughest opponent all season.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I'm interested to see what happens when UK matches up against a top team. I saw this quote in the paper today in reference to the relative ineptitude of the Vols:

Now you can't blame UK for the schedule because UConn, UNC, and UofL should have all been quality wins and Tennessee its normal fraudulent self but it is looking likely that the team they play in the sweet sixteen could be their toughest opponent all season.
    Ultimately I believe it could come from the draw. Usually, the Sweet Sixteen matchups could turn out to be mid-majors such as Gonzaga, Butler, Temple, or BYU. Also a team who has fallen off somewhat, such as Texas.

I'm hoping UK gets the no 1 overall seed. I don't think it will be a cakewalk, but it does help in getting a more favorable road to Indianapolis.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

There are really only six or seven teams in the entire game that would be considered better than what Kentucky has already played.

I've got the following head and shoulders above the rest of the sport:

Kansas
    Kentucky
    Syracuse

Michigan State
    Villanova
    Georgetown

West Virginia
    Duke

Who else is better than Vanderbilt or Tennessee? Those are the likely 1-2 seeds (assuming no one catches fire and no one flames out) and, really, other than the three Big East teams and Kansas, none of them are a particularly tough match-up for Kentucky.

In fact, it could be argued both UT and Vandy are tougher match-ups (with inside players who play tough both inside and out, plus quick, strong guards who can shoot and drive equally well) than anyone but the top two and Georgetown (who, IMO, is a really tough team and a favorite for a Final Four berth, depending on seeding).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    In fact, it could be argued both UT and Vandy are tougher match-ups
    I agree on Vandy but not UT. I've seen Pearl-coached Tennessee teams get crushed far too often to consider them a tough match-up. Maybe I've just seen UK destroy them too many times combined with the memory of Louisville crushing Pearl's best shot at a championship two years ago.

And, when it comes down to it SEC basketball is just different than Big East and Big Ten basketball. UK plays much more physical than the rest of the SEC, a similar style of basketball to the other two conferences.

I'll add that a match-up of Greg Monroe and Cousins would be a sight to see.
    Last edited by joshnky; 02-14-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Disagree about the physicality of the SEC, johnsky. Mississippi State plays as physically as most Big Ten schools (and gets away with it). So does UT (this year) and Georgia always does (though they lack talent).

The main problem with the SEC, IMO, is that officials haven't decided how they want to call games. One game, teams are allowed to beat and bang-- the next, they're calling touch fouls. It's difficult to see the flow that made early 80's SEC games fun and exciting. (Of course, it helped to have guys like Chuck Person, Charles Barkley, Sam Bowie, Dominique Wilkins, and Dale Ellis in the league at that time.)

Going into the season, Kentucky had what looked like the toughest in the land. Who expected so many big name teams would have such awful seasons.

The remaining schedule for UK is absolutely brutal. If they finish 4-2 in those games, Cat fans should be ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Going into the season, Kentucky had what looked like the toughest in the land. Who expected so many big name teams would have such awful seasons.

The remaining schedule for UK is absolutely brutal. If they finish 4-2 in those games, Cat fans should be ecstatic.
    Agreed,

• Mississippi State @ Starkville, where the Bulldogs have an 11 game home winning streak.
    • Vanderbilt @ Nashville, where UK has had some pretty bad games, but none worse than the Music City Meltdown.
    • South Carolina @ Home. Revenge factor coming into play, just have to stop Downey.
    • Tennessee @ Knoxville. Will be a lot closer than the game at Rupp.
    • Georgia @ Athens. Outside of South Carolina, the only other SEC team to play Kentucky tough this season, and this one was at Rupp. I'm worried about this game.
    • Florida @ Rupp. Senior Day, but Florida could be fighting for its NCAA life.

That all being said, the remainder of this month and the SEC tournament could ultimately determine if UK remains a no 1 seed or even slips to as low as a no 3.

I'm glad we have the toughest part of our schedule at the end. These kinds of tests are what they need at this point.

I guess Miss. St. fans found out Cousins' phone #...

his facebook update:

man dis to funny ...gotta get my number changed ..AGAIN! ....miss st. fans got my number on they message boards and on twitter ...gotta hotline right now ...so far i been called 34 n-bombs ....106 bwords ...lets see wat today brings ...lmao

Turn Off Ads?