Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Interesting that Wall is Player of the Year but not Freshman of the Year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kinda thought Cal should have gotten coach of the year over Bill Dauterive...
    I agree completely, and I don't think I'm just being a homer.

How much do those Mustangs cost? I'm not too crazy about the blue section on top. Wouldn't it have looked better if the whole car had been blue?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I agree completely, and I don't think I'm just being a homer.

How much do those Mustangs cost? I'm not too crazy about the blue section on top. Wouldn't it have looked better if the whole car had been blue?
    A reflection of what the other coaches in the league think of Cal. I'm betting when the media announces their selections it's the other way around.

Hell, all things being equal, I think I may have voted for Pearl, considering what he had to deal with.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    My guess is they did it to keep both of them happy. Both of them were equally deserving.

I would have just made them co-POY and co-FOY.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

My guess is they did it to keep both of them happy. Both of them were equally deserving.

I would have just made them co-POY and co-FOY.
    That would have made more sense IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Hell, all things being equal, I think I may have voted for Pearl, considering what he had to deal with.
    Agreed.

Here's Gary Parrish's picks for the SEC.

Coach of the Year: John Calipari (Kentucky)
    Player of the Year: John Wall (Kentucky)
    Freshman of the Year: John Wall (Kentucky)

G: John Wall (Kentucky)
    G: Devan Downey (South Carolina)
    F: Patrick Patterson (Kentucky)
    F: DeMarcus Cousins (Kentucky)
    F: Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State)

Spreading the wealth around? Co POY and Co FOY would have been best like others have said.
    Calipari not getting COY is just backlash at him from the other coaches. No one has done a better job considering he was brand new at UK and basically had a whole new team to put together and make them into one. That's extremely hard to do and no one could have done it any better than he did.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Spreading the wealth around? Co POY and Co FOY would have been best like others have said.
    Calipari not getting COY is just backlash at him from the other coaches. No one has done a better job considering he was brand new at UK and basically had a whole new team to put together and make them into one. That's extremely hard to do and no one could have done it any better than he did.
    Granted, I'm a Vandy homer, but which is more impressive, 14-2 at Kentucky or 12-4 at Vandy?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Granted, I'm a Vandy homer, but which is more impressive, 14-2 at Kentucky or 12-4 at Vandy?
    I'll take 14-2 anyday no matter the school.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'll take 14-2 anyday no matter the school.
    So the coach with the best record is automatically COY regardless of resources, talent, expectations? That sure makes it easy.

So the coach with the best record is automatically COY regardless of resources, talent, expectations? That sure makes it easy.
    I don't know, I'm not a UK fan at all, but I probably would have still voted for Calipari.

He's in his first year, installing a brand new system, and has had to rely on freshman players. You never really know what you are going to get with freshman, even with guys like Wall. College is a very different game, and you aren't playing against lesser talented high school kids anymore. There are tons of highly rated high school players that come into major college D1 ball and disappoint, or turn out to be projects. It's also harder than people think blending together a bunch of freshman to play as a team. Most of them are used to being the man at the high school level, doesn't work that way in college.

Just as an outsider, I didn't think UK would be as good as they are this year. Calipari didn't walk into a horrible situation, but he's maximized the talent he inherited, and done a lot with the players he brought in. I would have voted for him to be COY in the SEC.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I don't know, I'm not a UK fan at all, but I probably would have still voted for Calipari.

He's in his first year, installing a brand new system, and has had to rely on freshman players. You never really know what you are going to get with freshman, even with guys like Wall. College is a very different game, and you aren't playing against lesser talented high school kids anymore. There are tons of highly rated high school players that come into major college D1 ball and disappoint, or turn out to be projects. It's also harder than people think blending together a bunch of freshman to play as a team. Most of them are used to being the man at the high school level, doesn't work that way in college.

Just as an outsider, I didn't think UK would be as good as they are this year. Calipari didn't walk into a horrible situation, but he's maximized the talent he inherited, and done a lot with the players he brought in. I would have voted for him to be COY in the SEC.
    That's a very good argument. Well said.

For my money though, the guy who did more with less and got the most out of what he had was Pearl. When Smith got booted from the team, a lot of people thought their season was basically finished. He did a fantastic job keeping that team focused and playing together.

Kinda thought Cal should have gotten coach of the year over Bill Dauterive, but not a bad showing in the SEC.
    If Cal hand landed that award, it would have been quite the resume padder for Mitch Barnhardt.

That would have meant that both the UK men's and women's basketball team would have swept the categories:

• SEC Coach of the Year
    • SEC Player of the Year
    • SEC Freshman of the Year

Cal was obviously the weak link in the equation....

Let the ribbing at Memorial Coliseum begin.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

This regular season has been a dream.

And it's looking like this 2010 class could end up being ridiculous after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?