Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's a weak deflection WMR. First of all the NY Times is a national paper. It considers itself to be the "paper of record"(a big deal in journalism circles.) With a story as big as Kentucky possibly playing someone who was ineligible, they break that story every day as soon as they are able. They don't hold on to it until either a) something happens to a NE school so they can "protect" it or b) Until after something happens at a NE school so that it has it's own storyline.

Follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion, do you think the Times knew about this story for some time and had the sources necessary to print it but didn't?
    Or that they had just gotten enough sources but should have held onto the story until the UConn story had been fully played out?

I can all but guarantee you that with a)the Kentucky story being as potentially huge as it is, and b)the competition to get a story like this out and break the news as hard as it is, the only consideration given was if there were enough sources to go to print. They wouldn't have cared if the entire Big East had gone on probation they would have printed the story as soon as they had enough sources to make it "legitimate."
    Not buying it.

Of course, I wouldn't use the NYT for anything other than lining my bird cage.

edit: The NYT considers themselves the 'paper of record'?? LOL, Good for them. I don't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Of course it will come down on him. Hell it already is. Point is, he didn't have anything to do with Eric while all this alleged 'STUFF' was going down.
    I know and he didn't know about Marcus Camby talking to an agent, and how was he to know that Derrick Rose drove from Chicago to Detroit to take his SAT's, and he certainly would have put a stop to all these terrible things going on if only he knew.

The good news for Cal is that if these allegations do stick, he'll have a nice fall back coaching Lebron James somewhere in the NBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I know and he didn't know about Marcus Camby talking to an agent, and how was he to know that Derrick Rose drove from Chicago to Detroit to take his SAT's, and he certainly would have put a stop to all these terrible things going on if only he knew.

The good news for Cal is that if these allegations do stick, he'll have a nice fall back coaching Lebron James somewhere in the NBA.
    And I know that you along with every other Hoosier, Cardinal, and Volunteer will be praying every night to baby Jesus that the worst comes to pass.

I mean seriously an "on-line" biology course?
    Most of our summer school kids take on-line courses. It costs the kid $170 and is available to all of them, not just star athletes. (Like we'd ever have one of those.)

For a poor school district (or one that's trying to keep a better eye on the bottom line), it's far cheaper than paying somewhere between $2500 and $5000 for a Biology teacher to come in for two or three weeks, especially when considering other kids need everything from Basic Health to Agriscience to US History (not to mention the four Englishes, four maths, and at least three other sciences).

You pay an Instructional Aide $10 an hour to watch 30 or so kids while they try to puzzle out problems on their own. If they need help on particular problems, there's always a teacher around to help (generally for free, as most teachers are easy marks willing to work with a student who truly wants help).

I'm guessing Bledsoe is like about 25% of the students in my high school (or almost any low income public high school, for that matter). He didn't listen to his teachers. His parents didn't care or see the value in an education (or wasn't all that willing to put in extra time it takes). He was lazy in the extreme (as it takes work to fail in today's educational world of quadruple redundancies, individualized learning plans, and No Child Left Behind.

Funny that the NY Times prints this crap the same day UCONN gets hit with 8 major rules violations by the NCAA. TOTAL coincidence I'm sure.
    Wow. Talk about grasping for straws.

The reputation of the NY Times is beyond reproach, but, yeah, they're probably planning their reporting around their hatred for UK.

Not buying it.

Of course, I wouldn't use the NYT for anything other than lining my bird cage.
    So which was it?
    Did they know about the story early and hold on until the UConn thing broke?
    Sports Editor: DANGIT, UCONN hit with 8 violations, I can't have this, think of all the UCONN alums who read my paper? It's okay, think, think,
    Wait I've got it. Thamel,Evans, don't you have a Kentucky story that I told you to put in the drawer a month ago to hold onto until a NE school got hit with bad news from the NCAA? I knew that would come in handy.

Or did the Times "discover" this story in the 10 hours after UCONN was hit?
    Sports Editor: DANGIT, UCONN hit with 8 violations, I can't have this, think of all the UCONN alums who read my paper? It's okay, think, think,
    Wait I've got it. THamel, Evans, I need something on Kentucky.
    Evans; But what about this UCONN story, shouldn't we cover this?
    Sports Editor: No, silly, we're based in New York, we can't possibly write a story on a NE team's violations. We need something to take peoples attention away from that.
    Thamel: But Why Kentucky? I mean there's a lot of schools out there, Kansas, Oklahoma, USC,
    Sports Editor: No no, it has to be Kentucky. The Kansas story has already been broken, and lets face it, it's not exactly news when Oklahoma or USC breaks the rules. No it has to be Kentucky. I bet they used an ineligible player. In the next ten hours I want you to find the high school transcripts for each of their players from last year, talk to the coaches and teachers at those schools find some bitter rival coaches(I'll grant this may have happened yesterday) and call Kentucky just to get their useless denial.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

The reputation of the NY Times is beyond reproach

I'll have to remember that one.

So which was it?
    Did they know about the story early and hold on until the UConn thing broke?
    Wait I've got it. Thamel,Evans, don't you have a Kentucky story that I told you to put in the drawer a month ago to hold onto until a NE school got hit with bad news from the NCAA? I knew that would come in handy.

Or did the Times "discover" this story in the 10 hours after UCONN was hit?
    Wait I've got it. THamel, Evans, I need something on Kentucky.
    Evans; But what about this UCONN story, shouldn't we cover this?
    Sports Editor: No, silly, we're based in New York, we can't possibly write a story on a NE team's violations. We need something to take peoples attention away from that.
    Thamel: But Why Kentucky? I mean there's a lot of schools out there, Kansas, Oklahoma, USC,
    Sports Editor: No no, it has to be Kentucky. The Kansas story has already been broken, and lets face it, it's not exactly news when Oklahoma or USC breaks the rules. No it has to be Kentucky. I bet they used an ineligible player. In the next ten hours I want you to find the high school transcripts for each of their players from last year, talk to the coaches and teachers at those schools find some bitter rival coaches(I'll grant this may have happened yesterday) and call Kentucky just to get their useless denial.
    The weakness is that they printed this crap article in the first place.

'UNNAMED COLLEGE COACH'

LMAO.

So, WMR, you're saying the New York Times is intentionally making up a story to keep interested eyes away from UConn?

Really?

No but I think they've had this weak-ass article on a shelf somewhere for some time now.

And I would love to tell you more about what I think about the NYT, but site rules prevent that.

The weakness is that they printed this crap article in the first place.

'UNNAMED COLLEGE COACH'

LMAO.
    Lots of articles use unnamed sources. And admittedly there are grey areas where it should and shouldn't be used. But tell me why you think its crap in this case?

Just curious why you think so little of the NY Times? Due to their editorial board? Or their reporting? Have they specifically reported something inaccurately that made you decide they weren't worthwhile? Because quite honestly if the NY Times isn't considered to be a worthwhile journalistic source, I struggle to think who would be.

Because quite honestly if the NY Times isn't considered to be a worthwhile journalistic source, I struggle to think who would be.
    You might be onto something there.

No but I think they've had this weak-ass article on a shelf somewhere for some time now.
    So it's understandable that you think the story's weak, but obviously it had interest.
    You think they would sit on it,(until a northeastern school or someone they were trying to protect) had a big violation, and risk being scooped by another site?

I mean in your opinion, there's not much to report on, so it's not inconceivable that another site could also do very little reporting and stumble upon it. I know you think the media is out to get Coach Cal so it's not like ESPN and Fox Sports and the Kentucky Herald Leader wouldn't be motivated. But you think the Times would risk being scooped and sit on the story?
    WHY?

Absolutely no chance that this happened.

That's like saying the Watergate story wouldn't have broken if the Redskins hadn't lost to the Cowboys and the Post needed a bigger story to distract their audience.

You might be onto something there.
    Fair enough. But do me a favor. Every time you post any article, link, etc. You should also put, "This site is not as well thought of as the New York Times."

Fair enough. But do me a favor. Every time you post any article, link, etc. You should also put, "This site is not as well thought of as the New York Times."
    I link to sites all the times. Hell, even the holy NYT. Doesn't mean I'm buying all or any of what they're selling.

Turn Off Ads?