Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 67 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Hoosier are you watching the US v. Turkey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    So it's understandable that you think the story's weak, but obviously it had interest.
    You think they would sit on it,(until a northeastern school or someone they were trying to protect) had a big violation, and risk being scooped by another site?

I mean in your opinion, there's not much to report on, so it's not inconceivable that another site could also do very little reporting and stumble upon it. I know you think the media is out to get Coach Cal so it's not like ESPN and Fox Sports and the Kentucky Herald Leader wouldn't be motivated. But you think the Times would risk being scooped and sit on the story?
    WHY?

Absolutely no chance that this happened.

That's like saying the Watergate story wouldn't have broken if the Redskins hadn't lost to the Cowboys and the Post needed a bigger story to distract their audience.
    Who's the sports editor over there at the NYT, these days... probably married to a UCONN grad.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hoosier are you watching the US v. Turkey?
    Back and forth on my computer. Brilliant cross by Altidore, too bad Dempsey couldn't get there.
    Spector's looked worse than horrific.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Cool, I'm going to post something in the WC thread. you should respond.

So you trust no journalistic sources?

So, if anyone breaks a story on Kentucky, you wouldn't believe them?

Nice, that.

Saves valuable thinking time.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

So you trust no journalistic sources?

So, if anyone breaks a story on Kentucky, you wouldn't believe them?

Nice, that.

Saves valuable thinking time.
    Of course not. I judge every piece of journalism I encounter by the same standard. GIVE ME EVIDENCE. EVIDENCE. Not a bunch of suppositional crap.

I expect at least a SMIDGEN of evidence of wrong-doing by a University before you basically drag them through the mud.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-29-2010 at 03:14 PM.

But they weren't dragging the university through the mud.

They reported that Eric Bledsoe might be guilty of cheating while still in high school, both academically and through illegal payments. It said nothing about Calipari or Kentucky.

There was very little supposition in the article.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

But they weren't dragging the university through the mud.

They reported that Eric Bledsoe might be guilty of cheating while still in high school, both academically and through illegal payments. It said nothing about Calipari or Kentucky.

There was very little supposition in the article.
    The aspersions they were casting are clear. SO AND SO unnamed coach says, 'You need xxx amount of dollars to get this kid.'

Kid goes to UK to play for Satan himself John Calipari.

My guess for the sore loser is Mr. King of the On-Court Chicken Dance.

If they had limited the scope of the article to the landlady and that issue, I wouldn't have had as much a problem with the article. BUT they didn't do that, because then you can't drag Kentucky into it.

Of course not. I judge every piece of journalism I encounter by the same standard. GIVE ME EVIDENCE. EVIDENCE. Not a bunch of suppositional crap.

I expect at least a SMIDGEN of evidence of wrong-doing by a University before you basically drag them through the mud.
    What constitutes evidence in your mind?

The story is that the NCAA is investigating. Should they not report that?
    They looked into what potentially the NCAA was investigating.

They interviewed the landlady(and give fair treatment to the coach who denies her claim)

They reviewed the transcript through his junior year and interviewed an "experienced compliance officer" who explained what would need to happen in order for Bledsoe to become eligible.

They reviewed the circumstances to Bledsoe's high school move. They interviewed the coach at his former high school who described it as "suspicious." And it's not like the former high school coach has an ax to grind, he was trying to help Bledsoe get into a Christian high school when he found out that he was going to transfer.

They interviewed a teacher at Bledsoe's second high school. Then the principal at the high school who gave his account as to how again it was possible for Bledsoe to make the necessary grades.

Who should they have talked to and didn't(or didn't attempt to.)
    What should they have included or omitted?

Who's the sports editor over there at the NYT, these days... probably married to a UCONN grad.
    Tom Jolly is the sports editor. He could be a UCONN grad(I checked, he didn't) and it wouldn't have played a part into breaking the Kentucky story.

I'm not trying to sell you the Times believe it or not, the article is investigative journalism which has a lot of ethical and journalistic issues. But its an important type of journalism, and everything I read in this piece is factual. The article lays out the facts for the reader and lets the reader make up his own mind. I don't know where the fault of the Times is here.

But I think it's too easy to simply attack the Times and say "The Times? Why should I believe them?"
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Yay!

Now there's a source of journalistic integrity.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Now there's a source of journalistic integrity.
    LOL he knows the NCAA rule book.

Yay!

LOL he knows the NCAA rule book.
    Yeah. I doubt it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    What constitutes evidence in your mind?

The story is that the NCAA is investigating. Should they not report that?
    They looked into what potentially the NCAA was investigating.

They interviewed the landlady(and give fair treatment to the coach who denies her claim)

They reviewed the transcript through his junior year and interviewed an "experienced compliance officer" who explained what would need to happen in order for Bledsoe to become eligible.

They reviewed the circumstances to Bledsoe's high school move. They interviewed the coach at his former high school who described it as "suspicious." And it's not like the former high school coach has an ax to grind, he was trying to help Bledsoe get into a Christian high school when he found out that he was going to transfer.

They interviewed a teacher at Bledsoe's second high school. Then the principal at the high school who gave his account as to how again it was possible for Bledsoe to make the necessary grades.

Who should they have talked to and didn't(or didn't attempt to.)
    What should they have included or omitted?

Tom Jolly is the sports editor. He could be a UCONN grad(I checked, he didn't) and it wouldn't have played a part into breaking the Kentucky story.

I'm not trying to sell you the Times believe it or not, the article is investigative journalism which has a lot of ethical and journalistic issues. But its an important type of journalism, and everything I read in this piece is factual. The article lays out the facts for the reader and lets the reader make up his own mind. I don't know where the fault of the Times is here.

But I think it's too easy to simply attack the Times and say "The Times? Why should I believe them?"
    The grade stuff is fine too. That's a total non-story IMO.

Get back to that UNNAMED COLLEGE COACH. Crap like that seems better suited for TMZ Sports than the NEW YORK TIMES, but maybe I just overestimated them.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Turn Off Ads?