Results 991 to 1,000 of 1000

Thread: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Re: 2010 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 5th edition

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Sorry, this doesn't compute.

Top 3 recruiter? Yes.

Best recruiter? Possibly so.

Top 5 coach? No way, no how.

I do agree that there's no way Cal or anyone is promising Anthony Davis $200K.
    I do agree with this, and it was one of my biggest drawbacks with Cal when he was hired.

The guy can recruit the best of the best and bring them to Lexington, but you have to honestly hope everything is clicking when they play.

This is where Cal and Quick Rick are similar (although you could make the argument Pitino has lost his recruiting edge). Both are/were excellent recruiters, but in-game coaches they were not.

Cal's teams, even at Memphis, always have a tendency to bow out a round earlier than they should. West Virginia this year, Missouri the year before, and losing the national championship to Kansas before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Who's better?

I'll accept K and Izzo.

Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Who's better?

I'll accept K and Izzo.

Who else?
    Before we begin on that, could you clarify what you meant by top 5 coach in your original statement? I took it as coaching independent of recruiting since you listed recruiting separately. If so, I can come up with a pretty substantial list of guys I'd take over Calipari if given equal talent. If not, then I could see the argument for him being top 5.

By any definition, Roy Williams is clearly better. It would get a bit murky after that.

Top Five overall.

Roy Williams? That one's arguable.

Has Calipari ever done less with more like Williams did this past season? Seven McDonald's All-Americans garners how many wins? 20-17 was patently offensive for a team with that much talent.

I would break it down this way:

Top Overall Coaches:
    Tom Izzo
    Coach K
    Bill Self
    Roy Williams

You could even make an argument for Jim Calhoun.

These are the guys who can sell ice to eskimos and back it up on the court. They are the complete package.

John Calipari and Bob Huggins are two that I believe could join the ranks but on different levels. Cal is a great recruiter while Huggins is a better in-game coach. A national championship by either one would put them in that category.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thank God Steves Gone

nm

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I would break it down this way:

Top Overall Coaches:
    Tom Izzo
    Coach K
    Bill Self
    Roy Williams

You could even make an argument for Jim Calhoun.

These are the guys who can sell ice to eskimos and back it up on the court. They are the complete package.

John Calipari and Bob Huggins are two that I believe could join the ranks but on different levels. Cal is a great recruiter while Huggins is a better in-game coach. A national championship by either one would put them in that category.
    You're telling me you would take Calhoun or Self over Cal? That's nuts, IMO. I wouldn't take Cryin' Roy either but you can at least make a decent argument for Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Before we begin on that, could you clarify what you meant by top 5 coach in your original statement? I took it as coaching independent of recruiting since you listed recruiting separately. If so, I can come up with a pretty substantial list of guys I'd take over Calipari if given equal talent. If not, then I could see the argument for him being top 5.

By any definition, Roy Williams is clearly better. It would get a bit murky after that.
    Recruiting is at least 85% of "Coaching" these days in collegiate athletics.

As Billy G said when I asked him about recruiting, "It's the most important thing we do."

Time for a new thread already...

Turn Off Ads?