Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reds Crown Jewels

The Reds Crown Jewels

Anyone remember the last time the Reds had what they called the Crown Jewels, I believe it was Davis, Larkin, Stillwell, Daniels, Jones and O'neill if Im not mistaken, is there gonna be a six pack comparable on the 2010 Reds that could rival the original Crown Jewels.

my 2K10 Crown Jewels by September 1st

Votto
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Heisey
    Cisco
    Alonso

then they must chose to trade someone like they did Stillwell, who will it be, choose but choose wisely

Last edited by icehole3; 01-02-2010 at 03:50 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The Reds Crown Jewels

If I had to pick 6, I would go Bruce, Votto, Bailey, Cueto, Leake and I don't know if there is anyone else.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Anyone remember the last time the Reds had what they called the Crown Jewels, I believe it was Davis, Larkin, Stillwell, Daniels, Jones and O'neill if Im not mistaken, is there gonna be a six pack comparable on the 2010 Reds that could rival the original Crown Jewels.

my 2K10 Crown Jewels by September 1st

Votto
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Heisey
    Cisco
    Alonso

then they must chose to trade someone like they did Stillwell, who will it be, choose but choose wisely

Votto I'll give you, Bruce is a maybe.

The rest are HUGE question marks. Frazier is a man without a position, Heisey we have no idea what to expect, I assume you're talking about Juan Francisco, who's also a man without a position unless he's going to be a long term LF or a 3B post 2012, and Alonso will never play for the Reds (or if he does, that means Votto will no longer be a Red).

So, I guess I really missed something with this whole crown jewels thing, b/c right now I see 1 legit guy, 1 maybe, and 4 HUGE questions marks. Pretty ugly crown, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So, I guess I really missed something with this whole crown jewels thing, b/c right now I see 1 legit guy, 1 maybe, and 4 HUGE questions marks. Pretty ugly crown, if you ask me.
    Of course those were considered crown jewels when they were in the minors too. You just aren't looking at it in the same context as it was then.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course those were considered crown jewels when they were in the minors too. You just aren't looking at it in the same context as it was then.
    You're right, I'm looking at it in the context of guys that have done something @ the MLB level.

That's how I judge my prospects. Show me something when and where it counts.

You're right, I'm looking at it in the context of guys that have done something @ the MLB level.

That's how I judge my prospects. Show me something when and where it counts.
    They are no longer prospects at that point though. When the guys in the original post were 'the crown jewels' they weren't even in the majors.

They are no longer prospects at that point though. When the guys in the original post were 'the crown jewels' they weren't even in the majors.
    Then this thread is basically "Who's your Top 6 Reds propsects?"

I'll pass.

Talk to me when these kids have done something for the Reds, either on the field, or via the talent we receive via trade.

it was just a prediction thread and thinking that by September some of those guys would have about 100 ABs, looking back at the 1987 season, I didnt realize how much playing time the Originals had, I dont think my guys will get that much major league play but I do think its possible for them all to reach the majors by September, I guess anything is possible, it was just a thread to see what other thoughts were out there.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1987.shtml

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If I had to pick 6, I would go Bruce, Votto, Bailey, Cueto, Leake and I don't know if there is anyone else.
    Those are the 5 I'd go with as well. Alonso too. But for the life of me I just don't see him ever playing in a Cincy uniform. I don't see the Reds moving Votto to left, and Yonder is apparently incapable of playing anywhere but 1st. That makes Yonder trade-bait if I ever saw it.

Then this thread is basically "Who's your Top 6 Reds propsects?"

I'll pass.

Talk to me when these kids have done something for the Reds, either on the field, or via the talent we receive via trade.
    I'll take it as a " young,productive guys who could be with the Reds long term" thread.

Votto
    Bruce
    Baily
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Phillips

Nice post; I actually thought about something similar to this awhile back. It has been a long time since the Reds have had such a nice group of young potential building blocks. My guess is that it will be another twenty years before we see another group of this collective caliber.

If I remember correctly, the "Crown Jewels" of yesteryear were all homegrown talent--promising but unproven young players--when the term came about. Some of themended up panning out (Eric Davis, Barry Larkin), others didn't (Kal Daniels, Tracy Jones, Kurt Stillwell) and one did, but did even more with another team (Paul O'Neill). In any case, here is my list:

Joey Votto
    Jay Bruce
    Johnny Cueto
    Homer Bailey
    Edinson Volquez
    Yonder Alonso

I don't include Phillips here because he's already proven to an extent that the others are not. Votto almost doesn't make the list because he's on the verge of being a known quantity. The others, I think, are about right for the original term.

I agree with Doug that Mike Leake could also make the list quite soon. I left him off of mine just because he has yet to throw much for the Reds organization.

FWIW, I find it quite encouraging that no less than three (and perhaps four if you include Leake) on the list are pitchers.
    Last edited by RedEye; 01-02-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Crown Jewels:
    Joey Votto
    Jay Bruce
    Homer Bailey
    Johnny Cueto

That is all.

Everyone else has serious work to do. The next echelon of prospects and players all are good, but not on that top shelf. Stubbs, Alonso, Frazier (who has the best chance to move up), Leake (a good chance to be very good quickly for a long time), and perhaps Heisey, Masset, or Francisco.

There is some very good talent there and it will all be cheap for at least another three or four years. If they progress as well as prospect mavens like doug insist they will, the Reds should be set by next year at the outside.

For now, however, only those Fantastic Four need apply.

You know....It"s fascinating the lack of love for Drew Stubbs. I was VERY skeptical of Stubbs after he passed through Dayton and he didn't do anything elsewhere in the minors to make me change my mind. After his cup of coffee last year, I'm as high on Stubbs as I've ever been.

Yet, Chris Heisy is a crown jewel? I would put Stubbs in front of several players mentioned here.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    You know....It"s fascinating the lack of love for Drew Stubbs. I was VERY skeptical of Stubbs after he passed through Dayton and he didn't do anything elsewhere in the minors to make me change my mind. After his cup of coffee last year, I'm as high on Stubbs as I've ever been.

Yet, Chris Heisy is a crown jewel? I would put Stubbs in front of several players mentioned here.

I'd put Stubbs and Dickerson above Heisy and Frazier right now.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 01-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.

I think we have three potential elite position players, plus one who is now 34 years old: Votto, Bruce, Alonso, Rolen. One potentially elite pitcher: Bailey.

Turn Off Ads?