Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cheng Ming Wang

Cheng Ming Wang

I know the ORG discussed him a bit, but I thought we should do the same here.

I think he is worth giving a Minor League deal w/ ST invite. Her are his numbers before his injury he never recovered from last year:

If you take his ERA before the injury in 2008 he was hovering around a 3.5 ERA in the AL East.

He won 19 games in back to back seasons.

Cashman says his release point was 5 inches higher after the injury.

If he can get adjusted back to where he was and was placed in the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation I think he would dominate our division.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cheng Ming Wang

I'm all for it... If we could have him for cheap it would be terrific.

Prolific ground ball pitcher, worth taking a chance on.

The reason that this is not likely is because there will be other teams that will either have the ability to give him more money or the ability to give him a shot at making a team is more likely to compete this year.

Gary Redus Ruled

Hell get paid.....forget about Cincy for him.
    Hoping for another Reds October

I think I heard he would'nt be ready til June.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by double21d View Post
    The reason that this is not likely is because there will be other teams that will either have the ability to give him more money or the ability to give him a shot at making a team is more likely to compete this year.
    Agreed, unfortunately.

We have a chance of signing him to pitch for us, that I put just above our chances of signing Matt Holiday to play LF for us.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I think he's got as good a chance to pitch in Cincy as anywhere....it's not like the rotation is so solid it's set in stone. I think it comes down to two questions:

1. Will the Reds offer a deal (probably full of incentives) that is even close to other teams?
    2. Would he think that he has the best chance of pitching here to prove himself and set himself up for a mega-contract in '11?
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?