Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is "momentum" in the NFL Playoffs?

Re: How important is "momentum" in the NFL Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I think momentum before the playoffs is irrelevant. The important thing is momentum IN the playoffs.
    That's very true. But if you don't have it going into the post-season, then what are the odds you're going to have it IN the post-season.

And a lot of what many of you are saying is true, and a factor obviously. And probably more important factors then momentum.

But having momentum doesn't hurt. And I think most of us would agree that any team that goes into the post-season without it, maybe on a mini-losing streak at season's end, is a team that could very well be in trouble.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Momentum is EVERYTHING... but I agree that it has to start in the playoffs, not the regular season. Although, I don't see how a team can do what the Bengals have done (barely winning easy games and losing a few games) and immediately turn on the momentum once the post season begins.
    Any hope that Bengals fans are to have, may come after reading this:

Last year's Cardinals took the cake, though. After virtually locking up the NFC West with a 7-3 start, Arizona took the rest of the season off. Finishing 2-4, the Cardinals lost to the Giants by eight and the Eagles -- the same team they'd beat in the NFC Championship Game -- by 28. It got worse in December. Playing two playoff-caliber teams, the Cardinals lost by 21 to the Vikings and the Patriots by 40. The idea that they had momentum is absurd; time will not produce a better example of a team limping into the playoffs for decades.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Bruschi weighs in again:

Former Patriots LB Tedy Bruschi revealed a surprising playoff prediction in his role as an ESPN analyst on Tuesday. The Jets, and not Bruschi's former team, are the more likely AFC wild-card participant to earn a spot in the Super Bowl, he said.
    "I think this (Wes) Welker injury is huge for the New England Patriots," Bruschi said on SportsCenter today. "I know how valuable this kid is to that team."
    Welker is out for the playoffs after suffering torn knee ligaments in the season finale. Bruschi said the Jets, who boast the top-rated defense, the top-rated rushing defense and the top-rated rushing offense, could be built for a deep postseason run:

"Without Welker, I see (the Patriots) beating Baltimore. But going into San Diego, it's going to be very difficult to do. And when I look at the Jets, I just see a physical offensive line that can move that ball. ... And also that defense. Darrelle Revis can take a receiver out of the game."

Bruschi also said he expects the Jets can beat the Bengals in the wild-card game and then beat top-seeded Indianapolis to advance to the AFC title game:

"When I look at the Colts, I see a team that really doesn't have that thing that I look for in teams that win Super Bowls -- that heart of a champion. I see them not going for 16-0; I see them going for meaningless individual statistics. I don't think that's a Super Bowl champion. I think a Super Bowl champion is the team that plays hard, that's physical, that wants to win every single game."

The second-seeded Chargers, Bruschi cautioned, should be considered the AFC favorites to reach the Super. But among the teams playing this weekend in the wild-card games, he likes the Jets' chances of making it to Miami.
    In the NFC, Bruschi added, he thinks the Cowboys, despite not having won a postseason game since the 1996 season, have the best chance to advance from wild-card weekend to the championship game.
    "I think the Cowboys bust the trend of losing in the playoffs," he said, "and they actually have a push toward the Super Bowl." -- Sean Leahy
    Bruschi's really doesn't like the Colts.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I didn't know Tedy Bruschi was a drug user, but if he thinks the Jets have a shot to play in the Super Bowl, then he must be. Please.

Oh, and yesterday said on NFL Live that the Bengals have the best chance (of the rematch games) to reverse their fortunes.

Last edited by macro; 01-06-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

While I agreed with what the Colts did against the Jets, Bruschi acts like it was the players who layed down and didn't want to win when it was a management decision not to play the starters. Had the starters been in the Jets game they would not of "layed down" like Bruschi believed they would.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    While I agreed with what the Colts did against the Jets, Bruschi acts like it was the players who layed down and didn't want to win when it was a management decision not to play the starters. Had the starters been in the Jets game they would not of "layed down" like Bruschi believed they would.
    Just because someone is a good, smart football player it doesn't mean they are good on TV. Time will still tell with Bruschi but so far I haven't been impressed.

Chad had an interesting comment about the game on Sunday. He said it was "preseason vanilla" in referring to the game plan. Now if you are a player, playing in sub freezing temperatures, playing in a game where the game plan is vanilla, not wanting to get hurt, and having players held out because of "rest", how hard are you going to play? Sure the Bengals had their starters in but the intensity wasn't there. And it is perfectly acceptable if you ask me. Im not trying to make excuses but if a coach says were not going all in to win why would you expect your regular players to go all in?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Bruschi weighs in again:

Bruschi's really doesn't like the Colts.
    Bruschi is such a tool.

On one hand, he criticizes the Colts for not playing their starters.

On the other he admits that now the Pats are going to struggle big time in the playoffs because Wes Welker got injured in a game with nothing at stake.

You would think that with that admission that Bruschi might see why its prudent to consider benching players? Hmmm, so the Pats dont have their Welker, and have a banged up QB. The Colts have healthy Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning. Pretty obvious who is coming ahead here.

Turn Off Ads?