Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I missed that blizzard. But I heard a lot about it from family.

I was in my last year in the Navy, and my ship made a port call in the Virgin Islands (St Thomas). The only white stuff I was experiencing was white sandy beaches as I lounged around in my cut-offs, drinking pina coladas.
    If those cut-offs were anything like mine you've burned all the pictures.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I wasn't walking to Walnut Hills from College Hill. Finding a bus to get home after the teachers went on strike was adventure enough.
    No doubt... I remember that strike, my teachers striked the year after I left, ruined a mess of folks school life, including my wifes.

I lived in my first apartment then, in St. Bernard, a three room shotgun place.
    Hmmm we may be some what aquainted with each other or at least no the names. I lived in that area at the time as well although from what you say you are a smidge older than me . I remember this winter as well made for some fast sled rides behind the elementary school. The snow wasn't powdered it was frozen and crusted over, made the ride into "dead mans ditch" real fun for us kids...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No doubt... I remember that strike, my teachers striked the year after I left, ruined a mess of folks school life, including my wifes.
    Got me shipped off to Cincinnati Country Day.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    If those cut-offs were anything like mine you've burned all the pictures.
    LOL

Today you buy the cut-offs. Back then, when a pair of jean started showing wear in the knees, you made them cut-offs. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The main problem with some folks with 4 wheel drive isn't the fact they believe they can drive the normal speed limit,

It's that they fail to realize what's gonna happen when they hit the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The main problem with some folks with 4 wheel drive isn't the fact they believe they can drive the normal speed limit,

And probably the fact that none of them know what to do when they start losing traction. I learned to drive in the snowy winters of Northeast Ohio in a big old Pontiac Grand Prix with rear wheel drive. I remember having to put cinder blocks in the trunk and getting snow tires put on in the winter. Even at that, driving that thing was like driving a bobsled. You had to know what to do when the car started sliding, especially when stopping on a hill, otherwise you'd slide all the way down, taking out everything in your path.

Now, with all the traction control, automatic transmission, 4 wheel drive and such, no one knows what to do when they start sliding, or how to get through when the snow is deep. My wife gets stuck in the driveway all the time when we get a big snow and haven't had time to clear the drive. She pulls into the drive, loses traction and gets stuck. Fortunately, her car can switch to tap shift manual and you can turn off the traction control, so I get in her car and power right through. If you can maintain forward momentum and control your slide, you can make it into the garage, easy-peasy. My car is manual, so I don't have those problems. Driver assistance technologies can only do so much. The driver still has to know what to do when the conditions are too much for that stuff to handle.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

It was Clint who once said "A mans got to know his limitations"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I made the trek across the river, or started it. We got halfway out and I looked down and could see water flowing under the ice, saw the thousands of yahoos just like me and we decided maybe it wasn't a great idea.
    Here are lots of pics of the frozen river and related views of the deep freeze.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...1180802&Ref=PH

They called off school here today - but not because of snow. The buses wouldn't start, because the temperature overnight dropped to -25. That's not a typo. Minus 25. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    They called off school here today - but not because of snow. The buses wouldn't start, because the temperature overnight dropped to -25. That's not a typo. Minus 25. Crazy stuff.
    In '78 I shattered one of our plastic garbage cans in weather like that. Just dropped it on the curb and it broke like candy glass.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

East coast got hit hard again last night. I was lucky enough to make it home last night, which unfortunately can't be said for many people. On my commute to work this morning, I have seen 30 abandoned cars along 83 south and other major roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    East coast got hit hard again last night. I was lucky enough to make it home last night, which unfortunately can't be said for many people. On my commute to work this morning, I have seen 30 abandoned cars along 83 south and other major roads.
    We got about 8-9 inches of snow in about 6 hours last night. The snow was so heavy it cracked a lot of trees-- my neighborhood looks a bit like a war zone. The kids are off school again tommorow -- 3 days in a row --basically because the geniuses that run the school system don't know how to work with the county to get things plowed in a timely manner.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?