Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    30 years ago cars weighed twice as much and thus were able to handle better in the snow than cars now. With that said, people in Cincinnati do seem to go a bit crazy over a little snow.
    there were actual snow tires with studs in them back then.

2. Turn Off Ads?

30 years ago cars weighed twice as much and thus were able to handle better in the snow than cars now. With that said, people in Cincinnati do seem to go a bit crazy over a little snow.
    Not all of them, my 1973 Cougar weighs as much as my 2000 Subaru and with 200 pounds of sand in the runk and back wheel drive I can tell you that 30 years ago that Cougar sucked in the snow something wicked, as did my Camaro and my moms Olds wagon.

More frontwheel drives and all wheel drives make it easier these days in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    there were actual snow tires with studs in them back then.
    Then?

they're destroying my roads today here in Portland, where it snows once a year and folks have them on all winter so they can go into the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Every Kroger and Meijer today is packed with old folks buying cartloads of food.

WHITE DEATH IS COMING.
    At Kroger today is Senior day. The first Wednesday of the month they all get an extra 10% off. That has as much to do with it as the weather.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    At Kroger today is Senior day. The first Wednesday of the month they all get an extra 10% off. That has as much to do with it as the weather.
    But does the air raid sirens still go off at noon on the first Wednesday of the month?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    But does the air raid sirens still go off at noon on the first Wednesday of the month?
    Only in their minds.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Not all of them, my 1973 Cougar weighs as much as my 2000 Subaru and with 200 pounds of sand in the runk and back wheel drive I can tell you that 30 years ago that Cougar sucked in the snow something wicked, as did my Camaro and my moms Olds wagon.

More frontwheel drives and all wheel drives make it easier these days in my opinion.
    Of course not all of them, but a majority of them did have much more weight than cars (not trucks/SUV's) do today.

Of course not all of them, but a majority of them did have much more weight than cars (not trucks/SUV's) do today.
    Weight didn't really matter as much as you'd think if the car had rear wheel drive. Most of those cars had most of the weight distributed in the front where the engine was and with rear wheel drive they just sucked in the snow.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Retired

Sure does. First and third Wednesday of the month, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Weight didn't really matter as much as you'd think if the car had rear wheel drive. Most of those cars had most of the weight distributed in the front where the engine was and with rear wheel drive they just sucked in the snow.
    And Kids that's why doing Donuts was and IS a fun thing to do in the snow.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

This reminds me: Jim Borgman snow cartoons
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Here in Minnesota, snow doesn't phase anyone. As a matter of fact, I've been surprised in the other direction living here. It's like every other day and no one pays it no mind. Of course, it doesn't hurt that they have gotten snow removal down to a science. It can snow all night long and the roads looks great by the time people start their commute. It's fun watching the trucks go to work around here. It's a source of pride to the Minnesotans.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Come south of the Mason Dixon line. You'll be blown away by what happens when the white stuff actually falls from the sky. You know what they do in my part of the world when it snows? They dump gravel on the roads. Gravel.
    I got caught in a snow/ice storm in West Tennessee/Northern Mississippi once. From Jackson TN to Holly Springs MS, I passed one car. At least those folks are smart enough to stay home.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Channel 12 news just showed how to dress to go out out in the snow! If I hadn't seen it, I would have worn my swimsuit and flip flops instead of a coat, hat, and gloves! P.S. The school system I teach in is already on a delay for tomorrow.
    So they are delaying until the snow is going to start (around 9 am, allegedly)?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

It would have to be, or nothing would get done.

Here, it doesn't have to snow to cause panic. Our local "weather authorities" create havoc simply by implying that the temps MAY dip below freezing overnight. People don't buy up bread, milk, bottled water, but they do buy up pipe insulation.

A friend of mine asked me to go to the WWII museum with her, but "not this weekend, it'll be too cold." (It will be cold, but clear and sunny.) (projected high sat 37, low 18, and that's plenty cold for us.)

Turn Off Ads?