Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Cincinnati reaction to snow

I've only lived here in Cincinnati, so I wonder: are we the only city to completely go bat-poop insane whenever the forecast calls for snow? You'd think the meteorologists called for locust swarms, not a couple inches of snow.

Perhaps this should go in the "Things that drive you crazy" thread, but I can't stand when my co-workers are late because it snowed, in any accumulation down to a dusting. Check the weather forecast, leave home early to deal with traffic delays and get to work on time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

I think the weather folks get a little crazy when it comes to snow. They play on people's fears and predict Armegeddon whenever the forecast calls for snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I've only lived here in Cincinnati, so I wonder: are we the only city to completely go bat-poop insane whenever the forecast calls for snow? You'd think the meteorologists called for locust swarms, not a couple inches of snow.

Perhaps this should go in the "Things that drive you crazy" thread, but I can't stand when my co-workers are late because it snowed, in any accumulation down to a dusting. Check the weather forecast, leave home early to deal with traffic delays and get to work on time.
    No

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...writethru.html

Snowstorm snarls traffic in Portland, Ore.
    A winter snowstorm snarled traffic for hours in the greater Portland metro area, and spread snow across much of the rest of Oregon as well.

The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. —
    A winter snowstorm snarled traffic for hours in the greater Portland metro area, and spread snow across much of the rest of Oregon as well.

Traffic moved at a crawl through downtown Portland and its suburbs during Tuesday's evening rush hour. The Willamette University men's basketball team, traveling from Salem to Portland on Interstate 5, took five hours and 45 minutes to make a trip that usually takes 45 minutes. A Willamette spokesman says the start of that game at Portland State was delayed until nearly 10:30 p.m.

Some cars were unable to make it up slick hills in Portland. Buses were delayed.

National Weather Service forecaster Russ Willis says 5 inches of snow fell in the Hillsboro area west of Portland. Southwest Portland recorded 3 inches; Salem had 2 inches.

In the Portland area, the snow was expected to change to rain showers by Wednesday.

The Columbia Gorge was expected to get as much as 4 inches of snow while snow was also forecast both east and west of the Cascade Range in southern Oregon.
    I know people who took six hours to get home from places 1.5 hours away. No regular snow and hills do that to a city. Cincinnati hasn't had regular snow in 25 years, not like in the 70's a whole generation has grown up without the pain, thus it seems even worse when it does snow.

It think it happens in every city that doesn't regularly experience bad winters. KC is going crazy right now, closing schools based on the *threat* of snow. Meanwhile, towns in Nebraska are conducting business as usual.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It think it happens in every city that doesn't regularly experience bad winters. KC is going crazy right now, closing schools based on the *threat* of snow. Meanwhile, towns in Nebraska are conducting business as usual.
    I concur. But I think people over do the "this region can't drive in bad weather" statements.

I have driven in the middle of winter north of the Artic Circle in Norway and I wasn't impressed with the locals driving there either. I think people just get more cautious, that's not necessary a bad thing.

My co-workers always comment on the amount of panic when it comes to snow in the Dayton area. I always tell them to be thankful they're in Dayton and not Cincinnati.

The panic gradiant in Ohio is very steep. In Cincy, snow is the coming of the Apocalypse. In Dayton, people equally rejoice and panic. North of Dayton, snow is only a minor inconvenience.

I remember one winter when Cincy cut off UC's supply of road salt because they'd apply two inches of salt for every inch of snow causing the city to run short. The entire campus was caked in salt until mid-April. You don't get that kind of hysterical overreaction north of I-275.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-06-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Retired

Every Kroger and Meijer today is packed with old folks buying cartloads of food.

WHITE DEATH IS COMING.

Thirty years ago snow was just snow, the annoying trend here being the treatment of weather as news by local networks as a means to attract viewers.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

the blizzard of the century ... how will people survive?

Snow itself isn't the problem; it's just the amount of traffic congestion due to the snow. I just hate the fact that it'll take three hours for me to drive to/from work since I have to drive 10mph because of incessant traffic backup. It's a complete waste of time and burns up a whole bunch of gas.

I actually hope the weather forecasters blow it out of proportion and cause people to just skip work altogether tomorrow.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Thirty years ago snow was just snow, the annoying trend here being the treatment of weather as news by local networks as a means to attract viewers.
    Exactly, it's the same reason stations in Atlanta focus so much on the commute and grisley accidents

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Snow itself isn't the problem; it's just the amount of traffic congestion due to the snow. I just hate the fact that it'll take three hours for me to drive to/from work since I have to drive 10mph because of incessant traffic backup. It's a complete waste of time and burns up a whole bunch of gas.

I actually hope the weather forecasters blow it out of proportion and cause people to just skip work altogether tomorrow.
    Work from home if you can. I got stuck in it once, usually takes me 30 minutes to get home, that night it took 4 hours. Never again am I sitting in that crap.

I can't wait until tomorrow morning. Biking to work in the snow is a blast!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Come south of the Mason Dixon line. You'll be blown away by what happens when the white stuff actually falls from the sky.

You know what they do in my part of the world when it snows? They dump gravel on the roads.

Gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Come south of the Mason Dixon line. You'll be blown away by what happens when the white stuff actually falls from the sky.

You know what they do in my part of the world when it snows? They dump gravel on the roads.

Gravel.

We get sand, no salt and I've been snowed in Alpharetta for 4 days before so you're dead on with the lack of care they take in the stuff. It's a wait till it melts approach.

Turn Off Ads?