Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

I've heard that we're going to have a little snow this weekend. I know it won't be the first snow of the winter but it sounds like it might be a little worse than last time. So, if you have to go to the store you might want to beat the rush of people stocking up for the winter.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-09-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I should have bought some shares in Kroger, Klosterman and Trauth today.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Bread, Milk, Toilet paper and movies. The 4 staples a grocery store must have so you can survive a snow scare in Missouri. :-)

Haunted by walks

52 inches of snow here this week. More expected next week.

I love Chicago and their response compared to Ohio for snow. In Dayton/Cincinnati anything over a dusting gets massive media coverage and everyone is talking about it. Last week in Chicago we got around 5" or so of snow and I didn't even realize it was coming till it started falling. And it can snow 4-5" overnight but the road crews are so awesome up here it doesn't even really affect travel by the 7 AM rush hour.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I love Chicago and their response compared to Ohio for snow. In Dayton/Cincinnati anything over a dusting gets massive media coverage and everyone is talking about it. Last week in Chicago we got around 5" or so of snow and I didn't even realize it was coming till it started falling. And it can snow 4-5" overnight but the road crews are so awesome up here it doesn't even really affect travel by the 7 AM rush hour.
    Around here you're lucky if your street gets plowed within 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Around here you're lucky if your street gets plowed within 2 days.
    What part of town do you live in? It hasn't taken even a full day to get the roads plowed here in a LONG time.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What part of town do you live in? It hasn't taken even a full day to get the roads plowed here in a LONG time.
    Green Township.

They used to do a good job here, last couple years, not so much. They hit the main roads ok. Side streets get plowed once, and that's about it. Couple times last year it took them 2 days to plow my street. Haven't heard a plow all night yet either. Will be a wonderful trip to work tomorrow morning.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Literally 25% of my department called in today. For wet roads. Now those of us that realize if you leave a little early and drive cautiously that you'll be fine, get to pick up the slack.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The thing that baffled me when I worked in a downtown office was the number of people who would call off because of snow who lived on a bus route. No excuse there.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    The thing that baffled me when I worked in a downtown office was the number of people who would call off because of snow who lived on a bus route. No excuse there.
    I find that about 50% of the people who call in on a snow day are parents who get stuck with kids at home b/c schools jump the gun on cancellations or extended delays. It's annoying, but society bends over backwards for people with families all the time (to the detriment of single people), so there's no point to complaining about this one.

And, honestly, if the choice was "call in or take a bus," I'd call in every time. Riding a bus is about as much fun as having a tooth drilled, and that's a best-case scenario where you don't get stuck sitting next to someone who smells like urine and is carrying around copies of the Enqiurer that are 5 months old.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I rode the bus every day from 98-01, right down Harrison ave., through OTR and down to work. The bus was filled with business commuters, not people who smelled like urine. I'll grant you, it's not pretty to sit at Elder and Vine, watching drug deals, or seeing the same male prostitute working his corner (at 7:30am!) everyday. But by and large, riding the Metro was a lot nicer than jockeying through traffic on the Western Hills viaduct or I-75. And when it snowed, I preferred it to driving by quite a bit.

And I'm interested to hear what you believe we should have people with children do when school is canceled? I agree, it's a pain for everyone, but what are they going to do, bring their kid to work?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'll grant you, it's not pretty to sit at Elder and Vine, watching drug deals, or seeing the same male prostitute working his corner (at 7:30am!) everyday
    Who pays for male prostitutes? Can't imagine that one

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    And I'm interested to hear what you believe we should have people with children do when school is canceled? I agree, it's a pain for everyone, but what are they going to do, bring their kid to work?
    I don't really have a solution. You're right, it's a pain for everyone (just like it is when a kid is sick, or a kid has this to go to or that to do and it means someone is leaving early) -- I've found lots of people aren't terribly considerate of the fact that their absence means someone else is picking up the slack.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I find that about 50% of the people who call in on a snow day are parents who get stuck with kids at home b/c schools jump the gun on cancellations or extended delays. It's annoying, but society bends over backwards for people with families all the time (to the detriment of single people), so there's no point to complaining about this one.

And, honestly, if the choice was "call in or take a bus," I'd call in every time. Riding a bus is about as much fun as having a tooth drilled, and that's a best-case scenario where you don't get stuck sitting next to someone who smells like urine and is carrying around copies of the Enqiurer that are 5 months old.
    I take it that some co-workers with kids called in today, CE, and you were none too happy about it?

so there's no point to complaining about this one.
    Wait a minute... didn't you just complain? [and SD called you out on it...] Now I can relate to this but being single all my life w/o kids I accept it, I do not blame society but myself since I chose my path.

Of course, your attitude will change when you have kids of your own and you and wife both have to work to make ends meet, and there is no other alternative to watch the kids when school is called.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?