Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't really have a solution. You're right, it's a pain for everyone (just like it is when a kid is sick, or a kid has this to go to or that to do and it means someone is leaving early) -- I've found lots of people aren't terribly considerate of the fact that their absence means someone else is picking up the slack.
    Oops, sorry! Should have waited for your replay to SD...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

You know, as someone who is CFBC (Child Free By Choice) I get tired of being expected to pick up the slack for the parents I work with. I've been expected to work every holiday, stay late so they can leave early, buy everything these kids are forced to sell by the girl scouts/boy scouts/schools, etc. It's nonsense, just because I don't have *kids* doesn't mean I don't have a life and a family of my own, it may be smaller than yours, but no less important to *me*.

And calling off because school is canceled? There are pay-by-day/hour day cares all over the place down here in missouri, I'm willing to be if you look they're everywhere else too.

ETA:

For the record, I don't hate kids. Not at all. I've got nieces and nephews who I spoiled rotten when they were young. I was the "fun" aunt who took them to the movies, fed them junk that mom and dad wouldn't, wrestled with them, took them fishing, all that stuff. Now that they're grown with kids of their own, I'm the fun great aunt when we're home in Ohio. Most CFBC'ers just realize that they aren't parent material. I'm not. Neither is my hubby. Call us selfish, call us spoiled, whatever. I don't care. Trust me, I've heard it all, including the ubiquitous "you'll change your mind!". I'm post 40, changing my mind ain't gonna happen.

I have no problem with good parents, I have major issues with *lazy* parents, but good parents have my support. I've bought all the junk, changed shifts and covered for the good parents without problem, since they don't take advantage.
    Last edited by foxfire123; 12-13-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    You know, as someone who is CFBC (Child Free By Choice) I get tired of being expected to pick up the slack for the parents I work with. I've been expected to work every holiday, stay late so they can leave early, buy everything these kids are forced to sell by the girl scouts/boy scouts/schools, etc. It's nonsense, just because I don't have *kids* doesn't mean I don't have a life and a family of my own, it may be smaller than yours, but no less important to *me*.

And calling off because school is canceled? There are pay-by-day/hour day cares all over the place down here in missouri, I'm willing to be if you look they're everywhere else too.
    Don't have kids and don't let anyone at my workplace take me because of it.

If you don't want to deal with the assumption then it's up to you to stop it from occurring.

Let's get this back to the topic of snow rather than what this discussion has turned into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

At least there is a reasonable amount this go 'round

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

We had almost 40% of our department call off today. What gets me is most of them called in early this morning, hours before they were due in, most likely without even getting out in it to see if they could make it.

I think most people see a weather report saying 5 inches and say 'no way, not going.'

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Our schools were delayed due to the temperature on Tuesday. That's a new one on me, whatever happened to bundling your kids up?

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Retired

I made it in around 10:30. Took me an hour and a half to get to work.

The road crews did their typical bang up job, 74 west was still snow covered at 9:30 am. I live in green township, they are a joke. They did NOTHING, even to the main roads.

I just worked from home till the crowds cleared from the highways. Plus shoveled the driveway (twice).

Usually most of my early morning is emails and phone calls and I can do that just as easily from my VPN'ed laptop in the dining room as I can docked in the office.

Got here about 10:30. My drive is normally 15 minutes and it took me about 25. The roads are snowy but if you exercise due caution, they are safely passable.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Our schools were delayed due to the temperature on Tuesday. That's a new one on me, whatever happened to bundling your kids up?

Randy just laid there like a slug, it was his only defense.

Today's is only the 2nd day it hasn't rained in 2-3 weeks (It's a blur after awhile) I will celebrate it by going outside for lunch in dry, the 45 degree weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    We had almost 40% of our department call off today. What gets me is most of them called in early this morning, hours before they were due in, most likely without even getting out in it to see if they could make it.
    If the company is going to pay them for snow days then that's what you'll get. I pay my staff by the hour. If they're here, they get paid. As a result they don't "call in".

To be fair, I'm from Michigan and the roads were legitimately bad on the way to exams here in Oxford this morning/afternoon...

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If the company is going to pay them for snow days then that's what you'll get. I pay my staff by the hour. If they're here, they get paid. As a result they don't "call in".
    We are hourly, so they had to use their PTO time if they want to get paid. We have a very lenient attendance policy, so it is abused often.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    We are hourly, so they had to use their PTO time if they want to get paid. We have a very lenient attendance policy, so it is abused often.
    Hell I'm salary, and I had to use PTO for going in late today.

Turn Off Ads?