Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 226 to 238 of 238

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

  1. #226
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,382

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I missed that blizzard. But I heard a lot about it from family.

    I was in my last year in the Navy, and my ship made a port call in the Virgin Islands (St Thomas). The only white stuff I was experiencing was white sandy beaches as I lounged around in my cut-offs, drinking pina coladas.
    If those cut-offs were anything like mine you've burned all the pictures.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #227
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,209

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I wasn't walking to Walnut Hills from College Hill. Finding a bus to get home after the teachers went on strike was adventure enough.
    No doubt... I remember that strike, my teachers striked the year after I left, ruined a mess of folks school life, including my wifes.

  4. #228
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    175

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    I lived in my first apartment then, in St. Bernard, a three room shotgun place.
    Hmmm we may be some what aquainted with each other or at least no the names. I lived in that area at the time as well although from what you say you are a smidge older than me . I remember this winter as well made for some fast sled rides behind the elementary school. The snow wasn't powdered it was frozen and crusted over, made the ride into "dead mans ditch" real fun for us kids...lol.

  5. #229
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No doubt... I remember that strike, my teachers striked the year after I left, ruined a mess of folks school life, including my wifes.
    Got me shipped off to Cincinnati Country Day.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  6. #230
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,654

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    If those cut-offs were anything like mine you've burned all the pictures.
    LOL

    Today you buy the cut-offs. Back then, when a pair of jean started showing wear in the knees, you made them cut-offs. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  7. #231
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    The main problem with some folks with 4 wheel drive isn't the fact they believe they can drive the normal speed limit,

    It's that they fail to realize what's gonna happen when they hit the brakes.

  8. #232
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,243

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The main problem with some folks with 4 wheel drive isn't the fact they believe they can drive the normal speed limit,

    It's that they fail to realize what's gonna happen when they hit the brakes.
    And probably the fact that none of them know what to do when they start losing traction. I learned to drive in the snowy winters of Northeast Ohio in a big old Pontiac Grand Prix with rear wheel drive. I remember having to put cinder blocks in the trunk and getting snow tires put on in the winter. Even at that, driving that thing was like driving a bobsled. You had to know what to do when the car started sliding, especially when stopping on a hill, otherwise you'd slide all the way down, taking out everything in your path.

    Now, with all the traction control, automatic transmission, 4 wheel drive and such, no one knows what to do when they start sliding, or how to get through when the snow is deep. My wife gets stuck in the driveway all the time when we get a big snow and haven't had time to clear the drive. She pulls into the drive, loses traction and gets stuck. Fortunately, her car can switch to tap shift manual and you can turn off the traction control, so I get in her car and power right through. If you can maintain forward momentum and control your slide, you can make it into the garage, easy-peasy. My car is manual, so I don't have those problems. Driver assistance technologies can only do so much. The driver still has to know what to do when the conditions are too much for that stuff to handle.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  9. #233
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,654

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The main problem with some folks with 4 wheel drive isn't the fact they believe they can drive the normal speed limit,

    It's that they fail to realize what's gonna happen when they hit the brakes.
    It was Clint who once said "A mans got to know his limitations"
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. #234
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    15,025

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I made the trek across the river, or started it. We got halfway out and I looked down and could see water flowing under the ice, saw the thousands of yahoos just like me and we decided maybe it wasn't a great idea.
    Here are lots of pics of the frozen river and related views of the deep freeze.

    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...1180802&Ref=PH
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

  11. #235
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    They called off school here today - but not because of snow. The buses wouldn't start, because the temperature overnight dropped to -25. That's not a typo. Minus 25. Crazy stuff.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  12. #236
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,382

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    They called off school here today - but not because of snow. The buses wouldn't start, because the temperature overnight dropped to -25. That's not a typo. Minus 25. Crazy stuff.
    In '78 I shattered one of our plastic garbage cans in weather like that. Just dropped it on the curb and it broke like candy glass.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  13. #237
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    East coast got hit hard again last night. I was lucky enough to make it home last night, which unfortunately can't be said for many people. On my commute to work this morning, I have seen 30 abandoned cars along 83 south and other major roads.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  14. #238
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,427

    Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    East coast got hit hard again last night. I was lucky enough to make it home last night, which unfortunately can't be said for many people. On my commute to work this morning, I have seen 30 abandoned cars along 83 south and other major roads.
    We got about 8-9 inches of snow in about 6 hours last night. The snow was so heavy it cracked a lot of trees-- my neighborhood looks a bit like a war zone. The kids are off school again tommorow -- 3 days in a row --basically because the geniuses that run the school system don't know how to work with the county to get things plowed in a timely manner.
    Win the Division


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25