Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I was told that in 2 years, most districts (maybe all of Ohio?) will no longer have "calamity days" built in to their calendars. Thus, every day off will have to be made up. You may see fewer snow days then.
    The number of calamity days is being reduced from 5 to 3. It is part of the governor's plan to eventually lengthen the school year by 20 days.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I've only lived here in Cincinnati, so I wonder: are we the only city to completely go bat-poop insane whenever the forecast calls for snow? You'd think the meteorologists called for locust swarms, not a couple inches of snow.

Perhaps this should go in the "Things that drive you crazy" thread, but I can't stand when my co-workers are late because it snowed, in any accumulation down to a dusting. Check the weather forecast, leave home early to deal with traffic delays and get to work on time.
    Trust me, Cincy is NOT the only city to go insane. It happens very rarely, but you should see how nuts Houston goes when we get a couple of inches. They close SCHOOLS...for the CHANCE of snow. Freaking insane.

I am glad that you guys posted this thread. I had it in mind when I left this morning, and as I came to a stop sign to make a right turn, a woman turned at an accelerated rate to make the small incline in her right turn and began to slide right into me. Because of the thread I was paying more attention, and was able to get over just enough to avoid her oncoming and unexpected slide. I don’t know what that nasty look was on her face but I was almost over as far one can go at a stop sign to make a right turn, and I wasn’t the one driving her vehicle. She was one doing the sideward accelerated fish tailing.

Glad you were able to avoid the accident Spring~Fields. I bet the nasty look was because she didn't think the slide was anything to worry about. Those are the drivers that scare me because they just don't get it. Anyone that gets a speeding ticket when the roads are bad deserves whatever fine they get. Just gotta do everything slower, anticipate things sooner, and be prepared for things like black ice. It's not that hard. It's times like this I kinda wish driving in snow could be part of driving tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I am glad that you guys posted this thread. I had it in mind when I left this morning, and as I came to a stop sign to make a right turn, a woman turned at an accelerated rate to make the small incline in her right turn and began to slide right into me. Because of the thread I was paying more attention, and was able to get over just enough to avoid her oncoming and unexpected slide. I don’t know what that nasty look was on her face but I was almost over as far one can go at a stop sign to make a right turn, and I wasn’t the one driving her vehicle. She was one doing the sideward accelerated fish tailing.
    So, you're saying that Redszone saved your life? If so, you owe us one.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Cincinnati's reaction to snow is nothing compared to San Antonio's reaction to snow. It hasn't snowed more than a trace here in more than a decade. The prospect of a trace of snow is guaranteed to dominate the first ten minutes of a local newscast for days in advance.

Heck, the fact that we're having temperatures in the 20s (lowest sustained temps since the 80s) with no precipitation whatsoever is worth at least 5 minutes of news time in every local newscast.

It's all relative. I'm just glad it was finally cold enough to justify using my fireplace.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    So, you're saying that Redszone saved your life? If so, you owe us one.
    Oh I am not saying that. I am just saying it reminded me and I was doing a better than normal job of driving defensively, worked kind of like a ticket does, by increasing awareness/focus. I was in anticipation mode because of it.

The day before I was going to write how the drivers in Springfield seem to act as if they are new and lost in this old town when the weather changes, so maybe it was uncomplimentary thoughts and the "law of attraction".
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-08-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Glad you were able to avoid the accident Spring~Fields. I bet the nasty look was because she didn't think the slide was anything to worry about. Those are the drivers that scare me because they just don't get it. Anyone that gets a speeding ticket when the roads are bad deserves whatever fine they get. Just gotta do everything slower, anticipate things sooner, and be prepared for things like black ice. It's not that hard. It's times like this I kinda wish driving in snow could be part of driving tests.
    This is unrelated to my little minor near miss, but this below can and does happen unfortunately.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...ed-481763.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yep. We're friends with the local superintendent and this is precisely why. Any bus slides off the road, any kid slips and falls walking to the bus stop, *anything* weather related where a case can be made showing the district was negligent in not thinking and preventing of all the hazards, they are slapped with a lawsuit. And it takes public dollars to defend. Cheaper to call off school.
    (Former Upstate NYer) - We used to grab the back bumpers of buses and cars and have them pull us around on the ice. Of copurse, we also shot each other with BB guns.

I wasn't worried about snow yesterday. I WAS worried about sitting idle in traffic for hours. I've had that happen twice since I moved here and I'm just not doing it anymore if I can avoid it.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

The weather people were having snowgasms this week.

I've never seen schools close the night before. I'm shocked that schools are closed today. The roads are fine.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    (Former Upstate NYer) - We used to grab the back bumpers of buses and cars and have them pull us around on the ice. Of copurse, we also shot each other with BB guns.
    Good times, we used to do that in Michigan as well, even when we were as young as 8.

I've never seen schools close the night before. I'm shocked that schools are closed today. The roads are fine.
    I use to lob snow balls at cars, over the tall shrubs as a kid, seemed like fun, one of them hit a police cruiser, the fun really began then, it didn't work to well.

haha love this thread.

It's the same here in England. We have probably had the coldest weather for around 30 years. Its insane how the media are covering it. Every news broadcast is about the snow (even had a 1 hour special the other night) people panic buying from the shops etc

It usually snows for a few hours causes mayhem and then melts. Not this time as temps have remained below zero for a week now.

Monday half of the people could get into work (maybe 2-3 inch of snow by then)

heres what i'm talking about

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...here-fast.html

Haunted by walks

It was 10 degrees F in Syracuse today, but we inaugurated a mayor anyway.

Turn Off Ads?