Eric Karros 	2 	0.4%
    Kevin Appier 	1 	0.2%
    Pat Hentgen 	1 	0.2%
    David Segui 	1 	0.2%
    Mike Jackson 	0 	0.0%
    Ray Lankford 	0 	0.0%
    Shane Reynolds 	0 	0.0%
    Todd Zeile 	0 	0.0%
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-06-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2010 hall of fame class is...

Can't say that I'm surprised -- despite being a seemingly no-brainer case, Larkin wasn't generating a ton of HOF buzz leading up to the voting.

Might be a long wait for Larkin, if he ever ends up making it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Can't say that I'm surprised -- despite being a seemingly no-brainer case, Larkin wasn't generating a ton of HOF buzz leading up to the voting.

Might be a long wait for Larkin, if he ever ends up making it.
    C'mon, he'll make it.

The next two years are VERY weak as far as first timers on the ballot. Blyleven and Alomar will make it next year and probably Morris and Larkin the year after.

about what I had figured, Barry wasnt 1st year worthy, I think it'll take him a few years to get in.

5 voters left the ballots blank.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    The next two years are VERY weak as far as first timers on the ballot. Blyleven and Alomar will make it next year and probably Morris and Larkin the year after.
    But I still think Larkin was better than Alomar.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    C'mon, he'll make it.
    I'm fairly confident -- probably by around 2012-2013 is when I'm guessing he'll pick up the required votes.

But, it's entirely possible that he holds flat as well.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    5 voters left the ballots blank.
    And they call themselves sportswriters! Probably their mothers do as well!

I think the weak class coming up in 2011 opens the door for David Segui.

From the NY Times. A few good points in the article about voting trends and players' subsequent chances of making the Hall. Note that Blyleven only received 18% of the vote his first time.

Andre Dawson, whose combination of power and speed is almost unmatched in baseball history, was elected to the Hall of Fame on Wednesday with 77.9 percent of the vote.

It was Dawson’s ninth time on the ballot, and he received 420 votes from 10-year members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. Players needed 75 percent — 405 votes — to be elected.

Bert Blyleven, the 287-game winner who ranks fifth in career strikeouts, received 400 votes (74.2 percent) to move to the doorstep of Cooperstown in his 13th year on the ballot. He has two more tries to make it through the writers’ association.

Roberto Alomar, the 12-time All-Star second baseman, also just missed. Alomar has 397 votes (73.7 percent) in his first time on the ballot. Jack Morris was next (52.3 percent), followed by Barry Larkin (51.6 percent), Lee Smith (47.3 percent), Edgar Martinez (36.2 percent) and Tim Raines (30.4 percent).

Mark McGwire, whose 583 career homers are obscured by his role in the steroids scandal, got 23.7 percent, failing to clear 25 percent for the fourth year in a row.

Dawson is one of only three players to exceed 400 homers and 300 stolen bases (the others are Barry Bonds and Willie Mays), and he won eight Gold Gloves and a Most Valuable Player award for the Chicago Cubs in 1987.

Though his on-base percentage was just .323, Dawson was all but guaranteed to get in at some point, after receiving 67 percent of the vote last year. No player who received that much has failed to be elected eventually.

That is good news for Blyleven, who has experienced a remarkable surge in support from his debut on the ballot in 1998, when he received just 18 percent of the vote. That figure dipped to 14 percent the next season.

Yet by 2006, Blyleven had more than half the vote, and last year he crept to 63 percent. Only one player, Gil Hodges, got a greater percentage than Blyleven without eventually making it to Cooperstown.

Statistically minded writers, in particular, have taken up Blyleven’s cause, pointing not only to his 3,701 strikeouts and 60 shutouts but also to his bad luck. Blyleven lost 18 games in which he allowed one or no earned runs, and won just four times while allowing at least five earned runs.

Among players appearing on the ballot for the first time, only Alomar, Larkin, Martinez and Fred McGriff (21.5 percent) will appear on future writers’ ballots. Eleven others failed to receive the 5 percent needed to remain on the ballot.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Although I would have been amazed to see him make it on the first ballot, I'm kind of surprised at the narrow-majority level of support for Larkin. With his position at the MLB Network, he'll have the opportunity to do some schmoozing of the sportswriters.
    /r/reds

I think this vote basically indicates that Larkin is a safe bet to get in....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If a person is HOF worthy why vote him in later rathter than sooner? I don't understand the rationale of waiting to vote people in.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    If a person is HOF worthy why vote him in later rathter than sooner? I don't understand the rationale of waiting to vote people in.
    The writers need to feel like they control the HOF, so they make some players wait longer than others in order to impose some kind of imaginary stratification in the HOF ranks.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?