Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds SS Could Be... Todd Frazier??

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Reds SS Could Be... Todd Frazier??

John Fay -

Frazier may get a look at shortstop Posted by jfay January 23rd, 2010, 3:14 pm
    I just finished up writing my Sunday Insider for the paper. I take a look at the competition for left field and shortstop.

The Reds have a lot of choices for left: Chris Dickerson, Wladimir Balentien, Chris Heisey, Laynce Nix, Todd Frazier and Juan Francisco.

“We’re got all kinds of guys,” Walt Jocketty said.

As for short? It’s pretty much Paul Janish.*Jocketty mentioned Adam Rosales, Drew Sutton and Chris Valaika. Then he said: “Frazier will probably play there some, too.”

I like the idea. What do the Reds have to lose? Frazier came up as a shortstop. He was moved because, at 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, *he was considered too*big for the spot. But his bat has made him the club’s No. 1 prospect.

Sutton, Valaika and Rosales aren’t viable*options to win the starting job.

So, again, why not look at Frazier?

Jocketty promises competition for positions.*

“We’ll go in spring training and let them fight it out,” Jocketty said. “I like competition. I was talking to Dusty (Baker) the other day. He likes it too. It brings out the best in guys.”

Obviously, the Reds would be better off if they had someone else to compete with Janish for the shortstop spot.

But the free agent field there is thin. Orlando Cabrera is still out there. He made $4 million last year. He hit .281/.316/.389 with nine home runs and 77 RBI for Minnesota.

But Jocketty thinks the field is pretty much set for both spots, i.e., don’t expect any free agents signings.

“We’ve talked to different agents,” Jocketty said. “Nothing is pending. Nobody’s dropped into our lap.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds SS Could Be... Todd Frazier??

Anything to add more offense.. I'm all for it!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Anything to add more offense.. I'm all for it!
    Heck yeah!

How is/was Frazier in the minors @ SS defensively? I'm sure some here know the specifics on tihs....

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Heck yeah!

How is/was Frazier in the minors @ SS defensively? I'm sure some here know the specifics on tihs....
    Not all that great. Expect the Reds to take a hit on RA with Frazier at SS. He just does not have the range to play there. He'd probably be similar to Keppinger defensively (although maybe a tad better). I think Frazier's best position would be 2B.

Isn't Miguel Tejada still out there? I'd love to see him at SS this year for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Isn't Miguel Tejada still out there? I'd love to see him at SS this year for the Reds.
    He is headed back to the O's as of this morning

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    He is headed back to the O's as of this morning
    Thank goodness. The guy is an outright liability in the field these days... and his bat has slowed down too. I'd actually rather have Janish, to be honest.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I like that the front office is at least going into spring training with an open mind.

Maybe Frazier can't cut it at short, but if he could- that would change a lot of things.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Not all that great. Expect the Reds to take a hit on RA with Frazier at SS. He just does not have the range to play there. He'd probably be similar to Keppinger defensively (although maybe a tad better). I think Frazier's best position would be 2B.
    Actually, Frazier graded out as a plus defensive SS the last year he played the position. His range factor was comparable to Janish and Cozart while all three played at Dayton (though, to be fair, they played three different years with different pitchers).

I don't expect him to be better than Janish obviously, but he could be about the same as, say, Hairston last season.

But if he can OPS 800 or so, he'll be super valuable and his glove will be at least slightly masked by plus gloves Rolen and Phillips.

BP to SS and Frazier at 2B makes a whole lot more sense to me if we are trying position switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    BP to SS and Frazier at 2B makes a whole lot more sense to me if we are trying position switches.
    That's what I was thinking......

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Actually, Frazier graded out as a plus defensive SS the last year he played the position. His range factor was comparable to Janish and Cozart while all three played at Dayton (though, to be fair, they played three different years with different pitchers).

I don't expect him to be better than Janish obviously, but he could be about the same as, say, Hairston last season.

But if he can OPS 800 or so, he'll be super valuable and his glove will be at least slightly masked by plus gloves Rolen and Phillips.
    Graded out according to who? Have you ever seen him play SS?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If Frazier had any change at staying at SS I really doubt they would have moved him off rthta position that quickly.

They don't want to move Phillips to SS, why would they do so with Frazier?

If we've put up with Jerry Hairston at SS, we could put up with Frazier. I'd love to see him given the chance, but I think we should be careful with the idea of trading away defense for offense. I'm less than convinced that the difference between his bat and Janish's will be equal to or greater than the difference between their gloves.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If we've put up with Jerry Hairston at SS, we could put up with Frazier. I'd love to see him given the chance, but I think we should be careful with the idea of trading away defense for offense. I'm less than convinced that the difference between his bat and Janish's will be equal to or greater than the difference between their gloves.
    Who said we could put up with Jerry Hairston out there? I hated every minute of him out there. He just looked good compared to Keppinger.

I don't get why defense is so important in LF to some, but many of the same people are clamoring for a big downgrade where it matters most by wanting Frazier at SS or even 2B.

Defense up the middle. Power on the corners. Tweeners on the bench.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?