Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Russa: McGwire could pinch-hit for Cardinals

La Russa: McGwire could pinch-hit for Cardinals

Seriously?

La Russa: McGwire could pinch-hit for Cardinals
    January 7, 2010 10:54 AM | 2 Comments
    The Contra Costa Times reports: Cardinals manager Tony La Russa is excited about Mark McGwire's return to baseball as the team's hitting coach and raised the bizarre possibility of putting the former slugger on the active roster for use as a pinch-hitter.

"If we're in contention, we'll put him on the roster Aug. 31. It's a nice little dream," said La Russa, adding that he expects McGwire -- who dodged steroid questions before Congress and has been silent since accepting his new job with the Cardinals -- to address the media soon.

"Is it likely?" La Russa said of the pinch-hitting scenario. "Probably not. I don't think it's a zero possibility. The point is, you'll see him in spring training. He won't be leaning on the batting cage chatting it up. He'll work his (butt) off, and hitters will be thrilled he's there helping them."

Get the full story: MercuryNews.com
    http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...cardinals.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: La Russa: McGwire could pinch-hit for Cardinals

It will be a very interesting story that develops as the season opens to see what and how McGwire reacts to all the questioning. Because I'm sure its going to be intense. I'm still waiting for some pre-emptive action by the Cards/mCGwire to get out ahead of it.

Pinch hit? 2001 was a long time ago. He's like 46 and hasn't faced live MLB pitching since then? I don't think so.

Pay attention to the open sky

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Maybe we could give the Cardinals Willy Taveras so they have someone to pinch run for McGwire after all those times he's going to clog the bases with intentional walks.

If he did pinch hit, how would that effect HOF eligibility? I assume he would come off the ballot for 5 years. Would he then get a new 15 tries again or would it be 15 minus those years when he was on the ballot?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If he did pinch hit, how would that effect HOF eligibility? I assume he would come off the ballot for 5 years. Would he then get a new 15 tries again or would it be 15 minus those years when he was on the ballot?
    According to Baseball-Reference.com, the clock just restarts. It might not be a bad idea for McGwire, because some time along here, writers are going to come to some consensus on how to sort out this era's players viz PED's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...by_the_writers
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

As soon as I read this, my first thought was that it would give him more of a distance from the congress incident and lengthen his stay on the HoF ballot. I can't see him really helping the Cards in that capacity. I firmly think it'd just be a ploy by TLR to enhance his HoF chances. Kinda cheesy IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Jose Rijo would no longer be the only player to play in a major league game after receiving HOF votes.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Would he be subject to the new drug testing that wasn't in effect when he was a player?
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Would he be subject to the new drug testing that wasn't in effect when he was a player?
    Yes

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

LaRussa was also the same manager who left Albert Pujols on the bench at the end of the 2007 ASG.

Yeah. That'll increase his chances of getting in the Hall.

No downside here for McGwire or the Cards, if this actually happened. Put him on the roster after the roster expands in September. I can't see how he could hurt the team as a pinch hitter.

I definitely agree with those of you who say it would be good for his Hall of Fame chances. The outrage over the steroid stuff is going to lessen over time.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Shades of Manny Mota.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

... He'll work his (butt) off, and hitters will be thrilled he's there helping them."
    ...acquire illegal, untraceable steroids.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

So they don't test managers for marijuana usage?

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?