Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who are the flame throwers?

Re: Who are the flame throwers?

Has Ondrusek ever started, if so, how did he do?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lousy. But he didn'y have the cutter. (Or any third pitch, for that matter.)

With the year that Ondrusek had, if he is touching 97, I would be very curious to know where he is generally pitching in terms of velocity. 92-94 maybe? If he is throwing any harder than that, with the numbers he put up, he should be a lot higher on the prospect list than most have him, like in the top 15 for sure. Maybe higher.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    With the year that Ondrusek had, if he is touching 97, I would be very curious to know where he is generally pitching in terms of velocity. 92-94 maybe? If he is throwing any harder than that, with the numbers he put up, he should be a lot higher on the prospect list than most have him, like in the top 15 for sure. Maybe higher.
    92-94 is about where he sits at. But from what I saw this year, and what keeps him a little lower than that, is his reliance on the fastball/cutter and very little else. He throws it about 85-90% of the time.

It would be interesting to hear a good interview that really focuses on what led to his success in 2009. The Reds put him on the 40-man and that says something. I heard that Tom Brown, who I believe the Reds are lucky to have, taught him the cutter. If all he had before was a fastball, it is easy to see why he was not effective as a starter. The thing I like is that he was able to go all the way to Triple-A and still use that cutter effectively against experienced hitters. Sounds like a Steve Bedrosian type pitcher.

The Reds are getting to a point, hopefully, where instead of having to spend a bunch of money on ancient middle relievers just to keep from blowing games in the seventh inning, ala Chris Hammond, Mike Stanton, Kent Mercker, Arthur Rhodes, David Weathers, Rheal Cormier, etc., they can develop those kind of guys themselves and use that money elsewhere. Those guys are not super expensive ($2-3 million a year), but that is money you would like to have for something else. Other than Todd Coffey, I can't think of too many guys that they have drafted and developed who have filled that role. And even Coffey was really a 1-2 year wonder with the Reds.

I definitely like Carlos Fisher and Ondrusek should be there in 2010 at some point.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    It would be interesting to hear a good interview that really focuses on what led to his success in 2009. The Reds put him on the 40-man and that says something. I heard that Tom Brown, who I believe the Reds are lucky to have, taught him the cutter. If all he had before was a fastball, it is easy to see why he was not effective as a starter. The thing I like is that he was able to go all the way to Triple-A and still use that cutter effectively against experienced hitters. Sounds like a Steve Bedrosian type pitcher.

The Reds are getting to a point, hopefully, where instead of having to spend a bunch of money on ancient middle relievers just to keep from blowing games in the seventh inning, ala Chris Hammond, Mike Stanton, Kent Mercker, Arthur Rhodes, David Weathers, Rheal Cormier, etc., they can develop those kind of guys themselves and use that money elsewhere. Those guys are not super expensive ($2-3 million a year), but that is money you would like to have for something else. Other than Todd Coffey, I can't think of too many guys that they have drafted and developed who have filled that role. And even Coffey was really a 1-2 year wonder with the Reds.

I definitely like Carlos Fisher and Ondrusek should be there in 2010 at some point.
    I am with you for the most part there. Though if they can get an Arthur Rhodes type for $2M a year I am all for that. Its when they start handing out $4M+ its a problem, or even $2M for 4.00 ERA guys because they didn't have the minor leagues to dip into. It could save a ton of money if they do things right.

Yes, Rhodes had an excellent year for $2 million.

I thought Lehr was instrumental in teaching guys the cutter or maybe Im thinking of a different pitch Lehr taught guys

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I thought Lehr was instrumental in teaching guys the cutter or maybe Im thinking of a different pitch Lehr taught guys
    Lehr = Splitter
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

thx

Perhaps later today we can add Aroldis Chapman, no? Fingers crossed!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Perhaps later today we can add Aroldis Chapman, no? Fingers crossed!
    YES!
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?