Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ACT Test

Re: ACT Test

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Dude, I'm 14.

So was I.

just kidding, underage drinking is wrong. At least until you're 16.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Drinking in and of itself isn't the greatest thing, anyway.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You started drinking yet? That was the key to my high score.
    I finished every section as quickly as possible so I could go to sleep until the next section because yeah, it was on a Saturday morning. Still managed a 29. I think kids worry too much about these tests, you're kind of going to do how you're going to do regardless of how much you stress.

I actually think you can do worse stressing about it, I know I didn't second guess myself on anything and I think that's the better way to approach it. You can drive yourself nuts otherwise.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I think the problem with stress is that so many automatic scholarships kick in with a combination of ACT score and GPA. You do well, you can make out like a bandit.

My middle daughter had a good day on her ACT and, boom, she gets a full academic scholarship to OU. About $40K that she or I don't have to pay. That's a big deal.

My youngest took the ACT yesterday and she isn't as quick as her older sister. She gets great grades, a GPA over 4.0, but she has to work her butt off and study hard. And she can't fly through the ACT like big brother and sister did. I, for one, don't think its totally fair to equally balance the body of work you do over 4 years (cumulative GPA) and a one-day ACT test.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

That's true Roy, my high school didn't weight grades and so I had about a 3.4 despite taking AP classes, honors, etc. So I really didn't have scholarships to worry about.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yep, IIRC that's what my kids told me about the math. No FFTs or anything like that.

Having a solid vocabulary and good reading skills seemed to be paramount.
    Bingo! on the Vocab and reading skills part! I'm incredibly math impaired, flunked algebra 1 twice and swear the teacher only passed me the 3rd time to get rid of me. I managed a 29 on the ACT despite failing miserably in the math portion thanks to having good reading/comp skills. And only took it once, with no prep.
    Last edited by foxfire123; 09-12-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Scores showed up online today- 28, baby! I not only beat Joseph's cat, I doubled it's score.

Thanks for all the tips.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Same score my youngest got. We were all pleased as punch.

Yay Lizzy!!!
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?