Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who Should I Select as my new team if I decide to go?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carolina Panthers

1 4.35%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2 8.70%
  • Kansas City Chiefs

2 8.70%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

4 17.39%
  • Don't jump man, you'll hate yourself someday for it!

14 60.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Football Fan

Free Agent Football Fan

I think most of us have heard of the Bengal fan who sold his Fandom to the Steelers on Ebay. I've always said I wouldn't walk away unless they moved the Bengals from Cincy. But I have just about had enough of Mike Brown after 20 years so I am standing here on the proverbial ledge looking to potentially leap. I hate myself for even considering jumping ship and I can't guarantee that I will.

But let's suppose that I make the leap and take my fandom to a new city. Who should I pick? (THIS WILL BE A POLL) There are certain teams that I refuse to be associated with for one reason or another, here is the rundown.

Uniforms - Gotta have a halfway decent looking jersey to wear and I have decided these teams don't fit for that reason if not for many other reasons.
    Cleveland - Brown, yuck.
    Tennessee - Light Blue, ugh sorry no. Also their name and logo have no appeal.
    Miami - Teal, the only thing worse might be Brown and if it weren't for Clevelands scheme I might take it over teal.
    St. Louis - Pretty much the Titans with a slightly better logo.
    Chicago - Kind of bland, nothing stands out about them.
    Denver - Terrible design.

Hate - Can't stand these teams and just couldn't root for them ever.
    Baltimore - There is probably no greater hate I have for a professional or college team in any sport and I'm a Buckeye.
    Dallas - Who doesn't right?
    Cleveland - It's gotta be those uni's, double yuck. And as a loyal Bengals fan it was a given to hate the in state/in division foe.
    Raiders - Their fans are about as classless as could be (short of maybe only the Eagles). At least the ones who get all the attention in the stands every sunday.
    Eagles - See the Raiders fans, might be a dead heat if the Raiders played halfway decent.
    Giants - Not so much hate for them, but it was my ex-brother in laws team and I don't like him real well which rubbed off on them.

Organization/Owner - Not gonna get roped into another brain dead owner situation.
    Detroit - Have they ever been any good short of the Barry Sanders era?
    Washington - Daniel Snyder is clueless.
    Dallas - If it weren't for the hiring of Jimmy Johnson we might not even know the owners name and yet he blew that by forcing Jimmy out.
    Buffalo - Out of touch with todays NFL?
    Arizona - If there has been a worse run organization than the Bengals or Lions it's the Cardinals.
    I feel that once Belichick & Brady leave so will the Pats for a long time, Robert Kraft isn't the sharpest tool in the shed IMO.

Location - Not sure I want to invest in a team that is too far away or in a place that seems like an NFL wasteland.
    Jacksonville - Wasteland could be the 1st NFL team to be contracted. And their uni's are teal. Do like their helmets though and their nearly all black unis aren't too bad.
    Seattle - Nothing special about this franchise and it's the furthest away.
    Minnesota - Purple isn't my thing, Ziggy is a comic strip character and that place is cold and has enough current problems.
    San Diego - Far away though I probably should have landed them in the FO group because I'm not sure about them either.
    S.F. - Again too far away but their FO is also questionable at best.

Current team - I hate being viewed as a bandwagon jumper so these teams although not out of the picture completely have too much going good for them for me not to be seen in such a light.
    Pittsburgh - I know I should hate them but I don't, I respect Rooney and how well he runs that organization. But they are in their 3rd Super Bowl this decade and have already won the 1st 2. But they do also have my favorite uniforms.
    Green Bay - Too many people seemed to jump on that bandwagon since the arrival of Favre, not alot of room left. But I do like how the public basically gets a say on that team there.
    New Orleans, Indy & the Jets all have pretty full bandwagons.

So that leaves me with the following:
    Carolina - They are getting a fresh start, have a new coach, the #1 pick in the draft, aren't very far away and are also in the NFC and have the best remaining uniforms IMHO. Sure they do have that teal but it's downplayed quite a bit. Their owner sounds a little bit goofy IMO but I don't know much about him.

Atlanta - Maybe a potential bandwagon viewing and maybe not 2nd best unis left and again in the NFC but not too far away.

T.B. - I kinda like their uni's they have some interesting young players and they fall into the close to home but NFC mold.

Houston - A little like the AFC version of Atlanta to me, a little older a little more established players and a borderline too far away. But I can't see a clear cut reason to cut them loose and their uni's are pretty solid.

K.C. - Love Arrowhead stadium, like some of their tradition, their logo is sweet and their uni's I can get behind. Not too sure about their FO/Owner and the team is getting better but nothing to write home about. Probably my favorite of the 2 AFC teams.

I'm gonna knock out a couple of more teams because they are a bit too established, Atlanta and Houston. And gonna add one more team to the mix because a part of me wants to stick it to the Bengals (while part of me just wants to get as far away as possible, thus the NFC angle) as much as possible and I like the organization, uni's & logo Pittsburgh.

Carolina
    Tampa Bay (Florida makes me nervous)
    KC
    Pittsburgh

SO WHO SHOULD I SELECT?
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-26-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agent Football Fan

Unless you sell your soul to the Steelers, I can't see you being happy with any of your choices in the long term.

I understand the frustration, but coming from a Browns fan, I'd say stick with the Bengals.

I don't really think you'll hate yourself for it, I just doubt choosing a team will stick unless you're around 12 years old or it just happens organically. Most likely, it'll just be going through the motions and wasting money.

And, FTR, Bob Kraft was smart enough to pick a smart football expert, hand him the keys, and stay the heck out of his way. In my book, that's at least 90% of the definition of a perfect team owner.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

i became a patriots fan while being a bengals fan a few years ago. I think im officially just gonna be a bandwagon bengals fan. Doubt I even watch their games anymore, just get the sunday ticket and watch the patriots and the rest of the NFL and just check on the bengals a few minutes each sunday.

I like the chiefs for you. Im not sure why distance is a factor in ur poll unless you plan on traveling to these games.

How could any Bengal fan even entertain the thought of becoming a Steeler fan? I think anyone who would even think of doing that....is just not my kind of guy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re-think the Colts. Great team, ownership committed to winning, terrific treatment of fans (usually) and the best stadium in sports. Plus, they are relatively close, and most of their games are televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Re-think the Colts. Great team, ownership committed to winning, terrific treatment of fans (usually) and the best stadium in sports. Plus, they are relatively close, and most of their games are televised.
    Plus the Colts are the Bengals in reverse, the father ran the team and they were terrible, the son takes over and hires a football man and they have extended success.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Plus the Colts are the Bengals in reverse, the father ran the team and they were terrible, the son takes over and hires a football man and they have extended success.
    im not really a colts fan just indifferent about them but i always wondered how well their organization actually was. I kind of thought of them as a one man organization (peyton manning) and once he left they would fall apart. So would you say a GB, philly type that will survive and thrive once peyton is gone?

Either develop apathy for the Bengals, or become a fan of the NFL in general. I find playing fantasy football allows me to root for my players, without having to root for any particular team. I am still entertained, but not dependent on a win or a loss for any team that I can not control. I am a Bengals fan and root for them to win, but watching the game isn't a Sunday must anymore. It is kind of something I listen to in the background.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I don't really think you'll hate yourself for it, I just doubt choosing a team will stick unless you're around 12 years old or it just happens organically. Most likely, it'll just be going through the motions and wasting money.

I agree. It's one thing to have a favorite, but to be a real fan and truly care requires an emotional connection that's tough for most grownups to conjure on demand. My two true rooting interests are organic, as you put it -- the Reds and my college. I've had favorite NFL teams but never one I cared about to that degree. I follow the league because I love football, but I'm not deeply emotionally invested in any particular team.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    How could any Bengal fan even entertain the thought of becoming a Steeler fan? I think anyone who would even think of doing that....is just not my kind of guy.
    Honestly I don't think I can but it should make for some interesting discussion. :
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    im not really a colts fan just indifferent about them but i always wondered how well their organization actually was. I kind of thought of them as a one man organization (peyton manning) and once he left they would fall apart. So would you say a GB, philly type that will survive and thrive once peyton is gone?
    Well, when you have a talent like Peyton, you certainly build around him. That said, Bill Polian had success building winners in Buffalo consistently, so I think (hope) the success continues A.P. (after Peyton).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Well, when you have a talent like Peyton, you certainly build around him. That said, Bill Polian had success building winners in Buffalo consistently, so I think (hope) the success continues A.P. (after Peyton).
    The Colts are a 4 win team without Payton. IMO the best move they made was to have an awful season the year Payton was entering the draft. Its easy to win with Payton, the A.P. will be dicey.

As for the poll question, pick whoever the heck you want to root for and do it. I wish I could pick who I wanted to root for. For me it was pretty much ingrained from the time I was little. It sure would be a heck of a lot easier being a Yankees and Steelers fan. But IMO you don't choose fandom, it chooses you.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Colts are a 4 win team without Payton. IMO the best move they made was to have an awful season the year Payton was entering the draft. Its easy to win with Payton, the A.P. will be dicey.

\
    Sure right now. But they do have PEyton, so they have built their offense around him based on what he can do. I think what Pollian did with Buffalo and the Panthers speaks a lot. People forget that he took the Panthers to the NFC Championship in their second year.

He's been exec of the year 6 times. I'm pretty confident he'll make the right moves when A.P. time comes.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 01-27-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

As for the poll question, pick whoever the heck you want to root for and do it. I wish I could pick who I wanted to root for. For me it was pretty much ingrained from the time I was little. It sure would be a heck of a lot easier being a Yankees and Steelers fan. But IMO you don't choose fandom, it chooses you.
    Drafting Peyton was not a slam dunk the year he came out, there was quite a bit of debate (at least externally and in the media) between Peyton and Leaf.

Turn Off Ads?