Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Look Ahead in College Football

Re: A Look Ahead in College Football

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Alabama plays Tressel-ball, which works nicely when you have the trio of Defense, Offensive Line, and running backs to make it work.

GL
    I agree but the issue here is recruiting. Do you think Tressel-ball attracts recruits due to its scheme?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree but the issue here is recruiting. Do you think Tressel-ball attracts recruits due to its scheme?
    They get their fair share at tOSU so it doesn't seem to be driving them away. I'd suspect that it helps a great deal that a good number of NFL teams play a type of Tressel-ball and many of those same kids have NFL dreams.

Win and almost nobody really quibbles about your style of play. Kids come to play for a winner and would probably wear pink jerseys to do so. Lose and almost everybody cares about your style of play.

Winning, coaching staff, NFL aspirations, style of play, facilities, tradition, proximity, and scholarship availability all attract players.

In general, I'd guess the upper tier probably assign more weight to their decision from left to right, and the lower tier guys probably assign more weight from right to left.

GL

Hoosier - I think you need to stick FSU and Miami and your 2nd list.

This quote struck me from a recent SI article...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...70/2/index.htm

Aware that freakish athletic ability alone would only get him so far, Pryor chose Ohio State, in large part because he wanted to play in a pro-style offense to bolster his NFL prospects.

Pay attention to the open sky

Do you think Tressel-ball attracts recruits due to its scheme?
    I most certainly do. "Tressel-ball" has produced a good number of quality NFL players. Why wouldn't recruits be attracted to it's scheme, based simply on that?

My feeling is just that coaches and schemes and play a much bigger role with recruits decisions on college choices than the climate they will be playing in.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I most certainly do. "Tressel-ball" has produced a good number of quality NFL players. Why wouldn't recruits be attracted to it's scheme, based simply on that?

My feeling is just that coaches and schemes and play a much bigger role with recruits decisions on college choices than the climate they will be playing in.
    OK, well now this argument has come full circle. Interesting...

This discussion started with me saying that recruits went for the good weather which is why they were flocking to Florida, Alabama and USC. To which someone said no, it was scheme not weather. Now it's being argued that because of scheme the recruits are going to the Big Ten (OSU).

So I ask, if it's scheme then why are the recruits going to Florida, USC and Alabama and not Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota?

Now it's being argued that because of scheme the recruits are going to the Big Ten (OSU).
    Not really. You mentioned Alabama's scheme and someone else equated it to "Tressel-ball." Just making the comparison and pointing out the fact that that scheme produces quality NFL players.

So I ask, if it's scheme then why are the recruits going to Florida, USC and Alabama and not Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota?
    It's all individual, IMO. A recruit is going to choose the program where he feels he has the best opportunity to be successful, improve, and become NFL ready, and this has everything to do with the coach and his scheme. I'm not saying one scheme is better than another or produces more NFL players. I just don't think that the climate that the player will play in is as big of a factor as you seem to think it is. That was your original argument, correct?

OK, well now this argument has come full circle. Interesting...

This discussion started with me saying that recruits went for the good weather which is why they were flocking to Florida, Alabama and USC. To which someone said no, it was scheme not weather. Now it's being argued that because of scheme the recruits are going to the Big Ten (OSU).
    I don't think anybody is buying the weather angle, so that was a complete non starter. I'm sure it influences a few kids, but it's not a major factor IMO.

The Big10 doesn't draw recruits based on its schemes. I'd say some teams within the Big10 might though. I'd say PSU, MICH, and tOSU have shown that they can win in the NCAA and put guys in the NFL.

Scheme may be a factor, but it's just one, and probably only really applicable to those top tier recruits.

Winning, coaching staff, NFL aspirations, style of play, facilities, tradition, proximity, and scholarship availability all attract players.

FLA, USC, and ALA are at the top of the pile right now (winning), and WISC, Iowa, and Minn are not. FLA, USC (did), and ALA have top flight coaches, and WISC, Iowa, and Minn do not. FLA, USC, and ALA will put a ton of guys on NFL rosters, and WISC, Iowa, and Minn will put fewer. Minn could run the identical scheme that USC runs, and the won't take recruits from CAL out to Minn.

Some players will be interested in the scheme. I have no doubts that tOSU pulls some LBs, DBs, and RBs because they are successful in putting those guys on NFL rosters. I have no doubt they pulled Prior over Mich because of scheme. On the balance though, I doubt that is a top consideration for most guys.

Most teams have a majority of guys from in-state on their roster. The kids are familiar with the schools, some of them root for them, and the teams tend to concentrate recruiting in their own area.
    GL

I just don't think that the climate that the player will play in is as big of a factor as you seem to think it is. That was your original argument, correct?
    Yes that's correct. I think they like seeing palm trees and Hollywood or beaches.

Minn could run the identical scheme that USC runs, and the won't take recruits from CAL out to Minn.

GL
    Good point. I agree that's a big factor, much more than scheme. It seems like the fast athletes are in Florida and California

Good point. I agree that's a big factor, much more than scheme. It seems like the fast athletes are in Florida and California
    I think you are right and wrong here. OSU has been pretty good at getting speed players in the Midwest. I think the issue becomes the speed on the OLine and DLine's where the depth is better in Florida than Ohio. That has been OSU's biggest Achilles heal in the past 2 national championship games.

If you look at it OSU has been pretty darn good at producing skill position players in the Draft. DB's, WR's, and LB's have been positions of strength at OSU and are considered speed positions.

Minn could run the identical scheme that USC runs, and the won't take recruits from CAL out to Minn.
    Out of curiosity, I counted 13 players on this past season's Minnesota team from California and Florida.

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSel...80&SPSID=38606

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think you are right and wrong here. OSU has been pretty good at getting speed players in the Midwest. I think the issue becomes the speed on the OLine and DLine's where the depth is better in Florida than Ohio. That has been OSU's biggest Achilles heal in the past 2 national championship games.

If you look at it OSU has been pretty darn good at producing skill position players in the Draft. DB's, WR's, and LB's have been positions of strength at OSU and are considered speed positions.
    Including the NFL draft from 1998 to present ... tOSU has had as many kickers drafted in the top 3 rounds as offensive lineman, 2. In 2004 a punter, Sanders was drafted 87th, and in 2005, Nugent was drafted 47th.

Not one single tOSU OT or Guard was drafted in the top 3 rounds since Orlando Pace went #1 overall in 1997. The only 2 offensive linemen, both centers have been drafted in the top 3 rounds, Mangold, 29th, in 2006, and Bentley, 44th, in 2002.

GL

Out of curiosity, I counted 13 players on this past season's Minnesota team from California and Florida.

I think most D-1 teams in both subdivisions are getting kids from Florida and California at the speed positions - especially Florida.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Due to the number of kids playing football in FLA and CAL, many kids will end up on rosters all over the country. It's a little harder (say practically impossible) for the Minn of the world to pry a guy out of CAL/FLA that USC or FLA is really interested in.

I wouldn't have guessed that many though, interesting.

The Big10 rosters always have a number of Ohio kids on them as well. Minn has 4.

GL

Turn Off Ads?