Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Look Ahead in College Football

Re: A Look Ahead in College Football

California, Texas and Florida have a lot of in state talent to choose from too. Not so much Minnesota. I think this is just a case of schools being closer to hotbed recruiting areas.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK, well now this argument has come full circle. Interesting...

This discussion started with me saying that recruits went for the good weather which is why they were flocking to Florida, Alabama and USC. To which someone said no, it was scheme not weather. Now it's being argued that because of scheme the recruits are going to the Big Ten (OSU).

So I ask, if it's scheme then why are the recruits going to Florida, USC and Alabama and not Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota?
    You are really comparing apples to oranges with this argument. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota need to be compared to Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss type schools. Sure, a five star recruit out of a Florida HS isn't likely to move to Wisconsin. A five star recruit out of Ohio is probably going to Ohio St. or Michigan. Texas and Oklahoma are going to pick up the vast majority of Texas' blue chip kids. Mid level programs in any conference have to depend on snapping up whatever high level recruits happen to be in their area and then pick up the scraps left over after the top tier programs have had their fill from the hotbed areas.

As a fellow Volunteer fan, you have seen the last several years how tough it is to maintain a top level program without being in a recruit rich area. That fact is going to be driven home over the next three weeks unless they make a great hire. Ohio St., Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, or USC might loose a few top picks if their coach left at the last minute. Tennessee's class is going to be decimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    You are really comparing apples to oranges with this argument. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota need to be compared to Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss type schools.

As a fellow Volunteer fan, you have seen the last several years how tough it is to maintain a top level program without being in a recruit rich area. That fact is going to be driven home over the next three weeks unless they make a great hire. Ohio St., Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, or USC might loose a few top picks if their coach left at the last minute. Tennessee's class is going to be decimated.
    Good point. Let's do that.

In last year's recruiting class Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss were all in the top 20.

Of Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota, only one made it into the top fifty, Minnesota barely sliding in at 48. Iowa was 75. So if you want to compare those schools fine...

So your example illustrates my point beautifully. The recruits just aren't going to the Big Ten short of the big two or three.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2009

As for your comments on Tennessee you're absolutely right, however UT still has three weeks to woo recruits if they hire the right guy by this weekend. Right now it looks pretty bleak but it all depends on the next hire. The timing really sucked for UT, no doubt.

Just curious Sea Ray what's been Auburns' average recruiting rank for the last 6 years?
    What's been their average rank in the final AP poll?

Do the same for Wisconsin. My guess is Wisconsin generally has a recruiting class in the 50s and an AP poll number around 30 or so.

I'm guessing you'd see the reverse true of Auburn.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

SI's early look at the top 25 in 2010. Looks like Boise State is finally getting some love...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Just curious Sea Ray what's been Auburns' average recruiting rank for the last 6 years?
    What's been their average rank in the final AP poll?

Do the same for Wisconsin. My guess is Wisconsin generally has a recruiting class in the 50s and an AP poll number around 30 or so.

I'm guessing you'd see the reverse true of Auburn.
    Another thing that skews the rankings quite a bit is that most of the SEC schools will oversign, meaning that they sign more recruits than they have scholarships available for. They plan on flunk outs, not passing admissions, etc. Most Big 10 schools don't do this. Both Rivals and Scouts use number of recruits as a factor in their rankings.

Another thing that skews the rankings quite a bit is that most of the SEC schools will oversign, meaning that they sign more recruits than they have scholarships available for. They plan on flunk outs, not passing admissions, etc. Most Big 10 schools don't do this. Both Rivals and Scouts use number of recruits as a factor in their rankings.
    ???

They can't offer a scholarship to an athlete that they don't have. I'm not sure what you're talking about here

Yes they can, and its actually smart to do so. Many SEC schools offer more scholarships than are currently available because they anticipate transfers and/or recruits to back out.

One big difference between football and basketball is the lack of early signing periods means that football recruits are all in play until a)they finish high school early and enroll at said college. b) they sign their letter of intent in February.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Yes they can, and its actually smart to do so. Many SEC schools offer more scholarships than are currently available because they anticipate transfers and/or recruits to back out.

One big difference between football and basketball is the lack of early signing periods means that football recruits are all in play until a)they finish high school early and enroll at said college. b) they sign their letter of intent in February.
    So you're telling me schools can have as many athletes as they want sign letters of intent in February? I was not aware of that.

So you're telling me schools can have as many athletes as they want sign letters of intent in February? I was not aware of that.
    To be honest I'm not sure about signing letters of intent but they can offer more scholarships than they currently have available right now.

In basketball the limit is offering one more scholarship than you currently have, but I don't know what the limit is in football.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Prior to this year, only the Big 10 had a limit on the number of LOI's they could have. As of May 2009, the SEC has a similar rule. I wasn't aware of the SEC rule in my initial posting. See this article for more information on the practice of oversigning and the new SEC rule:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ing/index.html

Prior to this year, only the Big 10 had a limit on the number of LOI's they could have. As of May 2009, the SEC has a similar rule. I wasn't aware of the SEC rule in my initial posting. See this article for more information on the practice of oversigning and the new SEC rule:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ing/index.html
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info...

I'm sure you're relieved like I am that you were wrong. Their class did take a hit but far from decimated. That says a lot about the University as a whole. Kids picked the program, not the coach

I'm sure you're relieved like I am that you were wrong. Their class did take a hit but far from decimated. That says a lot about the University as a whole. Kids picked the program, not the coach
    I can't say enough about how well Dooley did to hold the class together and even adding to it. He's getting a nice coaching staff together, too. I really like the hiring of Boise's defensive coordinator.

A brief synopsis on each and every 2010 Bearcat football recruit:

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...020310aab.html

Turn Off Ads?