Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

Pete Carroll was not a very good NFL coach 33-31 with the Patriots and the Jets. At USC he is 97-19 during his tenure and has his pick of wonderful California recruits every year. I think he may be kicking the tires to see if he can get more $$$ from the school.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Pete Carroll was not a very good NFL coach 33-31 with the Patriots and the Jets. At USC he is 97-19 during his tenure and has his pick of wonderful California recruits every year. I think he may be kicking the tires to see if he can get more $$$ from the school.
    And yet Carroll refuses to take an NFL job unless he is given total control.

You know, because those GM's don't know what they are doing.

I think Carroll's luck on the national scene is running out and he knows it. They haven't exactly been world beaters the past two years, even with McKnight and Sanchez (Bush and Leinart part 2) running the show. Carroll may want to jump ship before USC fans start calling for change.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I didn't think Pete would leave but now it appears I was wrong. Scott Wolf of the LA Times says Jim Harbaugh is a potential candidate to replace Carroll along with Mike Riley, Jack Del Rio, and Jeff Fisher. I like Harbaugh the most out of that group.

Riley is one of the top five most underrated coaches in FBS IMO but I'd rather have Harbaugh. However, it looks like the first call will go to Riley.

edit - June Jones is another guy I'd love to see USC pursue but I doubt they go there.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-08-2010 at 10:41 PM.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I didn't think Pete would leave but now it appears I was wrong. Scott Wolf of the LA Times says Jim Harbaugh is a potential candidate to replace Carroll along with Mike Riley, Jack Del Rio, and Jeff Fisher. I like Harbaugh the most out of that group.

Riley is one of the top five most underrated coaches in FBS IMO but I'd rather have Harbaugh. However, it looks like the first call will go to Riley.

edit - June Jones is another guy I'd love to see USC pursue but I doubt they go there.
    Question is, would Harbaugh take the job and if he did, would he ultimately leave to go to his alma-mater if the Michigan job comes open next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I certainly can't remember the last team that happened to in either basketball or football.
    I think Baylor basketball may have, not that it mattered since Baylor was irrelevant at the time anyway. They also got the worst hit since SMU's death penalty when the NCAA canceled their nonconference schedule. Otherwise I can't really remember when. Maybe that Auburn football team that went undefeated in the early '90s while on probation?

Jack Del Rio? so many Jaguar fans would be thrilled.
    Go Gators!

Pete had one bad year... 6-10 for the Jets. He went 8-8...9-7 and 10-6 for the Patriots. I do not call that bad at all...but I do not think he could be a GM/coach. He would be better off being a coach with good input into personnel decisions but not complete control.

SI.com's Jim Trotter reports that Seahawks owner Paul Allen is unwilling to offer head coaching candidate Pete Carroll total control over football matters.

And we have a potential hitch. "Allen has been through that once with Mike Holmgren and is not going to go through that again," said Fritz Pollard Alliance chairman John Wooten, who has knowledge of the situation. It's long been believed that if Carroll was to return to the NFL, he'd want GM duties in addition to the head coaching job. A deal no longer appears to be imminent.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I think Baylor basketball may have, not that it mattered since Baylor was irrelevant at the time anyway. They also got the worst hit since SMU's death penalty when the NCAA canceled their nonconference schedule. Otherwise I can't really remember when. Maybe that Auburn football team that went undefeated in the early '90s while on probation?

I don't think Baylor was banned from playing on TV.

The Auburn football and Kentucky basketball programs were both off TV for a year in the early 90s. That's the last I can remember, also.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Looks like Carroll is getting out before the house of cards collapse leaving the next guy to deal with it all.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

That Rooney Rule is such a fraud. It's apparently all that's holding up an announcement. It makes minorities like Leslie Frasier, the ones it's meant to help, a pawn. It puts them in a bad situation. Another "well intentioned" rule which has unintended consequences making the solution worse than the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Pete had one bad year... 6-10 for the Jets. He went 8-8...9-7 and 10-6 for the Patriots. I do not call that bad at all...but I do not think he could be a GM/coach. He would be better off being a coach with good input into personnel decisions but not complete control.
    He was awful with the Jets losing his last 6 games that season after starting 6-4. He was Ok with the Patriots during his tenure their, 33-31 overall. I wouldn't be paying a coach 7 million per season for numbers like that unless he was a proven winner in the NFL. Cowher must be sitting back asking himself what he is worth to a team if Pete gets 7 million per season.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    He was awful with the Jets losing his last 6 games that season after starting 6-4. He was Ok with the Patriots during his tenure their, 33-31 overall. I wouldn't be paying a coach 7 million per season for numbers like that unless he was a proven winner in the NFL. Cowher must be sitting back asking himself what he is worth to a team if Pete gets 7 million per season.
    Obviously that's not the only factor going into his salary. Hypothetically, if he was a .500 career coach in the NFL (which he is), that being it, he wouldn't command half that.

The only reason it's $7MM is due to his success at USC. Nothing more, nothing less.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Obviously that's not the only factor going into his salary. Hypothetically, if he was a .500 career coach in the NFL (which he is), that being it, he wouldn't command half that.

The only reason it's $7MM is due to his success at USC. Nothing more, nothing less.
    And that is a bad reason, the NFL isn't college football.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?