Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71

Thread: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

  1. #31
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That Rooney Rule is such a fraud. It's apparently all that's holding up an announcement. It makes minorities like Leslie Frasier, the ones it's meant to help, a pawn. It puts them in a bad situation. Another "well intentioned" rule which has unintended consequences making the solution worse than the problem.
    It's not designed to get a minority hired when someone like Carroll is available...it is meant to get the names of minorities out there in case someone else is looking around.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    750

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That Rooney Rule is such a fraud. It's apparently all that's holding up an announcement. It makes minorities like Leslie Frasier, the ones it's meant to help, a pawn. It puts them in a bad situation. Another "well intentioned" rule which has unintended consequences making the solution worse than the problem.
    Marvin didn't get a head coaching job the first few tries. It gets your name in the head coaching discussion for the next few years and gives you interviewing experience.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  4. #33
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It's not designed to get a minority hired when someone like Carroll is available...it is meant to get the names of minorities out there in case someone else is looking around.
    Not only do I disagree with you, Leslie Frazier does too...


    I can't believe some of you folks don't see the hypocrisy of this. I pulled this paragraph out of the ESPN story posted earlier:

    Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke had told Frazier that Carroll definitely does not have Seattle's job. Frazier had been unwilling to talk with the Seahawks about the head-coaching vacancy if Carroll had been promised full control of the Seahawks. Multiple sources indicated he had been.
    Does it sound to you like Frazier did it for the "experience" of getting interviewed? Do you think he flew across the country for this interview (while preparing for his team's next playoof game) just so he could get his name out there?

    No! The Seahawks had to lie to him and tell him that the Carroll deal wasn't a done deal. Interviewing for a job that you have no chance to get is not a good experience. Frasier made it clear that he wanted no part of a token interview, but just because of his race, he was lied to and took precious time away from his current job just so the Seahawks could announce this hiring.

    I think it stinks and it is an injustice to Leslie Frazier. He knows he's a good coach and for that reason alone he knows teams will come calling for his services. He doesn't need lame rules like the Rooney Rule in order to get a head coaching job.

  5. #34
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,267

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Looks like Carroll is getting out before the house of cards collapse leaving the next guy to deal with it all.
    John Calapari is proud.

  6. #35
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not only do I disagree with you, Leslie Frazier does too...


    I can't believe some of you folks don't see the hypocrisy of this. I pulled this paragraph out of the ESPN story posted earlier:



    Does it sound to you like Frazier did it for the "experience" of getting interviewed? Do you think he flew across the country for this interview (while preparing for his team's next playoof game) just so he could get his name out there?

    No! The Seahawks had to lie to him and tell him that the Carroll deal wasn't a done deal. Interviewing for a job that you have no chance to get is not a good experience. Frasier made it clear that he wanted no part of a token interview, but just because of his race, he was lied to and took precious time away from his current job just so the Seahawks could announce this hiring.

    I think it stinks and it is an injustice to Leslie Frazier. He knows he's a good coach and for that reason alone he knows teams will come calling for his services. He doesn't need lame rules like the Rooney Rule in order to get a head coaching job.
    If Frazier does not agree with my premise, then Frazier is a fool for partaking in such an event. (No seriously...why in the world would he go out there in the midst of a playoff season if he knew he wasn't going to get the gig) There was no gun to his head...he could have easily declined. Truth is...now, many more people (media in particular) know the name Leslie Frazier. And for that Frazier is grateful.

    Look my friend, I was not presenting my opinion...I was presenting a fact. The Rooney Rule was designed to get the names of minorities "out there", with the end result being more minorities would eventually be hired.

    If you want to argue whether the rule is good or not...thats another question...but in the Pete Carroll case, although Carroll had the job from day 1, now many more people know the name Leslie Frazier. That is the result of the Rooney Rule. It was not designed to prevent teams or impede teams from making a seemingly easy choice.

  7. #36
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Interviewing for a job that you have no chance to get is not a good experience. Frasier made it clear that he wanted no part of a token interview, but just because of his race, he was lied to and took precious time away from his current job just so the Seahawks could announce this hiring.

    I think it stinks and it is an injustice to Leslie Frazier. He knows he's a good coach and for that reason alone he knows teams will come calling for his services. He doesn't need lame rules like the Rooney Rule in order to get a head coaching job.
    Agree.

  8. #37
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If Frazier does not agree with my premise, then Frazier is a fool for partaking in such an event. (No seriously...why in the world would he go out there in the midst of a playoff season if he knew he wasn't going to get the gig) There was no gun to his head...he could have easily declined. Truth is...now, many more people (media in particular) know the name Leslie Frazier. And for that Frazier is grateful.

    Look my friend, I was not presenting my opinion...I was presenting a fact. The Rooney Rule was designed to get the names of minorities "out there", with the end result being more minorities would eventually be hired.

    If you want to argue whether the rule is good or not...thats another question...but in the Pete Carroll case, although Carroll had the job from day 1, now many more people know the name Leslie Frazier. That is the result of the Rooney Rule. It was not designed to prevent teams or impede teams from making a seemingly easy choice.
    If you and I knew Pete Carroll had the job all along, how could Leslie Frazier not have?

    You dispute your own point when you said Frazier is a fool for being used. I agree 100%. Because of this Rooney rule, we're discussing (and agreeing) that this minority candidate is a fool for being used. How is that good for the minority candidate?

    He didn't need this interview for notoriety. He's been mentioned as a potential head coach for years not because of his race but because of his coaching abilities. To say that good coaches like Frazier need to go through these hoops in order to get hired someday just because he's black is a insult, in my opinion.

  9. #38
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If you and I knew Pete Carroll had the job all along, how could Leslie Frazier not have?

    You dispute your own point when you said Frazier is a fool for being used. I agree 100%. Because of this Rooney rule, we're discussing (and agreeing) that this minority candidate is a fool for being used. How is that good for the minority candidate?

    He didn't need this interview for notoriety. He's been mentioned as a potential head coach for years not because of his race but because of his coaching abilities. To say that good coaches like Frazier need to go through these hoops in order to get hired someday just because he's black is a insult, in my opinion.
    If Frazier thought he had a chance in this interview...he is a fool. But he went anyway, yes, as the token candidate, to promote himself.

    I do not think he was "used".

  10. #39
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I do not think he was "used".

    I disagree and I'll tell you why.

    1)Seattle had to lie to him to even get him there.

    2)Seattle needed him to interview before they could announce the hiring.

    3)Frazier gets interviewed in good faith, takes time away from his team preparing for the playoffs and goes home empty handed

    Seattle gets the coach they want while satifying their requirements under the Rooney Rule. Frazier gets nothing but FF miles out of the deal.

    If I were him I would feel used.

    If Pete Carroll is not announced as Seattle's head coach I'll come around to your way of thinking, Kal...

  11. #40
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    The LA Times is reporting that Pete Carroll to Seattle is a done deal.

  12. #41
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Look for the gauntlet to drop on USC football as a soon to follow announcement. I have little doubt that he is getting out of Dodge with this move.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  13. #42
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Wow, Sea Ray and I agree a lot so far in 2010. What the heck is going on?

  14. #43
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Look for the gauntlet to drop on USC football as a soon to follow announcement. I have little doubt that he is getting out of Dodge with this move.
    I agree 100%. I am not a USC fan at all. Haven't been since they torched OSU two years in a row. But I do think that college football is better with Carroll than without Carroll. I always saw Carroll as a likable guy who knew how to get most out of his players. I think he will struggle again in the NFL and think USC's program will suffer in the next handful of years.

  15. #44
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,114

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Reggie Bush just met with the NCAA.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...yhoo&type=lgns
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  16. #45
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Seattle fires Jim Mora, ESPN reporting Pete Carroll next.

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Reggie Bush just met with the NCAA.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...yhoo&type=lgns

    About time.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25