Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years...yeah right

Re: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years

They made the playoffs in 2005, but did not get back until 2009. They have the same people making personnel decisions. Assuming they improve, they may be back, but they also have a tougher schedule.

I also think it's very difficult to assume they'll improve. They're much more likely to be content with what they've got, but I hope they prove me wrong. Maybe 19 straight years w/o a playoff win will be what motivates them. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Considering they done what few fans believed they could (about what I expected, but wasn't hoping for a playoff win at least though) I'd call it a succesful season, assuming they improve from here on for the next handful of years while we have Carson. And he really needs to do some improving himself in the offseason, rough season for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Palmer needs to get his thumb fixed on his left hand and then work on his mechanics so he can stop over throwing WRs.
    I know he hasn't been the Palmer of old all season long, but at no point during the year has he been as off as he was tonight. I don't know what to think.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Re: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years...yeah right

As the PBP man today, I feel a sense of responsibility to do a bit of ranting.

It doesn't bother me that they lost. The Jets had a great game plan. Sanchez made high percentage throws and they didn't turn the ball over. They also had some great play calls for TD's.

However, what bothers me the most is the fact that the Bengals time and time again must find a way to embarrass themselves. Shayne Graham, a franchise kicker, can't find a way to make two very easy field goals? Did he eat at Skyline with Brad St. Louis before the game? At the very least, he just saved us some money in free agency next year.

Regardless, Palmer played like a rookie. (All WR excuses aside....his throws were off most of the game) Ocho could do little when really needed. Zimmer and his D choked when they really needed them. (Especially against the TE) Brat needs to go. Benson bailed him out of another poor playcalling special. Brat is a college coordinator posing in the NFL. He's conned for too long. Cut bait!

Right now, I'm not even reading this thread. Good year Bengals. Things stacked up against you several times and you fought through it and made it to the playoffs.

I'll go back and read it later. I'm disappointed, but the better team won that game.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

That initial drive to start the game for a 7-0 lead was impressive. Where'd that team go? The remainder was simply embarrassing. They played out of sync, and it looked like without much fire.

Two of the top run defenses in the NFL, and they both gave up 171 yds rushing.

So what was the difference? The tale of two QBs.

Sanchez was the lowest ranked QB in the playoffs, and ended the game with a QB rating of 139.4. An efficient 12/15 for 182 yds, but most importantly - played mistake free football.

Palmer looked terrible. That's all I'm gonna say.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    I know he hasn't been the Palmer of old all season long, but at no point during the year has he been as off as he was tonight. I don't know what to think.
    Hes not finishing his throws like he should which leaves the ball up high.
    Him not being on the same page with his WRs could be fixed by them all working out together this offseason instead of just 1 or 2 working out with Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    They made the playoffs in 2005, but did not get back until 2009. They have the same people making personnel decisions. Assuming they improve, they may be back, but they also have a tougher schedule.

I also think it's very difficult to assume they'll improve. They're much more likely to be content with what they've got, but I hope they prove me wrong. Maybe 19 straight years w/o a playoff win will be what motivates them. Time will tell.
    They need Zimmer back next year or is there is no way they return to the playoffs. I can't think of any division besides the NFC East that contains three playoff contenders each year.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That initial drive to start the game for a 7-0 lead was impressive. Where'd that team go? The remainder was simply embarrassing. They played out of sync, and it looked like without much fire.

Two of the top run defenses in the NFL, and they both gave up 171 yds rushing.

So what was the difference? The tale of two QBs.

Sanchez was the lowest ranked QB in the playoffs, and ended the game with a QB rating of 139.4. An efficient 12/15 for 182 yds, but most importantly - played mistake free football.

Palmer looked terrible. That's all I'm gonna say.
    Not to be nit picky, but the first drive was a Coles fumble. That was huge. It could have been 14-0 in the 1st quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Not to be nit picky, but the first drive was a Coles fumble. That was huge. It could have been 14-0 in the 1st quarter.
    Yep. You're right. Completely forget about that fumble.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Is it baseball season now?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I can't believe hes been in the league as long as he has and he still holds the ball out away from him all the time.

On the bright side, this is about the first time I've ever been optimistic going into next season. I knew the 2005 team was a fluke and wasn't built for sustained winning. But this team has the foundation to be good for several years.

That being said, that all goes out the window if Zimmer leaves which I think he probably will. He seems a little miffed that Mikey boy hasn't talked extension with him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

How many years did we give Coles? He has been a non factor all season and really hurt us with that fumble. I'd be fine with seeing his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    How many years did we give Coles? He has been a non factor all season and really hurt us with that fumble. I'd be fine with seeing his departure.
    He's been a good receiver throughout his career. Hopefully, an off-season spent with Palmer will build his trust in him.

Thinking positively: Palmer should be better next year with another off-season to heal from last years injury; Coles and Caldwell should improve; the TE position can't be any worse; Benson will be back and Scott should improve.

Really, on the offensive side of the ball, they were bad enough this year that they can get better throughout the off-season simply through healing and experience coupled with some minor pickups.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Not much to say. A very frustrating end to a very successful season. Hopefully they can build on this and stay healthy (for once) next year.

With that said, I'm thinking Shayne Graham either needs a shrink or shown the door. He just never seems to be able to hit the clutch FG, whether it be long, medium, or chippy. I think he's damaged goods at this point.

For the draft, I would look for a speedy WR and more depth on the DL. Oh yeah, and hopefully Andre Smith can contribute something next year. The OL needs a bit of help with it's pass protection.

If they can do that and stay somewhat healthy, I'm thinking 10-6 or better next season.

Turn Off Ads?