Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years...yeah right

Re: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years...yeah right

I think Palmer still has the ability, he just needs an OC that understands them and also some weapons to use. Chase Coffman next year hopefully can make some waves as a receiver. Hopefully we can get some safety help in the draft as well.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't believe people are suggesting the Bengals get rid of Marvin Lewis. This is the golden age of the post Paul Brown Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think Palmer still has the ability, he just needs an OC that understands them and also some weapons to use. Chase Coffman next year hopefully can make some waves as a receiver. Hopefully we can get some safety help in the draft as well.

I really want to see a new OC after the play calling I saw from both teams yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I can't believe people are suggesting the Bengals get rid of Marvin Lewis. This is the golden age of the post Paul Brown Bengals.
    I'm mixed on Marvin. Part of me realizes that even with the frustrations, Marvin's run has been better than anything we saw in the 1990's.

But, another side of me thinks that if you give anybody the best years of Chad Johnson, Carson Palmer, TJ, Rudi Johnson, etc., you can scrape together 8-8, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9, 4-11-1, and 10-6.

I realize the 4-11 is mostly from Carson's injury, but either way, Marvin has made quite the career out of going .500.

That's not to say I want him fired. But he needs to win a tad more consistently, IMO. And they most definitely need a new OC. Brat simply has to go. I can't tell you how many times that my brother, the fans around us and I were correctly predicting the exact play the offense was going to run. If the fans can call it, you bet the other team can.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I honestly don't really care what happens to Marvin but they have GOT to keep Zimmer.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

They were one easy Graham FG from going to the playoffs in 2006. Would not have gone far....but making it 2 years in a row to the playoffs is something done once around bengal land.

After reading that stuff on the WT twitter... It would be funny if marvin quit and Zimmer said no thanks and left for the DC job in WAS while turning down the HC here. It would say even worse things about working for Mikey.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    As a Bengals fan, I have no reservations predicting a 27-13 win for the Jets.
    Pretty Close, pret-ty close.
    Witty signature.

You know I've thought about this for my trip home.

If you give the offense credit for the two missed field goals, Carson and company put the team in position for 20 points on the board.
    Against probably the best defense in the NFL 20 points should have been enough.

I actually think yesterday's game falls on the defense. You have to hold a rookie QB with an average running game and no great wide receivers to less than 20 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

That is a good point.

My first reaction is to give the D a bit of a pass though. They've been so great all year long, I think injuries and attrition finally caught up with them.

People's frustration with the offense has been brewing all season long. You'd think they could step up in the one game where the defense really needed them and they just didn't. Your defense can only bail you out so many times.

That being said, I still can't believe how little pressure they got on rookie Sanchez yesterday. He should have been seeing Bengals pass rushers in his sleep after the game, but instead he was barely touched. The Jets do have a great offensive line, though. One of the best in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I honestly don't really care what happens to Marvin but they have GOT to keep Zimmer.
    Zimmer might get a head job. He just lost his wife. He might want a fresh start. New town, new job...a new house. It's hard going into the same house every night that you and your wife picked out. I've heard that is one of the hardest things about the death of a spouse. What ever happens to him, I wish him the very best.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I think the D did a pretty good job for the most part, but just coudn't hold on with too many offensive drives ending in failure. They've been carrying the team all season and just could have used some good offensive drives in the past month of the season and haven't been getting them.

Right now my biggest concern (besides keeping Zimmer) is getting Palmer right. I know he still has the mind and the skills of an elite QB, as evidenced by some of his early season heroics when the Bengals were still being called the "Cardiac Cats" by the media. I feel like his issues are coming from his mechanics. Theismann may be a dummy, but he did note Palmer's misses seemed to be coming from bad mechanics. If I were the Bengals, I'd find a top-notch QB guru to work with him over the offseason to see if his problems can be worked out. I also wouldn't mind it if they picked up a decent backup. I imagine if the Bengals went the other route and just bailed on Palmer, I have fears of reliving the David Klingler era, when the Bengals dumped Boomer Esiason who continued to be productive with other teams while we fans suffered through bad QB after bad QB until Palmer (unless you count the brief period when Jeff Blake was good).

They also need to deal with the issues of drops when it comes to receivers not named Ochocinco. And of course Ochocinco could still probably use some work on his route running.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Zimmer might get a head job. He just lost his wife. He might want a fresh start. New town, new job...a new house. It's hard going into the same house every night that you and your wife picked out. I've heard that is one of the hardest things about the death of a spouse. What ever happens to him, I wish him the very best.
    I think it's foolish to try and guess what Zimmer is thinking. He's the only one who knows that. Thus, it is imperative for the Bengals to make him their best offer. If he accepts it or rejects it, that's up to him. But think he's going because he wants a fresh start is about the same as saying he wants to stay to be around the people who were there for him in his tough times. It's all just trying to put thoughts in a man's head.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think Palmer still has the ability, he just needs an OC that understands them and also some weapons to use.
    Bingo! Other then #85, who are real threats to compliment that in the receiving corp? That, IMO, has not only hurt the Bengals, but also Palmer. They miss guys like TJ and Henry.

And yeah, they need a really solid TE too.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    That is a good point.

My first reaction is to give the D a bit of a pass though. They've been so great all year long, I think injuries and attrition finally caught up with them.

People's frustration with the offense has been brewing all season long. You'd think they could step up in the one game where the defense really needed them and they just didn't. Your defense can only bail you out so many times.
    That's true, I think all the criticisms of the offense are valid for the entire season, but for Saturday I put the blame on them. Well the defense and Shayne Graham. If you're playing a team with as good of a defense and as average at best of an offense as the Jets, you have to convert easy field goals, and you have to make 20 points stand up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Shayne Graham left 6 easy points on the board. That changes the complexion of the game. The Bengals should have been down 4 at one point instead of 10. With 3 TO's and the 2 minute warning they would have been able to do more. Instead Shanke missed 2 easy FG's and really hurt the Bengals chances of winning.

Turn Off Ads?