Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years...yeah right

Re: Bengals vs Jets - 1st Playoff win in 19 years...yeah right

To put it in baseball terms, Palmer can't put the ball where he wants. His control is off. Its either mechanics or his elbow.

You watch other top-level QBs throw, they throw precisely and can pick on which side of the receiver they throw, high, low, etc etc. Probably to about a 6 inch square window. If given adequate time, they can find the open guy and put the ball where he can catch it and the DB can't.

But it seems that Palmer often makes a throw which makes the catch difficult.

Now, he doesn't get any favors from his receivers. NFL receivers should routinely make the difficult catch. Caldwell especially, Coles, and even sometimes Ochocinco don't seem to do that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    To put it in baseball terms, Palmer can't put the ball where he wants. His control is off. Its either mechanics or his elbow.

You watch other top-level QBs throw, they throw precisely and can pick on which side of the receiver they throw, high, low, etc etc. Probably to about a 6 inch square window. If given adequate time, they can find the open guy and put the ball where he can catch it and the DB can't.

But it seems that Palmer often makes a throw which makes the catch difficult.

Now, he doesn't get any favors from his receivers. NFL receivers should routinely make the difficult catch. Caldwell especially, Coles, and even sometimes Ochocinco don't seem to do that.
    One of Palmer's strong suits has always been his ability to thread the needle and arm strength. Honestly, I think it is a stinky receiver corps that is running bad routes, unable to create separation, not able to match up with Palmer on read throws and making him look bad. I hear ya on the high throws and the throws behind the receivers, but I think they are glaring because he is now throwing to second rate receivers.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I worry about Palmer. I don't know whether his elbow is right or not. I understand that a poor pass blocking offensive line, a bad offensive coordinator, and crummy receivers can make you look bad. But he's also missed a TON of throws that he normally would make.

I fear that this man's prime is passing before our eyes, with nothing to show for it.

NY media just ripping Marvin today for using up his challenges so quickly in the first half on such silly plays. I'm from the school that you should only use your challenges in a playoff game on plays that will result in 6 pts. Has anyone in Cincinnati besides those of us in the gamethread asked Marvin about why he burned these challenges.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    NY media just ripping Marvin today for using up his challenges so quickly in the first half on such silly plays. I'm from the school that you should only use your challenges in a playoff game on plays that will result in 6 pts. Has anyone in Cincinnati besides those of us in the gamethread asked Marvin about why he burned these challenges.
    I agree that they were pretty lame challenges that he had little chance of winning. Of course, it seemed every close call was actually called right and simply went against the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I agree that they were pretty lame challenges that he had little chance of winning. Of course, it seemed every close call was actually called right and simply went against the Bengals.
    I thought the first challenge was borderline acceptable because it was a critical play but the second was pretty ridiculous. However, as you pointed out, I didn't notice any other challenge-able calls the rest of the game that would have changed the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You know I've thought about this for my trip home.

If you give the offense credit for the two missed field goals, Carson and company put the team in position for 20 points on the board.
    Against probably the best defense in the NFL 20 points should have been enough.

I actually think yesterday's game falls on the defense. You have to hold a rookie QB with an average running game and no great wide receivers to less than 20 points.
    Jets rushing offense ranks:

YPG #1
    TDs #3(tied)
    1stD #1
    Avg #5(tied)

Those numbers don't add up to an "average running game" to me.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You know I've thought about this for my trip home.

If you give the offense credit for the two missed field goals, Carson and company put the team in position for 20 points on the board.
    Against probably the best defense in the NFL 20 points should have been enough.

I actually think yesterday's game falls on the defense. You have to hold a rookie QB with an average running game and no great wide receivers to less than 20 points.
    Average running game? They were number one in the NFL.

All right fair enough, their running game was ranked #1, but still convert the two field goals and 20 points should be good enough to beat the Jets.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Actually, the Jets scored 21.8 points per game. So you would've needed 22 points.

Honestly, I think it is a stinky receiver corps that is running bad routes, unable to create separation, not able to match up with Palmer on read throws and making him look bad.
    I agree. It looks like Palmer and his receivers weren't in sync at all this year.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    NY media just ripping Marvin today for using up his challenges so quickly in the first half on such silly plays.
    BTW, stay tuned. NY media will have a new target next week, and it will most likely be the plump, smiling, manic depressive coach of their team.

BTW, stay tuned. NY media will have a new target next week, and it will most likely be the plump, smiling, manic depressive coach of their team.
    Nope. It'll be Norv.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I agree. It looks like Palmer and his receivers weren't in sync at all this year.
    I agree. Palmer wasn't as comfortable with the majority of the receivers and I think it showed up in the passing game. I also think they were really hurt with the loss of Chris Henry to that group.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?