Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louisville Starting Lineup & Roster?

Re: Louisville Starting Lineup & Roster?

I think Owings looked a lot better in relief. Cutting down to two pitches and dropping his weakest offering, coupled with a Price reunion have me cautiously optimistic about him. I think he could be this year's Masset (though with lesser stuff and not as much late inning potential). I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up as a 7th inning mainstay and makes Burton expendable.

The bigger problem is the left side. Rhodes may still be good but no way he repeats what he did last year and probably is gone at the deadline. Additionally, Herrera could be in for a second time around "jinx" as the league adjusts to his trick pitch style. Bray really needs to come through. I'm not optimistic about Viola ever making the jump to the big leagues successfully and Valiquette, Thurman and Joseph are a year away. If Wood forces his way into the rotation we may see some one like Maloney moving to relief. Mark Pawelek has good stuff and a stint in the pen could get him moving quickly as well. Guys like Smit, Tabor and Krebs are probably long shots, but you never know with lefty arms. I'd prefer that Horst and Fairel stay on track in the rotation for now. The rest are a couple years away. Long term I think Thurman and Joseph will make lefty relief a strength, but holding the fort until then could be a little dicey IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

You've got four guys, three of which have shown really good stuff in the majors, from the southpaw side, and you're worried?

Wow.

I think you're borrowing trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    You've got four guys, three of which have shown really good stuff in the majors, from the southpaw side, and you're worried?

Wow.

I think you're borrowing trouble.
    But Rhodes and Herrera are likely in for a worse perfromance than 2009. Bray is a question mark and Viola just isn't very good IMO. Viola really is what Homer Bailey's detractors always professed him to be - a guy who doesn't know where its going and to get it over he needs to take enough off that the HR allowed skyrocket. The big difference is Homer was in the big leagues working through it at 20 while Viola will be 27 this season and still doesn't know where its going.

I'm not so much worried as pointing out that 2010 is likely to show worse performance from the left side than 2009. Long term, I really like Thurman and Joseph with Valiquette and whichever starters move to the pen as wild cards. Herrera could continue to be a nice different look type, but many times those types flame out quickly. If Rhodes starts to go south with age or is dealt and the novelty of Herrera wears off, this team could be lacking for a while. Heck even if Rhodes is still very solid, a repeat of his exceptional 2009 is unlikely. If Bray comes all the way back he could take up the slack, but if he doesn't the Reds don't really have anyone else ready for 2010.

The RH side doesn't have those problems with Fisher, Ondrusek and Del Rosario all looking like they could step in at any time.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-10-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Looking like the fifth starter might very well be Arnoldis Chapman, which raises the stakes considerably...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Here is my roster:

C: Corky Miller
    1B: Yonder Alonso
    2B: Chris Valaika
    SS: Zach Cozart
    3B: Juan Francisco
    LF: Todd Frazier
    CF: Chris Heisey
    RF: Josh Anderson
    DH: Danny Dorn

Bench:

Brandon Yarbough or Chris Denove
    Wilkin Castillo or Kevin West
    Chris Burke or Drew Sutton or Adam Rosales

Rotation:

#1: Aroldis Chapman
    #2: Travis Wood
    #3: Justin Lehr
    #4: Matt Klinker
    #5: Sam Lecure

Bullpen:

Lee Tabor
    Enerio Del Rosario
    Logan Ondrusek
    Joe Krebs
    Chad Reineke or Daryl Thompson
    Pedro Viola

Closer:

Jon Adkins
    Last edited by batsfan; 01-11-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Assuming there are no injuries, they are going to have a numbers problem in Triple-A. If the bench guys turn out to be Wilkin Castillo, Burke, Sutton, and West, you are going to have guys like Eymann, Henry, and Griffin in a tough spot. Those guys are really going to take exception to going back to Carolina for a third year. They may ask for their releases or the Reds may try to work out trades for those guys.

Problem is, you could really use those guys in Carolina. As strong as the Louisville roster looks, the Carolina roster looks really weak. It is hard to really identify one single position player on the Sarasota team from the second half of last year that would be a lock to move up. You really are doing the player a disservice if he hits .239 and you ask him to move up a level and be an everyday guy. He likely is going to get eaten alive. They probably would prefer to keep Phipps, Reed, Mesoraco, and Kahaulilio back in Lynchburg, and maybe even Soto too. But you have to put nine guys on the field in Carolina.

Good call on AA, '72. Perhaps the weakest team in recent Red prospect history.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    If the bench guys turn out to be Wilkin Castillo, Burke, Sutton, and West, you are going to have guys like Eymann, Henry, and Griffin in a tough spot. Those guys are really going to take exception to going back to Carolina for a third year. They may ask for their releases or the Reds may try to work out trades for those guys.
    I don't think that Eymann and Griffin have done anything to deserve to start in AAA. We traded Drew M. Anderson, a comparable player, to the Rays last spring training, and he played a full season in A+ and AA, despite being 26.Henry was okay, but he is only 24. None of these guys should be realistically expecting to be on the AAA starting roster, and will most definitely not risk their career and ask for their release.

Turn Off Ads?