Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Bengals 2010

They've kept the right guy....now dump the wrong one.

Good start so far!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    We do need some offensive help, but I'd like to see some great defensive players drafted somewhat early. Let's take something we were good at, and make it great. Offense should be alot easier to correct.
    Is it that hard to teach a running back to catch the ball? Or is Cedric Benson just not a guy who would catch and run anyway? But I agree with you TS, and even though I think the Bengals need some help to give them more throwing options, building a defensive powerhouse can't hurt.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    We do need some offensive help, but I'd like to see some great defensive players drafted somewhat early. Let's take something we were good at, and make it great. Offense should be alot easier to correct.
    Problem with that is the Bengals have $100MM wrapped around Carson Palmer. If they're going to have a great defense (like the Ravens in 2000), you need the majority of your payroll wrapped around it. And you can't have a $100MM QB.

That long article on Bratkowski didn't hit on his biggest issues such as playcalling. Why don't we run the no huddle? Palmer ran it very well 4 yrs ago. Why not now? Why don't we have a bubble screen in our playbook? We can't this offense execute a slant pattern? These are simple things that even rookie QBs can do.

Why did the offense lead the league in penalties?

As for Palmer his biggest problem was not looking off receivers. He locked onto them. He needs to work on that skill for 2010.

I don't think Brat knows the problems with this offense and for that reason is not the guy to turn it around

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm SOOOOO glad they kept Zimmer in Cincy!

Now let's get going on fixing this whole offense problem, LOL :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I'm a little slow on the trigger, came to post the news about Zimm, but see I am way behing, so I'll just say

Woo Hoo! Good news for the Bengals.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Wasn't expecting this to happen so soon. I figured it would be a long drawn out process that would keep us in suspense. Kudos to Mike Brown for getting it done.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Now that we know Zimmer will be back I expect the defense to be even better once they get some guys healthy. Time to concentrate on the offense.

That is fantastic news on Zimmer. The defense just keeps improving under Zimmer and next year should be another good year for the defense as some of the injured players come back.

Mike Brown really hasn't been as horrible as usual in the past 12 months, apart from the Andre Smith negotiations, and it's hard to tell who's really at fault with that sort of thing. Maybe we are entering an age where the Bengals will really just be a normal football team? I probably shouldn't be optimistic here, but the quickness of the Zimmer thing really surprised me.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Mike Brown really hasn't been as horrible as usual in the past 12 months, apart from the Andre Smith negotiations, and it's hard to tell who's really at fault with that sort of thing. Maybe we are entering an age where the Bengals will really just be a normal football team? I probably shouldn't be optimistic here, but the quickness of the Zimmer thing really surprised me.
    I hear what you're saying but I won't be impressed that things have changed unless he addresses the Offensive coach issues. If he brings back Bratkowski and WR coach Sheppard then it shows that he still doesn't demand excellence from his coaches and that'll lead to more mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Problem with that is the Bengals have $100MM wrapped around Carson Palmer. If they're going to have a great defense (like the Ravens in 2000), you need the majority of your payroll wrapped around it. And you can't have a $100MM QB.
    Might be true. But I think if we target the right guys in the draft, we can stockpile good defensive talent for fairly cheap. I think we are a few good players from being pretty elite defensively.

It really depends on our younger players improving next season, which I think they will do. I think our offense can improve drastically just by signing a few stop gap players

WOO HOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Hallelujah!

I don't like Bratkowski either particularly, but given enough talent he can make an offense work, he's shown that in the past. I'd give someone else another chance if it were my team obviously, but the Bengals can win with him as coordinator.

I really think the Bengals just need a shutdown offensive line again that works in both the passing and running game. Palmer doesn't seem to trust his line at all, and the pocket collapses pretty frequently, I think that would solve a lot of issues. And it goes without saying they need another decent receiver or two.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?