Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Tank is a good signing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Free agent WR Antonio Bryant is headed to Cincinnati for a visit tonight and tomorrow. He could be the Bengals WR.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'll say this for Mays if he does indeed need to move to LB at some point, Dhani Jones contract ends after '10 IIRC and then Mualuga could move inside with Mays and Rivers on the outside. So he should still be in the mix, with that speed at that position he could still become an impact player.
    From the few scouting reports I've read on Mays, I don't see how his skill set - or lack of - transitions to linebacker. He doesn't turn his hips well, is a poor tackler, easily fooled by double pumps and lacks fluidity (their word not mine) to move on a dime. I think he is poorly suited to cover tight ends and running backs in a pass happy league. He seems limited to 3rd down blitzing back if moved off safety.

He is big and fast though.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Looks like Tank is back:

TankJohnson99 Cinci we got a deal! Very greatfull to The Browns and all the Who Dey Nation!!! I'm Baaaaaaaack!!!! Now let's win some more
    half a minute ago via UberTwitter
    Good to see he'll be back.
    Now they just need to get Pat Sims to start playing up to his potential.

I really dont see the Bengals making many bad moves this offseasn. All their targets seem to be pretty legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    From the few scouting reports I've read on Mays, I don't see how his skill set - or lack of - transitions to linebacker. He doesn't turn his hips well, is a poor tackler, easily fooled by double pumps and lacks fluidity (their word not mine) to move on a dime. I think he is poorly suited to cover tight ends and running backs in a pass happy league. He seems limited to 3rd down blitzing back if moved off safety.

He is big and fast though.
    Well from watching the combine on NFL network he seemed to have nice fluidity and hip flip relative to most of the guys who competed against him. FWIW what I got from watching the coverage and listening to the analysis of Mayock and Deion Sanders they seemed to think he done quite well in all these drills, etc. I got the impression that what he may be lacking is natural instincts which isn't great but with his talent I think he could do just fine at safety and could learn a goodly amount of what he lacks naturally. As far as poor tackling and double pumps those are things that can be taught. I believe someone (Mayock IIRC) said something about him taking poor angles due to the depth he had to take in his drops at USC, that would have an effect on his tackling.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-08-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Well from watching the combine on NFL network he seemed to have nice fluidity and hip flip relative to most of the guys who competed against him. FWIW what I got from watching the coverage and listening to the analysis of Mayock and Deion Sanders they seemed to think he done quite well in all these drills, etc. I got the impression that what he may be lacking is natural instincts which isn't great but with his talent I think he could do just fine at safety and could learn a goodly amount of what he lacks naturally. As far as poor tackling and double pumps those are things that can be taught. I believe someone (Mayock IIRC) said something about him taking poor angles due to the depth he had to take in his drops at USC, that would have an effect on his tackling.
    Don't get too caught up in the evaluations on Mays. He is a traditional strong safety, who is being graded as a free safety. He is an ideal safety for Mike Zimmer's defense which relies on a safety in run support. The problem is he would be redundant to Chris Crocker. Crocker has the intangibles that Mays does not, but nowhere near the physical attributes.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Basically id take my chances on Mays over pretty much anyone else I could think would be available at 21 unless some how Dez Bryant drops magically.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Don't get too caught up in the evaluations on Mays. He is a traditional strong safety, who is being graded as a free safety. He is an ideal safety for Mike Zimmer's defense which relies on a safety in run support. The problem is he would be redundant to Chris Crocker. Crocker has the intangibles that Mays does not, but nowhere near the physical attributes.
    Well, if you're looking for someone to be Crocker's understudy, ready to step in when Crocker's contract is up, he might be the guy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Taylor Mays would be a great pick.

I think I'd probably rather avoid him but I do think his alledged lack of talent and/or skills is being a bit overplayed for whatever reason. The guy I have read about and who intrigues me most is this Demaryius Thomas kid who I hope is able to run before the draft so we can get a good read on if he is worth taking there. But if he runs the way Kiper thinks he would have (prior to breaking his foot in a 3 cone drill) he might be out of our reach even in the 1st. 6-3 229 pounder who is talented with good (and large) hands but needing to work on some other things due to Ga. Tech being so run oriented. But he could be that deep man early on.

Luckily for him, Thomas was taped running the 40-yard dash, the length NFL teams use to measure speed, in a blistering 4.38 seconds during a camp training session. That video was sent to all 32 of the NFL's teams, his agent Todd France told SI.com on Wednesday. Thomas, a native of Montrose, had 46 receptions for 1,154 yards and eight touchdowns last season (25.1 yd avg.)
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114965
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-09-2010 at 03:22 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Now it looks like both TO and Bryant will be here today. Seems odd to me that they would bring in both on the same day. Maybe it will work out though and seeing them both together will underscore just how old TO is, and they sign Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Now it looks like both TO and Bryant will be here today. Seems odd to me that they would bring in both on the same day. Maybe it will work out though and seeing them both together will underscore just how old TO is, and they sign Bryant.
    Sign em both.

I think Crocker got exposed towards the end of last season. It may have been an ankle injury, but he just didn't have the burst anymore.

There may be an intangible difference between Crocker and Mays right now, but Mays has unreal physical attributes. You just don't see to many people with that size/speed ratio and a frame to build on. I see Mays similar to Maualuga, both have some question marks, but both can blow up a play in an instant with their physical abilities.

As for Tank I really didn't want the Bengals to sign him due to his past history. In watching Hard Knocks and following the Bengals this season I was pleasantly surprised with Tank. Glad to have him back, now its time to get some impact players in.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Sign em both.
    Yes please. Would be great if the Bengals could run legitimately threatening 4 and 5 wide sets.

More and more I think they need to take an offensive lineman in the first round (assuming they don't sign a guard). I won't be angry if they take a safety, but the defense wasn't the problem last year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?