Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Pacman Jones? Matt Jones? Donte Stallworth?

Man, I'm the first guy to defend the Bengals in some of their character renovation projects of the past. I actually tend to think certain stories about "character" catch the media's eye and then get blown way out of proportion (teams aren't paying these guys to be choir boys, after all). But still... these three would seem to be the very height of irresponsibility mixed with talent. Pacman Jones in particular makes TO look like... well... a pretty harmless sideshow act. Wow.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't have a problem with Owens. I live about 1.5 hrs from Buffalo and he was pretty much a model citizen for the Bills last season. He had quite a few opportunities to explode and he was pretty consistently goaded by the Buffalo press to melt down and he never took the bait. Plus the guy caught 55 balls for a 15 yd average with Fitzpatrick being his QB all season. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot but I think you have to put Ocho-Uno on a short leash here.

Stallworth might be worth a gamble, however I want no part of Pacman Jones or Matt Jones here.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I would think that working these players out and looking into what they offer to the team is a worthwhile task. You can really hit lightning in a bottle with some of these players. Sure some don't work out, and the Bengals haven't shown the ability to cut bait before it goes too far, but if done right you can get some talented players on the cheap. Its easier to judge talent than character though.

I think a lot of this story just gets blown out of proportion because its the Bengals and they are "interested" in a player with a history of misbehaviour. How much actual interest the Bengals have in these players is irrelevant to some of these outlets report it.

I really don't care about Matt Jones. If he is clean, and able to help the Bengals out then I am all for it. Pacman and Stallworth I want to part of. I would be fine with TO, he would a little better WR than TJ is at this point in his career. A little more speed but more of an over the middle possession WR.

A few years ago the Reds took a pretty big gamble on a recovered drug addict. It was a feel good story, unfortunately when the Bengals take a chance its the "same old Bungles".

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Say waht you want aboutt the Bengals being cheap ndaand taxkking risks on 'bad character' playersm , but cany you c9imagine the 2Benals withous Cded Bejnson? IF not for him, rthey douldn
    t go t the playoffs.
    Never drink and type.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: TO a Bengal?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    So funny you would say that:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/...rest-in-jones/

That's actually the best sounding idea in the article. It also says the team offered Matt Jones a contract and worked out Pacman Jones. Let the fun begin!
    Just because I like this now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYV9w9O8KpY
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I really don't care about Matt Jones. If he is clean, and able to help the Bengals out then I am all for it. Pacman and Stallworth I want to part of. I would be fine with TO, he would a little better WR than TJ is at this point in his career. A little more speed but more of an over the middle possession WR.

A few years ago the Reds took a pretty big gamble on a recovered drug addict. It was a feel good story, unfortunately when the Bengals take a chance its the "same old Bungles".

Of the guys who had issues before they came to the Bengals, how many have ended up being problems here?

Roy Williams(generally regarded as an uncoachable pain)
    Tank Williams(enough firearms to invade Canada)
    Ced Benson(Two arrests)

All were good soldiers with the Bengals and truly seemed to appreciate that this was their last chance.

I guess Deltha O'Neal did get arrested but that's going back 4-5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Huh? I might need to see an eye doctor b/c my eyes are getting funky when trying to read this.

camisadelgolf, you posting after drinking?!?
    Wow. I totally don't remember typing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Of the guys who had issues before they came to the Bengals, how many have ended up being problems here?

Roy Williams(generally regarded as an uncoachable pain)
    Tank Williams(enough firearms to invade Canada)
    Ced Benson(Two arrests)

All were good soldiers with the Bengals and truly seemed to appreciate that this was their last chance.

I guess Deltha O'Neal did get arrested but that's going back 4-5 years.
    Being a Bengals fan and being close to the situation its pretty annoying and disappointing how much press they now get for bad apples. If my memory serves me correct Maualuga is the only Bengal to get arrested over the last season +. But when the Bengals decide to try out Pacman (who I would boo everytime he steps on the field) and Matt Jones the media comes out in force against them. Not to mention that Tennessee offered him a contract. And Tennessee being the team that gave Pacman multiple chances.

I was completely against the Tank signing, but in his time as a Bengal he was a model citizen (from what I know) and I believe he even started a charity last season.

Sign a few of those players and Hard Knocks will be pleading to film the Bengals again.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Being a Bengals fan and being close to the situation its pretty annoying and disappointing how much press they now get for bad apples. If my memory serves me correct Maualuga is the only Bengal to get arrested over the last season +. But when the Bengals decide to try out Pacman (who I would boo everytime he steps on the field) and Matt Jones the media comes out in force against them. Not to mention that Tennessee offered him a contract. And Tennessee being the team that gave Pacman multiple chances.

I was completely against the Tank signing, but in his time as a Bengal he was a model citizen (from what I know) and I believe he even started a charity last season.
    Well that's actually my point the problem with the Bengals over the years wasn't so much the repeat offenders(though Henry and Thurman would qualify) but rather the sheer number of players who were arrested. It's my experience that most of these players do much better once they've had to sit out for any extended period of time.
    In effect, the Bengals are exploiting an inefficiency in the system by letting other teams drop talented guys, and picking up guys who are looking to redeem themselves.

Many people make fun of the Mike Brown redeemer quote but there's a lot worse things you can say about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

From Profootballtalk.com:

Matt Jones Picks the Bengals

Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis have picked up another reclamation project.

Matt Jones will join the Bengals, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Unlike a potential Pacman Jones signing, this looks like a smart bet for the Bengals.

Jones is not a great big play threat, but we think he's got somewhat of a bad rap as a player. He occasionally took over games in 2008 with the Jaguars and is a difficult guy to defend on third downs and the red zone.

The Bengals wideout group was lacking size and speed last year. Jones gives them some size at a very cheap price. He knows this could be his last chance in the NFL.

If Jones doesn't impress this summer, the Bengals could drop him with nothing less. We think it's more likely that he allows them to cut Laveranues Coles and save some money.
    Last edited by yab1112; 02-12-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

In my opinion, MB's sole motivation, as always, is money. He can sign players like this for less money. And that means more money in his pocket. And generally, the players are talented and would probably be worth more than MB is paying them if it weren't for their.....um.....indiscretions.

Mike Brown doesn't make ANY decision without careful consideration of the financial benefits to the Brown family. I'm not saying that IT is Completely wrong, but it generally does not bode well for success on the field as we fans well know over the past umpteen years.

Not every redeemed player is going to work out and the odds are it ends worse than the possible benefits that could come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    From Profootballtalk.com:
    Matt Jones Picks the Bengals

Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis have picked up another reclamation project.

Matt Jones will join the Bengals, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Unlike a potential Pacman Jones signing, this looks like a smart bet for the Bengals.

Jones is not a great big play threat, but we think he's got somewhat of a bad rap as a player. He occasionally took over games in 2008 with the Jaguars and is a difficult guy to defend on third downs and the red zone.

The Bengals wideout group was lacking size and speed last year. Jones gives them some size at a very cheap price. He knows this could be his last chance in the NFL.

If Jones doesn't impress this summer, the Bengals could drop him with nothing less. We think it's more likely that he allows them to cut Laveranues Coles and save some money.
    Everything in this article makes complete sense to me. Coles was bad last season and the Bengals should rid themselves of his contract. Jones, may be a wild card, but if he is good this year he helps the Bengals, if he is bad they cut him without losing much.

I know some, many in Bengal world, will view this as Mike Brown being cheep. But I think this makes perfect football sense. In what sport isn't it key to find younger, cheaper, and better players?

In the case against Matt Jones, I don't think he's as bad of a character guy as a lot of us are making him out to be. His first conviction was for having cocaine in his car. He had someone else in the car with him at the time, and he denied that the cocaine belonged to him. The second arrest came because he violated probation by testing positive for alcohol. Yes, alcohol. Jones clearly isn't a saint, but it's not like he beats his wife.

Turn Off Ads?