Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Ohio U Football

2010 Ohio U Football

Anyone? :

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio University football 2010

I have a question: do Ohio U. fans do the same O-H...I-O chant that Ohio State fans do? I've only been to one OSU game in person (at IU back in the mid-90s), and I was a bit surprised by the chant since, you know, they aren't Ohio but Ohio State. I also wondered how it plays out on the few occassions when Ohio visits Ohio State. Do OSU fans still do the chant? Are the players confused as to who is being cheered for?

Attack Cat!

They'll have a nice team. Solid defense and an excellent two headed QB attack. They also miss CMU and NIU from the West.

The MAC East will likely come down to the Temple-Ohio game on Nov 16th. Unfortunately that game is in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I have a question: do Ohio U. fans do the same O-H...I-O chant that Ohio State fans do? I've only been to one OSU game in person (at IU back in the mid-90s), and I was a bit surprised by the chant since, you know, they aren't Ohio but Ohio State. I also wondered how it plays out on the few occassions when Ohio visits Ohio State. Do OSU fans still do the chant? Are the players confused as to who is being cheered for?
    I went to the OSU vs. OU game at Ohio Stadium a few years ago, and when the OSU fans started their O...H...I...O cheer, we would all shout ...U... at the end. Good times.

BTW, just for fun, here are the halftime scores of the last two OSU vs. OU games.
    2008: 7-6, OU leading w/ their backup quarterback in. (Stands were dead silent).
    1999: 10-10 w/ OSU playing a 17 year old QB. (Stands were dead silent).
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I bet that was a fun game to be at. I remember it like it was yesterday. We had a very good chance to win, but nonetheless, we represented ourselves quite nicely.

Decent contingent of OU fans at the game?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I went to the OSU vs. OU game at Ohio Stadium a few years ago, and when the OSU fans started their O...H...I...O cheer, we would all shout ...U... at the end. Good times.

BTW, just for fun, here are the halftime scores of the last two OSU vs. OU games.
    2008: 7-6, OU leading w/ their backup quarterback in. (Stands were dead silent).
    1999: 10-10 w/ OSU playing a 17 year old QB. (Stands were dead silent).
    did they get a partial win or tie in the scorebook??

My school, Akron, was up 2-0 against OSU in 2007 on the way to a 20-2 loss.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Marshall fan here. I think you all will have a pretty good team and I'm looking forward to our matchup on 9/25. We play Bowling Green the week before so it should give you a good idea of how you stack up with the Falcons. I was happy when we played in the bowl game last year and am thrilled we are resuming our rivalry. There is no reason Marshall and OU shouldn't play every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I was at that game too. It was quite possibly the most boring football game I've ever watched.

While I'm not a fan of "moral" victories, I do think that those games are as good a qualifier as any. The real beauty of those games was watching tOSU fans sweat, cry, and moan while the 1,000 or so OU fans scattered around the stadium were out cheering them. Now, I don't want to sound too hypocritical here, because Peden Stadium can be an absolute graveyard (as it was when I was a student), but I have learned that you can shut Ohio Stadium down pretty quickly with a combination of poor play from OSU and a lesser opponent. Ohio Stadium definitely rises to the occasion with big opponents like Texas, but the fans also play down to lesser opponents (like OU/Akron). Everyone in the stadium knows who is going to win and they act like it. However, what they fail to realize is that the fans could probably intimidate these little teams right out of the stadium with a little noise (like LSU does). Instead, they sit on their hands and let the other team gain a little confidence and the silence snowballs.

The worst part about those games is that I went with my wife, who has 2 degrees from OU, and yet was rooting 100% for tOSU. She has never been on campus unless it was for a football game. She has never seen the Oval, the Ohio Union (old or new), and couldn't tell you where Neil and Indianola are. I always tease her about being a traitor. Oh well.

I can't offer anything of substance, but I did go to an OU football game last year (my wife went there) and it was actually quite fun. MAC players are very good (maybe not Big 10 level, but still much, much better than, say, me), and you are basically right next to them. It was a good time.

The only down side is there's really nowhere to go after the game to drink. Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The worst part about those games is that I went with my wife, who has 2 degrees from OU, and yet was rooting 100% for tOSU. She has never been on campus unless it was for a football game. She has never seen the Oval, the Ohio Union (old or new), and couldn't tell you where Neil and Indianola are. I always tease her about being a traitor. Oh well.
    That would describe a lot of people who are from Athens/went to OU.

I can't stand the scarley/grey presence on this campus for college gameday. I get many people are from the Columbus area, but I would like to see more support for the green/white.

It will take many, many seasons of winning to do that. Alot of damage was done as a result of decades of losing.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I can't offer anything of substance, but I did go to an OU football game last year (my wife went there) and it was actually quite fun. MAC players are very good (maybe not Big 10 level, but still much, much better than, say, me), and you are basically right next to them. It was a good time.

The only down side is there's really nowhere to go after the game to drink. Oh wait...
    We weren't nearly as succesful when I was there. We did have one 9 win season, but that was during the Randy Moss/Pennington Marshall days, so OU wasn't going to any bowl games. I'm sure they are more exciting these days. The same goes for basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    That would describe a lot of people who are from Athens/went to OU.

I can't stand the scarley/grey presence on this campus for college gameday. I get many people are from the Columbus area, but I would like to see more support for the green/white.

It will take many, many seasons of winning to do that. Alot of damage was done as a result of decades of losing.
    It also hurts that there is very little local support for the team. I remember more local Marshall fans than I do OU fans. Also, SE Ohio is very sparsely populated, so it is hard to get huge crowds.

I was at that OSU-OU a few years back as well. I remember the OU quarterback was running rings around the OSU defense. And the O-H-I-O-U cheer was hilarious.

OU was fortunate to get Frank Solich as coach. Good nuts-and-bolts Nebraska-type coach. Nothing fancy, just buckle your chinstrap football guy. You'll win your fair share of games with that approach.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

When i went there games were free and the QB was 5'7" and they ran the single wing I think... and that was in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I'm curious if the coach had them all line up under the scoreboard for a picture like Lee Corso allegedly did at IU.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?