Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Bengals 2010 pt. I

My fear is that Mike Brown will look at this year and say it was a success and feel that no changes are needed for 2010. That would be a huge mistake.

An absolute "must change" for this team is its offensive coordinator. This team's offensive woes go beyond injuries, schemes and even seasons. This O has been woeful for 3 years now. Marvin will say that they got back to basics and decided to do one thing well: run the ball.

Well, OK, if you're going to be unimaginative and predictable then you'd better be flawless in that specialized area and the Bengals weren't. They still could not execute a boring playbook well. They led the league in offensive penalties. They jumped offsides, they held, they had delay of games...This all reflects on the OC. They have a lot of money tied up in offensive players. This O should be better.

On the passing side of the ball, Carson is locking onto one receiver way too much and Bratkowski did a horrible job "getting receivers open". Yesterday Sanchez looked at one receiver like you'd expect a rookie to do and generally he had some wide open guys to throw to. They threw some new plays at us. What new play did you see from the Bengals?

Far amd away this is the most important change for 2010 and if MB and Marvin don't see it let's hope Carson does. I hope Carson makes it loud and clear that he wants no part in a dink and dunk offense. That might be our only hope for change.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals 2010

Looking at some early mock draft projections....

Damian Williams, WR, USC
    -The Bengals have one top WR so I have them taking another guy to play opposite Ocho Cinco. Williams is a pretty big WR with a good frame and good hands. Look for him to be a first rounder in the 2010 NFL Draft. I have him going to the Bengals because I think he will fit in well with their scheme and help balance their offense out.

TE Jermaine Gresham, OKlahoma
    -Gresham is an elite tight end and if would have stayed healthy might have been a top 10 selection in the 2010 NFL Draft.

-In recent years the Bengals have accumulated a lot of young defensive talent, using four consecutive first round picks on that side of the ball from 2005-2008 plus second and third rounders last year. Perhaps now it’s time to help out the offense. Cincinnati has been searching for a pass catching threat at tight end for years but with little or no luck. Granted they just drafted Chase Coffman last year but his inability to get on the field and make an impact even though the Bengals were decimated by injuries at the tight end position speaks volumes. Oklahoma’s Jermaine Gresham might have been the first tight end selected in the 2009 NFL Draft had he come out early and he entered this season as a potential Top 15 overall pick. Unfortunately a knee injury wiped out Gresham’s senior campaign but he still has time to recover and to re-establish himself as a first round pick. A great athlete who in many ways is a wide receiver in a tight end’s body, Gresham has excellent hands, terrific ball skills and body control and the ability to stretch the field vertically. Not only would Gresham finally give Cincy a true playmaker at tight end but he’d also help open things up for the rest of the Bengals offense. Cincinnati also needs an upgrade at safety, where Chris Crocker, Roy Williams and Chinedum Ndukwe leave something to be desired, and a premier talent at defensive tackle could be a possibility as well.

Jared Odrick, DT, Penn St
    -Penn State’s Jared Odrick really kicked his game up a notch as a senior and has put himself in contention for a spot in the first round. A great athlete who is very quick off the snap and gets a lot of penetration, Odrick is a classic three-technique.

DE Carlos Dunlap (Florida)
    -Someone is going to jump on Dunlap in the first round. There are issues that have to be hashed out, but the Bengals scored big time drafting defenders with red flags in 2009. Adding him could make their defense downright scary assuming he pans out and stays out of trouble.

Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU
    -Aside from a fluky blowout over the Bears, the Bengals haven't scored more than 24 points in a single game since Oct. 4. Part of the problem is the lack of a competent No. 2 receiver across from Chad Ochocinco. In the wake of Chris Henry's passing, the wide receiver position is more of a need than ever for Cincinnati.

I'm hoping the sophomore Texas safety Earl Thomas is available when we pick. I think he could be like Ed Reed or whatever.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

With Kelly coming back and Coffman only being a a rookie, I think they should wait until a later round if they feel the need to draft a tight end. Whether the reason Coffman didn't see the field this season was a nagging injury or failure to learn the offense (or both), those are both things that will get better with time. This kid was a big time talent in college. You have to give him at least one more year.

Assuming they don't add someone though FA, they need to go WR with the first pick. That being said - I like LaFell.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Look what Zimmer did with the players he had and look what Bratkowski did with the players he had.

Thats all I need to look at to see which coach needs to go and which needs to stay.

My guess is if they pick a WR #1 it'll be Golden Tate, ND

Willie Anderson said on Twitter that Marvin wanted to bring in Hue Jackson last year to be OC, but he was told he couldn't fire any offensive coaches.

Presumably by Mike Brown, and presumably because Brown didn't want to pay the rest of Brat's contract. If that's true it just shows why the Bengals will never be consistently good as long as Mike Brown is running the team, he's too much of a liability.

If that's true I also expect Marvin to leave when his deal is over, he has to be beyond frustrated by now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is if they pick a WR #1 it'll be Golden Tate, ND
    I wouldn't be against drafting him but the Bengals seem to like big WRs and if I remember correctly it was the reason they passed up on Jackson to take Simpson.

Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, and Shame Graham are the only real free agent losses that must be addressed. The needs in offensive playmaking are obvious.

My short list for the 2010 draft so far, in no particular order.

1. Taylor Mays (only if Mike Zimmer is here, he is perfect for Zimmer's scheme)
    2. Terrance Cody
    3. Arrelious Benn
    4. Jermaine Gresham
    5. Dez Bryant
    6. Marvin Austin
    7. Marty Gilyard

Areas of need for the Bengals WR, TE, DT, S, K

I would prefer to see the Bengals draft a TE later in the draft, a player like Jake Ballard from Ohio State springs to mind for a mid to late round pick.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I still think the biggest areas to address are in this order.
    1) LT: I Don't like Whitworth at LT. He can't handle the speed rushers. Move him to LG, move Mathis to RG and say good-bye to Bobbie Williams (he's too old and I saw him whiff too many times this season).

2) WR: That Jerome Simpson pick is looking awfully horrible right now. We need somebody to play opposite of Chad. We could have had Desean Jackson but this is nothing new in Bungle Land. I like Caldwell in the slot though.

3) CB: Leon Hall and Joseph are a great, young tandem. However, JJ is going to be FAs after next season, with Hall a FA after next season. Trent is a good nickel back, but he's no starter. We need to get a CB because I hate starting a rookie CB.

4) Safety: Eh...they're just not that good. Crocker is alright. I really don't like Ndukwe all that much

I would like either a WR or a TE in the first round. One of Gresham, Williams, and Lafell should be there when the Bengals pick in round 1. Gresham would be a steal in my opinion.

I don't buy the reports that Brown didn't want Brat gone because of eating a contract. Marvin would have quit on the spot if he lost control over picking his coaches for the team. That's one thing that is a deal breaker for a lot of coaches. Brat should be gone I don't know how the Bengals would keep him on after the offensive let down the team had this year. Mike Martz would be a nice option but I think Hue will be the pick. Team also needs to keep Zimmer on, he seems like a loyal guy who has grown close with this group of players.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I don't know that Marvin has ever had control of who his coaching staff is. I'd be surprised if he does have complete control, Brown is a micro-manager.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

You guys think there is any chance The Bengals make an offer to a guy like Brandon Marshall this offseason? It looks like he's worn his welcome out in Denver and with this being an uncapped year, they could cut bait with Coles or whoever to free some money up.

Getting a guy like Marshall would make WR a much less pressing need in the draft. But they have to do something. I'd also love to see Mardy Gilyard as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. But, The Bengals did pass up on DeSean Jackson because he was smaller than Jerome Simpson, so that probably means a no-go on Mardy.

Marshall is essentially Chad Ochocinco but grumpy instead of a circus sideshow. Not really a deep threat. More of a YAC guy, like Chad.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I know Marshall really isn't a deep guy, I'd just love to have a sure handed guy who can catch a ton of footballs. His attitude is a concern, but then again, so is the attitude of quite a few current Bengals. Winning usually cures that.

Here's me thinking out loud: What type of draft status does Tony Pike have? I know he's probably not first round material, but if he's available in the mid rounds I wouldn't mind at all if The Bengals picked him up. He's a tall guy with a good arm, and Carson isn't getting any younger. It'd be nice to have a competent backup, if nothing else.

Most Mock's have Pike in the 2nd round. Scouts think he is a system QB that may or may not pan out. I think from the numbers I have seen 75% of QB's drafted in the 2nd round fail. it will depend on how he does at the combine he may move up as he has nice size for a QB.

I would imagine that Monday will be the day something shakes loose among the Bengals FO. Brat being let go is a possibility.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?