Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My list would be LT, WR, S, RB, QB, CB in that order. LT is the obvious need.
    The Bengals window of opportunity is now so they need an impact player. The "impact" left tackles will be gone long before the Bengals pick, although they could draft a guard who could come in and start right away. And, whether he ends up their or not, they drafted their LT last year in Andre Smith. It may have been a bad pick but a top ten tackle should fill that position not right tackle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The Bengals window of opportunity is now so they need an impact player. The "impact" left tackles will be gone long before the Bengals pick, although they could draft a guard who could come in and start right away. And, whether he ends up their or not, they drafted their LT last year in Andre Smith. It may have been a bad pick but a top ten tackle should fill that position not right tackle.
    They drafted Andre Smith to be a RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Just do not ignore the defense....like they ignored the offense pretty much in 05-08.....and before you realize it...your offense sucks beacuse of injuries/bad later picks you do get or players who under-achieve.

It happened in the late 80's when they went all out on defense and kept drafting lineman really late in the draft....and think McNally would turn them to gold like he did Kozerski and Reimers and Montoya...who were drafted after the 5th-6th rounds. Before you know it...you have Kevin Sargent manning the LT and people like Ken Moyer and Scott Brumfield manning your G positions.
    I don't know if they've really ignored offense during those years. I think the problem is that the offensive players they've drafted haven't had the success that some of their defensive draft picks have had.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I haven't been the biggest Brat supporter over the years, but to be fair he had some pretty difficult personnel issues to deal with this year.

1) Depleted WR corps -- The losses of TJ and Slim were huge and never really overcome. Ocho was rejuvenated this year, but Coles never really figured out the playbook (and/or fell of the performance cliff that a lot of 30 year-old WR do). Caldwell flashed but was still too young and inconsistent to be dependable every game. Without his customary array of wideouts, Carson was left to throw to Coats (stone hands), Foschi (passable) and a cast of misfits way more often than he should have.

2) I also think the offensive line, while much better than anyone expected in the pre-season, also had serious weaknesses in pass blocking. I think by the end of the year Brat was actually pretty limited in his repertoire for play calling simply because the O was struggling so badly in certain facets of the game. It was too late to start over, so they just tried to keep going with what worked (Ced 25+ times a game with a few passes to Chad). For good teams, that was just too easy to stop. Heck, even for a solid playoff team like the J-E-T-S, it was too one-dimensional.

If they don't go with a wideout or a TE in the first round to address the first need, I kind of hope they go for a good G to line up next to Andre Smith on the right side. Bobbie Williams is getting old and you can never have too many OL. With Whitworth, Mathis, Cook, a new draftee and Smith starting while Roland and Livings rotate in, I think the OL could really establish something solid to go along with an improving D. Then we might really have something here.
    Last edited by RedEye; 01-26-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I have read rumors that Coles was more hurt than they let on publicly, which I kind of hope is true as it would mean he might bounce back next year with better health.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I haven't been the biggest Brat supporter over the years, but to be fair he had some pretty difficult personnel issues to deal with this year.

1) Depleted WR corps -- The losses of TJ and Slim were huge and never really overcome. Ocho was rejuvenated this year, but Coles never really figured out the playbook (and/or fell of the performance cliff that a lot of 30 year-old WR do). Caldwell flashed but was still too young and inconsistent to be dependable every game. Without his customary array of wideouts, Carson was left to throw to Coats (stone hands), Foschi (passable) and a cast of misfits way more often than he should have.

2) I also think the offensive line, while much better than anyone expected in the pre-season, also had serious weaknesses in pass blocking. I think by the end of the year Brat was actually pretty limited in his repertoire for play calling simply because the O was struggling so badly in certain facets of the game. It was too late to start over, so they just tried to keep going with what worked (Ced 25+ times a game with a few passes to Chad). For good teams, that was just too easy to stop. Heck, even for a solid playoff team like the J-E-T-S, it was too one-dimensional.

If they don't go with a wideout or a TE in the first round to address the first need, I kind of hope they go for a good G to line up next to Andre Smith on the right side. Bobbie Williams is getting old and you can never have too many OL. With Whitworth, Mathis, Cook, a new draftee and Smith starting while Roland and Livings rotate in, I think the OL could really establish something solid to go along with an improving D. Then we might really have something here.
    I would love to see Idaho's G/T Iupati join the Bengals' Offensive Line. Can't have too many good Samoans, what with their strength of character, determinedness, and flat-out nastiness on the field. But, as you pointed out, my first choice would be a Tight End. If we're going to commit to the run, then either of those players would be excellent first round choices.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-27-2010 at 04:44 AM.

Unfortunately, I wonder what the penalty will be for Maualuga next year for his DUI last night? Is it to much to ask to take a cab every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by mash3024 View Post
    Unfortunately, I wonder what the penalty will be for Maualuga next year for his DUI last night? Is it to much to ask to take a cab every now and then.
    Doesn't the first offense involve a fine and entering a substance abuse program. I don't think he will miss any games, but the league will definately be watching him closely. Its dissapointing, but everyone makes mistakes. This is his first and hopefully his last.

Unfortunately, I can here it coming already. People claiming it is an example that nothing has changed with the Bengals. I don't throw him on the list of former Bengals with discipline problems unless it happens again. He wasn't even around when the Bengals were the "thugs" of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Doesn't the first offense involve a fine and entering a substance abuse program. I don't think he will miss any games, but the league will definately be watching him closely. Its dissapointing, but everyone makes mistakes. This is his first and hopefully his last.

Unfortunately, I can here it coming already. People claiming it is an example that nothing has changed with the Bengals. I don't throw him on the list of former Bengals with discipline problems unless it happens again. He wasn't even around when the Bengals were the "thugs" of the NFL.
    I wasn't sure how they reacted with the first offense so hopefully that is correct.

Now that I'm thinking about it, didn't the same happen to Leon Hall last year without suspension?

Maualuga seems like a good guy, lets hope this will be his first and only offense.

Another reason why we need good depth. Our players can't even stay out of trouble for a month past the season ends.

PRESENTS

Your 2010 Cincinnati Bengals

http://www.yardbarker.com/author/art...ternal/2032714

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I would take TO at this stage in his career. One year, incentive laden deal. Character wise in Buffalo he was pretty good. TO would allow the Bengals to draft a WR a little later and use the 1st rounder on an OT or TE.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would take TO at this stage in his career. One year, incentive laden deal. Character wise in Buffalo he was pretty good. TO would allow the Bengals to draft a WR a little later and use the 1st rounder on an OT or TE.
    I'd rather trade our 2nd or 3rd Rounder to Arizona for Boldin. He's tough as nails and doesn't have alligator arms. Palmer has enough Wide Receivers dropping passes than to add to the mix the 2nd worst pass-dropper in the league, next to Braylon Edwards.

NO! This man is a cancer everywhere he goes, and all Palmer needs is someone like him on the field to distract. Besides, imagine how he and Ochocinco would fuel each other.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    NO! This man is a cancer everywhere he goes, and all Palmer needs is someone like him on the field to distract. Besides, imagine how he and Ochocinco would fuel each other.

Two negatives make a positive!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?