Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    It would be nice to have a short pass option considering Cedric can't really catch.
    That would be a reason to sign him, but unfortunately, LT is going to have to be humbled, as he's not worth more than $2M a year to anyone. I doubt if he signs with anyone before April.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It would be nice to have a short pass option considering Cedric can't really catch.
    Both Scott and Leonard can catch but Scott didn't seem to see much playing time when Benson was healthy.

Blah.

LT at least gives you some play making ability. Leonard did make some good plays after the catch though.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

LT's last 4 seasons receiving yards:
    06: 508
    07: 475
    08: 426
    09: 154

Rushing avg:
    06: 5.2
    07: 4.7
    08: 3.8
    09: 3.3

Not sure what in there suggests anything other than he is following the steep drop-off that 30 yr old RBs all seem to hit. Why would anyone think he would improve next year after 4 years of decline?

In 2005 or 2006, yeah. In 2010? I'm not so sure about that. He didn't give San Diego much play-making ability last year (even the last 2 years).

He does have a big name and big reputation, but the Bengals have far greater needs than a once-great RB (the same way they didn't need to sign Shaun Alexander after Seattle released him.)

Blah.

LT at least gives you some play making ability. Leonard did make some good plays after the catch though.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    In 2005 or 2006, yeah. In 2010? I'm not so sure about that. He didn't give San Diego much play-making ability last year (even the last 2 years).

He does have a big name and big reputation, but the Bengals have far greater needs than a once-great RB (the same way they didn't need to sign Shaun Alexander after Seattle released him.)
    Bingo. Remember when people were upset because the Bengals didn't sign the hometown favorite Alexander and opted for Cedric Benson instead?

Pass on LT. He is way past his prime, and Bernard Scott/Brian Leonard are adequate for backups.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Hey, I think he is probably done as a RB, but I was thinking of a 3rd down RB or another pass option. I'm not all for signing him, but I wouldn't be mad if we did.

However, I really hope he proves us all wrong. I did notice that SD seemed to try and use him as a power RB last season. From the games I watched, it seemed like every running play was up the middle where no hole exists.

Brian Westbrook is out there now too. Definitely didn't see that coming. I didn't know LT had declined til I looked up his stats the other day. Haven't looked at Westbrook's yet.

I think the Bengals are full up at the RB position. Scott and Leonard will offer more than LT or Westbrook would. I think it would be a huge mistake for them to sign one of those guys, though I know they never will. Brown isn't the type to take an older player that is over the hump. Don't get me wrong, I am an LT fan. I think the guy was a great player and still has a little left in the tank. But, he's not going to offer more than Scott or Leonard would as evidenced by Larry Johnson this year. He's a good possibly great RB, but the Bengals opted to play in house options and use him as an absolute last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Root Down View Post
    I think the Bengals are full up at the RB position. Scott and Leonard will offer more than LT or Westbrook would. I think it would be a huge mistake for them to sign one of those guys, though I know they never will. Brown isn't the type to take an older player that is over the hump. Don't get me wrong, I am an LT fan. I think the guy was a great player and still has a little left in the tank. But, he's not going to offer more than Scott or Leonard would as evidenced by Larry Johnson this year. He's a good possibly great RB, but the Bengals opted to play in house options and use him as an absolute last resort.
    Oh I see what you're saying and I know they wouldn't sign them either. I just tend to disagree that it would be a bad idea, as a combination of the fact that I'm not nearly as high on Leonard and Scott as others are or as sold on the fact that LT/Westbrook are complete toast (more Westbrook than LT.)

I'm just saying, I like the chances of one of them re-emerging and having a productive season a la Ced Benson more so than I like the chances of Scott/Leonard having that kind of season.

Leonard is one of the 5 best "3rd-Down backs" in the NFL right now. I saw several reports saying he was the very best last season. Obviously, this doesn't take into account full-time backs who can also catch, as that list has plenty of players better than Leonard at 3rd downs. But, for pure 3rd-down backs, we have one of the very best in the NFL right now.

Where we could use another Runningback is someone who can be an every-down back in case Cedric Benson gets injured. That player, the Bengals feel, is not Leonard. Since Scott has proven to be an excellent Kick Returner for us, we'd get hurt in the Kick Return department if Scott has to take over for Benson.

The Bengals are definitely going to add another Runningback because of this, but neither Westbrook or LT fall into that mold. Thomas Jones does, though.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-24-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Coles was cut today, looks more and more like that top pick in April will be a wide out. Also Graham is very doubtful that he will be resigned as well.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

We will sign Kevin Walter. I almost guarantee it.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    We will sign Kevin Walter. I almost guarantee it.
    Probably. And the team will still have no deep threat. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Probably. And the team will still have no deep threat. Wonderful.
    That may be true or not. It takes a whole lot less to be the deep threat/decoy and a guy could come out of the draft for just that, look at Henry his 1st year. Sure we missed Chris after he was gone last season but the real problem with this offense was no TJ who worked the underneath routes, consistently made catches (especially on 3rd down), etc. Kevin Walter is actually a really smart acquisition because of his intelligent route running and excellent hands but that would depend on how much money they were to give him. He's not worth TJ money but he'd be a somewhat shrewd move.

That said I would much rather spend the money on a big time TE who can work those underneath routes and/or stretch the field. Enter Ben Watson who would help take the double coverages off by eating up the middle of the field. Caldwell and Ocho could start on the outside and find their deep man in the draft. If they don't appreciate Watson well then there are several intriguing options at TE this offseason and guys who should come cheaper but wouldn't stretch the field quite as well. Bo Scaife is an able blocker and has excellent hands underneath, Owen Daniels would be a risk due to his torn up knee last season but Tony Scheffler wouldn't be a bad fit either although the latter 3 are all RFA's, Watson being unrestricted. I'd also give Anthony Fasano a look as well.

Me I'd sign a couple of solid TE options like Fasano and re-sign Kelly and Foschi and spend the big dollars on Brandon Marshall, be bold it's time to go all in.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-04-2010 at 11:22 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?