Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    What makes you think there's a strong possibility Dez Bryant will be there at 21? I've yet to see a single mock draft that has him still available at 15, let alone 21. I don't think anyone would advocate selecting Tate over Bryant, but the problem is I don't think Bryant will be there at 21.

I can see where you're coming from with the Peter Warrick comparisons, although I don't remember Warrick being nearly as fast as Tate.
    Well, for one here's Mayock's mock draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

He has us selecting the Tate and the Ravens getting Bryant with their 21st pick (I'd punch the tv if that happened).

And I think you're forgetting how much hype and skill Warrick showcased at Florida State. He was a top 5 pick for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjErO91Dtc

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Adam Schefter:

Bengals have contemplated pursuing Marshall. How serious the Bengals will be still is a matter of discussion within the organization.
    Don't know about anyone else, but I actually wouldn't mind the team giving up a first rounder for Brandon Marshall. He'd be a much better option than TO, that's for sure... and he might actually stick around for more than next year. The Bengals just aren't going to get a quick fix at WR through the draft this year--and Palmer isn't getting any younger. It's time to give him the weapons to make a run now.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I don't know if I'd be willing to trade a first rounder for Marshall. He is frequently in trouble with the law and very injury prone. If just one or the other were his only problem, I'd be more inclined to hope that deal happens, but I don't think it's worth it.

My only worry is that the NFL will suspend Marshall for a while if he gets in trouble while with the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't know if I'd be willing to trade a first rounder for Marshall. He is frequently in trouble with the law and very injury prone. If just one or the other were his only problem, I'd be more inclined to hope that deal happens, but I don't think it's worth it.

Marshall's a really tough call. A look at his Wikipedia page shows this:

Records and milestones

• Most catches in an NFL game (21).[8]
    • Third-most catches in an NFL game (18).[33]
    • Most receptions spanning five games in NFL history (55).[5]
    • Only player in NFL history to have at least 10 receptions in four out of five games.[5][34]
    • First player since 1960 to record eight career games of at least 10 receptions in his first four seasons.[48]
    • One of only five players in NFL history (first Broncos player) to catch at least 100 passes in three straight seasons.[9]
    • Ninth player in NFL history (second Broncos player) to have at least 100 catches in back-to-back seasons (2007 and 2008).[41]
    • Caught 102 passes in 2007 (second-career NFL season), becoming only the third second-year player in NFL history to have at least 100 receptions in a season.[21]
    ...but then it also shows this:

Legal trouble

• According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[54]
    • On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggetsforward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[55] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[56]
    • On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[57] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[58]
    • In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[59] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[60] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.
    • On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[61] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[60]
    • According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[62]
    • A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[63] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[64] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[65]
    • On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[66] The charges were dropped the following day.[67]

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Marshall is better than every WR they could possibly take in the draft and its not even close.

Marshall is a long term fix. Owens could be a good short term fix though because even if he drops passed hes still a big dude who does a lot of things right on the football field.

Getting Owens and maybe getting Taylor Mays even though people say he isnt good enough to stay at Saftey is a good plan in my eyes as well.

Basically my opinion is this

1. Marshall
    2. Owens
    2a. Dez Bryant
    2b. Taylor Mays
    2c. Golden Tate
    2d. CJ Spiller.
    Last edited by GIDP; 03-07-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Well, for one here's Mayock's mock draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

He has us selecting the Tate and the Ravens getting Bryant with their 21st pick (I'd punch the tv if that happened).

And I think you're forgetting how much hype and skill Warrick showcased at Florida State. He was a top 5 pick for a reason.
    I didn't say anything about his hype or skill. Desmond Howard might be a better comp, as he had even MORE hype and skill than either player.

I just said he wasn't as fast.

Warrick ran a 4.6.
    Tate ran a 4.4.

Doesn't sound like much, but that is a huge difference- especially for WRs that are already size-challenged. Peter Warrick was more Desmond Howard. Golden Tate IMO could be more like a lesser Steve Smith, and carries far less risk at #21 than either Warrick or Howard did at #4 overall.
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-07-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Marshall is better than every WR they could possibly take in the draft and its not even close.

Marshall is a long term fix. Owens could be a good short term fix though because even if he drops passed hes still a big dude who does a lot of things right on the football field.

Getting Owens and maybe getting Taylor Mays even though people say he isnt good enough to stay at Saftey is a good plan in my eyes as well.

Basically my opinion is this

1. Marshall
    2. Owens
    2a. Dez Bryant
    2b. Taylor Mays
    2c. Golden Tate
    2d. CJ Spiller.
    I agree with this although I'd probably swap Mays and Tate- especially if we don't get Marshall or TO.

If Mays isn't "good enough to stay at Safety," where is he good enough to stay? Home?

I'd add Mike Iupati as 2e and Arrelious Benn as 3 (if we don't get Marshall or Owens, and Bryant and Tate are off the board.)
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-07-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I agree with this although I'd probably swap Mays and Tate- especially if we don't get Marshall or TO.

If Mays isn't "good enough to stay at Safety," where is he good enough to stay? Home?

I'd add Mike Iupati as 2e and Arrelious Benn as 3 (if we don't get Marshall or Owens, and Bryant and Tate are off the board.)
    some people think Mays wont stick at safety because he supposedly isnt all that good in coverage. Some think he might have to become a LBer.

I think the Bengals sign Marshall or Owens. It just a matter of which one.

I'll say this for Mays if he does indeed need to move to LB at some point, Dhani Jones contract ends after '10 IIRC and then Mualuga could move inside with Mays and Rivers on the outside. So he should still be in the mix, with that speed at that position he could still become an impact player.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Ok been going over this in my mind and there are various ways to improve this team. The best way to do it in my mind is blatantly obvious, you sign Brandon Marshall, off field incidents be damned. Just figure it this way, if the Bengals were to even go to the AFC Championship game, to a Super Bowl, to win a Super Bowl the impact it would have for seasons to come for the Bengals. my gosh. You may never have the opportunity again to sign a player of this caliber at a time when it is right to do so, this team is ready to make that trek and they need to make a bold move and sign an impact guy. This is the right impact guy because he fits both of what the Bengals need, he has excellent hands and good long speed as well. He's a one stop fix for the offense (sans a solid TE). We don't have anyone like in years past that is a UFA who will make such an impact on another team that they will bring a 3rd rounder next offseason. So there is no obstruction there. He could have easily been tendered so as to bring Denver back a 1st and 3rd but they didn't. But they (Denver) have made it known there will be no negotiating he will cost a 1st rounder, which may make Seattle balk since they choose 6th. He's young enough to be the go to guy for Carson once Chad hangs 'em up (and really probably prior to that even). Also if you really wanted to get back up high in the draft you can deal a 3rd (should have 2) to jump way up in the 2nd for that Safety (Earl Thomas/Taylor Mays) or not.

The only issue would be his contract should he continue to get into trouble and contractually you could conceivably put some language in there to protect you should he do such things. This makes all of the sense in the world from every aspect. Who knows we could have an NFL on strike after 2010-2011 season so time to go for it now. A good back up plan could be T.O. but if you do that you might want to find a solid sure handed TE who can get you those tough 3rd downs.

I see no downside to making the bold move now!
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-08-2010 at 07:22 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Have read some online speculation over the last few days, that because the Bengals cut Coles before March 5, he doesn't count toward the free agent draft pick compensation formula. Somehow there are likely to be in line to receive an extra third and a fourth round pick as free agent compensation.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Have read some online speculation over the last few days, that because the Bengals cut Coles before March 5, he doesn't count toward the free agent draft pick compensation formula. Somehow there are likely to be in line to receive an extra third and a fourth round pick as free agent compensation.
    They will get a 3rd round comp pick for TJ. Remember the comp picks are based upon what happened before the 2009 season. From the looks of it the Bengals may receive the highest 3rd round comp pick for TJ because of his productive season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They will get a 3rd round comp pick for TJ. Remember the comp picks are based upon what happened before the 2009 season. From the looks of it the Bengals may receive the highest 3rd round comp pick for TJ because of his productive season.
    Stacey Andrews as well.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Looks like Tank is back:

TankJohnson99 Cinci we got a deal! Very greatfull to The Browns and all the Who Dey Nation!!! I'm Baaaaaaaack!!!! Now let's win some more
    half a minute ago via UberTwitter

Turn Off Ads?