Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yes please. Would be great if the Bengals could run legitimately threatening 4 and 5 wide sets.

More and more I think they need to take an offensive lineman in the first round (assuming they don't sign a guard). I won't be angry if they take a safety, but the defense wasn't the problem last year.
    Agreed. If they invest in offensive skill positions in free agency, they need to invest in the line early in the draft. It becomes a moot point if O'Sullivan is under center.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    More and more I think they need to take an offensive lineman in the first round (assuming they don't sign a guard). I won't be angry if they take a safety, but the defense wasn't the problem last year.
    I never grouse about taking offensive lineman early, but I have no issues if they take a stud defensive player earlier either. We have a guy that knows how to use his talent on the defensive side of the ball. A defensive player is much more likely to contribute significantly this season, than any offensive draftee would, IMO.

The place we need the biggest boost on offense is WR, followed by TE, followed by the line. WRs are notorious for needing a year or two to "get it". I hope they go the FA route to get a solid WR. To me, that leaves the Defense with the first pick (though Mike Brown had a real chubby for offensive skill players).

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Now it looks like both TO and Bryant will be here today. Seems odd to me that they would bring in both on the same day. Maybe it will work out though and seeing them both together will underscore just how old TO is, and they sign Bryant.
    I thought it was odd too. I'd ask them to square off in a 40 yd race...

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I thought it was odd too. I'd ask them to square off in a 40 yd race...
    Mike Brown probably found a 1 day sale on airfare so he decided to bring them both in at the same time to save $30.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Don't get too caught up in the evaluations on Mays. He is a traditional strong safety, who is being graded as a free safety. He is an ideal safety for Mike Zimmer's defense which relies on a safety in run support. The problem is he would be redundant to Chris Crocker. Crocker has the intangibles that Mays does not, but nowhere near the physical attributes.
    From those who've watched him a lot in Southern California, he sucked and is way....way...overrated.

We do not want this guy.

He also can't cover anyone worth didly.

I'm excited about this draft. We could go numerous directions that could help the team out.

Glaring needs are WR and TE, but it looks like we are going to pick up a vet WR.

I like the idea of picking up a superior athlete (Mays)... If all Mays lacks is that natural instinct or awareness, I'd go for it. Good defensive coaches can mask or hide a weakness like that IMO. I love the idea of picking up a guy with great size and amazing speed.

If we do address a need, we end up getting Gresham or Tate most likely, which would improve our team either way IMO. I'd also be fine with bolstering the offensive line.

It really makes a difference drafting to add depth or address a minor weakness or two, instead of trying to completely re haul the team like in the past.

Hopefully someone drops big time and we can land a Rey "DUI" M in the 2nd round.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I was really kind of hoping they would really go after Brandon Marshall but it's looking like they want to again spread the money around. Not a bad idea but I think for once they need to make the plunge on an impact difference making guy. They could get the same or similiar enough impact with a T.O. and a sure handed TE. But unless they really believe Matt Jones is the answer as the deep threat or they have someone in mind in the draft for that then I fail to see how Bryant alone helps matters. I suppose they could then go after a Ben Watson at TE who can help spread the field better. The way I see it they need to duplicate what they had with Chad, TJ and Henry but I suppose they don't have to have the exact same alignment but they do need to stretch out the field well. Watch the Colts, the Saints, the Vikings etc. they have both the time to find open WR's and the guys who both catch the ball and have enough speed to make big plays when they get it because other defenders are so far away. Imagine Ced running thru those holes.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From those who've watched him a lot in Southern California, he sucked and is way....way...overrated.

We do not want this guy.

He also can't cover anyone worth didly.
    I'm approaching Mays the same way I did his USC counterpart (Maualuga) last spring. Wouldn't use a first round pick on him, but if he somehow managed to slide into the second round, take him and don't look back.

If it is anybody but Gresham or Tate I am not going to be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm approaching Mays the same way I did his USC counterpart (Maualuga) last spring. Wouldn't use a first round pick on him, but if he somehow managed to slide into the second round, take him and don't look back.

DT Bryan Price of UCLA would be a great pick. There are several players that would be a good pick who'll be available when the Bengals pick, but Mays isn't one of them. Gresham will definitely be available when they pick, and should be availabe at the very end of the 1st Round, if not the 2nd Round. I don't want a 1st Round Wide Receiver. Golden Tate isn't going to make any Pro Bowl. I want to use that 21st pick on the BPA, and make it someone who'll make the Pro Bowl.

Mays' issues are that he not only can't backpedal, but he can't go side-to-side either.

Serioulsy, he can't cover anyone....not at the Pro Level.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

If it is anybody but Gresham or Tate I am not going to be happy
    Really, I am just the opposite I am not sure either of those guys are the answer. Don't get me wrong I see their strong points and how helpful they could be but I think i'd rather have a more complete player with a potentially bigger impact. I guess I am looking alot at their weaknesses.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Very similar situations I think. Both would have been top 10 picks had they come out after their jr year. They stayed and it really hurt their draft stock. I think Rey proved that he belonged in the 1st round and the Bengals got lucky.

Gresham would be ok but a lot of players better be taken before him.

Basically if it comes to taking him we should have definitely added Brandon Marshall.

Well the TE problem has been solved - Coats has re-signed.
    Last edited by yab1112; 03-10-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added link to article
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    Well the TE problem has been solved - Coats has re-signed.
    Coats may be the single worst player in professional football.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Profootballtalk.com has a link up to a shaky website claiming that the Bengals have signed Antonio Bryant to a four year deal.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?