Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

I always felt secure when the ball was being kicked to Cosby. He might not have returned any for massive yards but he consistently got the yards that most expect on a return and held on to the football. Its hard to find better guys than Cosby especially ones that arent going to be more important to your team in other areas like Scott.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with the sentiment that kick returning is not a priority for the Bengals going into next year. The only way I see it getting any improvement is if they draft a player at another need position that can also return kicks (Mardy Gilyard?). Even at that, I don't think Cosby or Scott did a bad job last year.

Actually, special teams should get better if Huber improves as he should and the Bengals can get better and more consistent kick offs. Nothing irks me more than poor special teams play.

Mostly, I want to see a more efficient offense and a defense that picks up from where they were last year. I really think this team is much better positioned to defend the AFC North title than they were last time. The season really hinges on Carson and the Offense IMO.

How about a kicker? I know we claimed one from Washington when we let Graham go but I can't help but feel this will be a need.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'd definitely like to see a kicker drafted on April 24th

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd definitely like to see a kicker drafted on April 24th
    Not a big believer in drafting a kicker they seem to often do better with their second team for whatever reason. Guys I think of are Rackers, Dorsch, Nugent (Jets) etc. I'd look to sign a FA who is in a position like Graham was when we signed him, been to a team or 3 and been good enough to get heavy consideration in places but not enough experience to unseat the incumbents. In fact Mike Nugent might be a good guy to look at, not sure why he didn't stick in NY.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Not a big believer in drafting a kicker they seem to often do better with their second team for whatever reason. Guys I think of are Rackers, Dorsch, Nugent (Jets) etc. I'd look to sign a FA who is in a position like Graham was when we signed him, been to a team or 3 and been good enough to get heavy consideration in places but not enough experience to unseat the incumbents. In fact Mike Nugent might be a good guy to look at, not sure why he didn't stick in NY.
    Yea I agree with pretty much this. Although Janokowski, NE's K, and Mason Crosby have been successful with their first teams Its just too much of a crapshoot in drafting an early K.

As for Nugent, I believe the Bengal have brought him in for a tryout. As for his struggles with the Jets Im not really sure why he was bad. I have a friend who went to high school with Nugent who said Nugent hated kicking for the Jets. His only friend on the team was the punter, who at the time was married with a couple of kids living in Long Island. He also made mention of college rules where kickers could "doctor" their balls and beat them in where in the NFL you are kicking the ball of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea I agree with pretty much this. Although Janokowski, NE's K, and Mason Crosby have been successful with their first teams Its just too much of a crapshoot in drafting an early K.

As for Nugent, I believe the Bengal have brought him in for a tryout. As for his struggles with the Jets Im not really sure why he was bad. I have a friend who went to high school with Nugent who said Nugent hated kicking for the Jets. His only friend on the team was the punter, who at the time was married with a couple of kids living in Long Island. He also made mention of college rules where kickers could "doctor" their balls and beat them in where in the NFL you are kicking the ball of the moment.
    Right it's to big a crapshoot early and the chances a late round pick would beat out a guy with experience are not good so basically a waste of a pick.

I didn't realize the Bengals had worked him out must have not been impressed I guess. I would have thought Nugent would have gotten along with his fellow Buckeyes Mangold and Gholston.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Nugent and Mangold are also both from Centerville, but they went to different high schools. Nugent went to Centerville High School whereas Mangold went to Archbishop Alter in Kettering. But yeah, I would think that after playing together on the Buckeyes, Nugent and Mangold would have a solid relationship. Maybe not, though.

I'd be all for giving Nugent a chance since he is a local kid, and he can definitely kick the ball. At this point, I just want someone other Graham, who can apparently only make meaningless kicks.

Bengals preseason schedule is out. Two games will be on national television, so the whole country can watch guys who won't make the Bengals roster play guys who won't make the Cowboys roster on August 8 and can watch guys who won't make the Bengals roster play guys who won't make the Eagles roster on August 20:

--Hall of Fame game, vs. Dallas at Canton, Ohio, 8 p.m., Sun., Aug. 8. (NBC national broadcast)
    --Week 1, DENVER at Paul Brown Stadium, weekend of Aug. 12-16
    --Week 2, PHILADELPHIA at Paul Brown Stadium, 8 p.m., Fri., Aug. 20 (FOX national broadcast)
    --Week 3, at Buffalo, weekend of Aug. 26-30
    --Week 4, at Indianapolis, weekend of Sept. 2-3

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...e-4a47caaeeb2c

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Isn't 5 preseason games a lot? I can't remember the last time they played 5.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Isn't 5 preseason games a lot? I can't remember the last time they played 5.
    Teams playing in the Hall of Fame Game are "lucky" enough to get 5 preseason games.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I really hope the NFL does go to a 2 preseason game 18 regular season game season as they've talked about int the past. Preseason games are usually boring, but especially when you talk about the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I really hope the NFL does go to a 2 preseason game 18 regular season game season as they've talked about int the past. Preseason games are usually boring, but especially when you talk about the NFL.
    I'm against it because it would skew all the season and career records. Then again, they were skewed when they went from 12 games to 14 games to 16 games. It's not fair to the players who came before, though, to have their names pushed out of the record books.

The other thing I wonder is, can players hold up for 18 games? They basically sit out the preseason games, so this would truly mean an additional two games for them to play. Teams are decimated by injuries by their 16th game, as it is.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'm against it because it would skew all the season and career records. Then again, they were skewed when they went from 12 games to 14 games to 16 games. It's not fair to the players who came before, though, to have their names pushed out of the record books.

The other thing I wonder is, can players hold up for 18 games? They basically sit out the preseason games, so this would truly mean an additional two games for them to play. Teams are decimated by injuries by their 16th game, as it is.
    I imagine they would have to increase the size of the roster or the practice squad.

The player's union wouldn't mind.

I think 16 games is plenty. Can you imagine how many unimportant games the better teams will have to play towards the end of the season?

Although, I do hate it when football season is over. I think a best of 3 series would be interesting in the playoffs. Can you imagine the strategies in a football 3 game series?

Turn Off Ads?