Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

And what happens when T.O. feels he isn't getting enough passes thrown his way for him to meet his incentives? That could get dicey. I am not suggesting he isn't talented. But other factors might come in to play here.

The source says that the incentives are based on receptions, yards, and touchdowns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The fact that hes signing for 2 million, up to 4, after making 6 something last year makes me kind of think its not totally about the cash anymore. It obviously is to an extent but he probably knows this is one of his last shots. He was humble in buffalo with zero QB, and really didnt say much while in Dallas while he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The fact that hes signing for 2 million, up to 4, after making 6 something last year makes me kind of think its not totally about the cash anymore. It obviously is to an extent but he probably knows this is one of his last shots. He was humble in buffalo with zero QB, and really didnt say much while in Dallas while he was there.
    i agree, i think TO will be dangerous this year, hes still a good deep threat and i think he will play with a "super bowl or bust" attitude this year.

All I know is Mike Brown, for better or worse, has gone "all in" for the first time in my lifetime. And I am 40 this December.

Why not?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Get your...

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    All I know is Mike Brown, for better or worse, has gone "all in" for the first time in my lifetime. And I am 40 this December.

Why not?
    Basically. Maybe the old guy has finally saw the light. Hes shown signs of improving over the years.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I like the move. I think he fits in with the team, the cost is reasonable, and it shows good initiative by the owner to at least appear like he wants to win.

I'm really impressed that Mike Brown was proactive here.

We have a difficult opening three weeks (Pats, Jets, and @ Panthers (where Jonathan Stewart is 100% and Matt Moore was exceptional for them last season).

We couldn't afford to go 0-3 to start the season, which is very possible. The Bengals are considered by most to NOT BE one of the 6 best teams in the AFC. Maybe there are legitimate reasons for that.

If we just waited for:

1. Antonio Bryant to get in shape
    2. Andre Smith to learn the system
    3. Jordan Shipley to learn the system
    4. Jermaine Gresham to sign AND learn the system
    5. Andre Caldwell to show that he can catch a pass more than 8 yards out
    6. Jerome Simpson to show us anything at all
    7. Chad Johnson to get focused (after all of his off-season distractions)

....then we could easily find ourselves scrambling to go 10-3 over the last 13 weeks of the season just to "hope" to make the playoffs at 10-6. The season could have been over before people had time to get comfortable in their season ticket seats.

Now, we've got a legitimate chance to come out of the first 3 weeks at 2-1 (which would be a tremendous success, as it would mean we'd have a tie-breaker over either the Jets or the Patriots, or both if we can beat both of them). If we lose both games to the Pats and the Jets, then it could be that even at 10-6, we lose a tie-breaker, as one of those two teams will win their division while the other makes the playoffs.

This is a great, great, great signing for the Bengals.

Caution: There is only one player who is worse than Owens in the NFL at dropping catchable passes (Braylon Edwards). Nobody else comes close to Owens' repeated lack of concentration on plays. There are going to be more frustrated moments watching Owens play football for Bengals' fans than they've had with any player in a long, long time. Think of Kitna times two. Where this comes into play the most is on 3rd Down. Terrell Owens is the last person in the world you want to throw a pass to on 3rd Down. It's the easiest way to kill a drive, and Carson led the league last year in 3rd-Down completion percentage (and 2nd best the year before, I believe). Carson, on 3rd Down, will throw to the most reliable Receiver. On this team, at this moment, it's Antonio Bryant. Hopefully, it becomes Jermaine Gresham or Jordan Shipley.

That said, Owens is a huge, physical specimen that no Linebacker in the NFL can cover. He'll also catch passes and make plays that will make us go, "Wow!", kind of like Chad Johnson a few years ago, when Chad would catch anything thrown his direction.

It's a great addition to the team. How the heck is an opposing Defense going to defend a 3-Receiver set that has Owens in the slot, Gresham at TE, Chad on the Strong Side and Antonio Bryant going deep on the Weak Side? Nobody has the personnel defensively to cover that. If we can give Carson some time in the pocket, he'll shred defenses apart. Even at his "worst" last year, he was still the #1 QB, percentage-wise, at completing 3rd Down passes.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I didn't follow Owens up in Buffalo, but in Texas all things Cowboy are big news. Here is the recap from his time there. Not a complete trainwreck, but close. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3953647

Werder reported that according to a Cowboys source directly involved in the decision, Jerry Jones was "following the advice of many, many people" in jettisoning Owens.Not only did Owens have relationship issues with quarterback Tony Romo and tight end Jason Witten, but the receiver consistently criticized offensive coordinator Jason Garrett's play calling and his offensive schemes to the point that sources have said Garrett did not believe he and Owens could coexist.

Although the Cowboys were trying to downplay a possible rift between Owens and Witten during the season, the two reportedly came close to blows in mid-December
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-27-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I didn't follow Owens up in Buffalo, but in Texas all things Cowboy are big news. Here is the recap from his time there. Not a complete trainwreck, but close. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3953647
    I live about 1 1/2 hours from Buffalo and T.O. was a model citizen. Buffalo papers tried to bait him early on and Owens didn't take the bait even when things were going bad. He could have lit up Fitzpatrick and Edwards a couple of times last season and didn't.

I like the move, gives us three really good threats for Palmer to throw to. It should be a really interesting locker room. Too bad hard knocks didn't stay a second season.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Kingspoint, the second game of the season is at home against the Ravens, not the Jets (though I can see how someone would get those two mixed up with all the ex-Ravens the Jets have ).

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I live about 1 1/2 hours from Buffalo and T.O. was a model citizen. Buffalo papers tried to bait him early on and Owens didn't take the bait even when things were going bad. He could have lit up Fitzpatrick and Edwards a couple of times last season and didn't.

I like the move, gives us three really good threats for Palmer to throw to. It should be a really interesting locker room. Too bad hard knocks didn't stay a second season.
    The Buffalo media tried baiting him? If the Buffalo media is baiting T.O., I can't imagine what the Cincy media will be like.

Quote Originally Posted by BringDownMugabe View Post
    The Buffalo media tried baiting him? If the Buffalo media is baiting T.O., I can't imagine what the Cincy media will be like.
    Asleep?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post

I hope it works out. I just won't be surprised if T.O. acts up is all.

Turn Off Ads?