Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Just because this is funny to me, I want to review.

The Bengals now have:

Cedric Benson
    Bernard Scott
    Chad Ochocinco
    Terrell Owens
    Matt Jones
    Andre Smith
    Tank Johnson
    Rey Maulaluga
    Adam "Pacman" Jones
    Roy Williams
    Mike Nugent

And this coming after various transgressions of signing Larry Johnson, Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, etc. etc.

I don't mind second chances. I don't even care that much about character as it pertains to professional organizations. But wow this is comical.
    Ya know its funny, I honestly think after the rash of arrests, Mike Brown really tried to only sign and draft "high character guys" for a few years. What happened was the Bengals were back to aspiring to mediocrity and the stigma of the arrests never went away. Beginning with last year, it was like he said screw it, I'll sign every guy who's had any issues. It's almost been a positive team unifier.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think if you look at any NFL roster, you're going to find a lot of guys who have had trouble with the law in the past. It's just the way things go with professional athletes these days. The time when people viewed pro athletes as blue collar working joes like themselves is long gone. The time when law enforcement would cut athletes a break and let things slide so that it could be kept quiet is also long gone. I'm sure if you put some Hall of Famers into today's pro sports environment, with all the money and fame but with greater media scrutiny, you'd find some of them getting into serious trouble themselves. That is why, as I get older, I have less attachment to pro athletes playing for my teams than I did when I was younger. If you put pro athletes on a pedestal, believing them to be the "good guys," I think you're bound to be disappointed.

With regard to the Bengals, I think the Brown family has always felt that, if given the right opportunity, players with off-the-field troubles could turn themselves around. I seem to remember them giving Stanley Wilson every chance to make it back with the team and they were heartbroken (as was the rest of the team) when he relapsed into his drug habit the night before the Super Bowl. My memory may be incorrect, but I seem to recall the only time the Bengals started dumping guys was when that whole incident came down when 30 Bengals were alleged to have been involved in raping a woman at a hotel. No one was ever convicted of anything, but I seem to remember a lot of roster turnover after that and many of the players alleged to have been involved were quietly sent packing. Of course it could be my memory trying to connect the dots of unrelated events, but I seem to remember hearing that as a possible reason why the Bengals got rid of some players. I don't thing Mike Brown was too happy when "Big Daddy" Dan Wilkerson allegedly punched his pregnant baby mama in the stomach either.

Of course, I've heard some Bengals are genuinely good people. My brother's wife lived in the same dorm as Dhani Jones in college and has always said he really is a great guy. Plus he has a cool show on the Travel Channel.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Just because this is funny to me, I want to review.

The Bengals now have:

Cedric Benson
    Bernard Scott
    Chad Ochocinco
    Terrell Owens
    Matt Jones
    Andre Smith
    Tank Johnson
    Rey Maulaluga
    Adam "Pacman" Jones
    Roy Williams
    Mike Nugent

And this coming after various transgressions of signing Larry Johnson, Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, etc. etc.

I don't mind second chances. I don't even care that much about character as it pertains to professional organizations. But wow this is comical.
    I also think its important to recognize all "2nd Chances" are not created equal.

I mean what has Terrell Owens done other than be a jerk? Same with Chad OchoCinco?

Andre Smith talked to an agent before the Sugar Bowl game, and then had a weird absence at the scouting combine. But he did nothing illegal.

Pacman, Bernard Scott, Matt Jones and Tank Johnson all have significant ink on their police reports admittedly, but the others you mentioned have essentially been caught doing something stupid and dangerous.

Not exactly something to emulate, but I'm not sure they needed 2nd chances to redeem themselves. Unless my job depends on me being able to drive, I doubt I'd get fired for a drunk driving arrest or for getting in a fight in a bar.

I don't know why Roy Williams and Mike Nugent are on the list, I just can't remember.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Jaime Dukes has coined the name "Bad News Bengals".

I kind of like it.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Until you realize that its probably a play on Mike Vicks dog fighting kennel.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I mean what has Terrell Owens done other than be a jerk?
    There are jerks, and then there is TO:

- After decided to leave the Niners, TO insinuated his QB Jeff Garcia was a homosexual in a magazine interview

- After the Super Bowl, TO hires Rosenhaus and wants to renegotiate his contract, citing that he "wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl" (a jab at his QB Donovan McNabb)

- The next year TO is still upset about his contract and makes more comments about the Eagle and McNabb, to the point where the team suspends him 4 games and then deactivates him the rest of the season

- After signing with the Cowboys and having a mediocre game against the Eagles, TO throws a lockerroom tantrum demanding the ball more

- Following his 2008 release from the Cowboys, TO again blasts his QB Tony Romo and offfensive coordinator Jason Garrett

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens#Controversy

Hey when you are 36 and have been playing football for a long time some of those things are bound to happen.

A little bad news for the Ravens (and good news for the Bengals) is that the Ravens just lost a cornerback (Domonique Foxworth) for the season to an ACL tear.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 07-30-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    A little bad news for the Ravens (and good news for the Bengals) is that the Ravens just lost a cornerback (Domonique Foxworth) for the season to an ACL tear.
    I would gloat a bit especially considering that's the exact position where Balt can least afford injuries but the truth is this could happen to anyone. That's also why it's too early to predict rosters and ultimately records. This was a non contact drill.

Yeah, it can happen to anyone, but Ozzie Newsome flat screwed the pooch on helping his secondary this off-season, and it's making me giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Of course, I've heard some Bengals are genuinely good people. My brother's wife lived in the same dorm as Dhani Jones in college and has always said he really is a great guy. Plus he has a cool show on the Travel Channel.
    I'm a big fan of "Dhani Tackles the Globe."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Benson is not going to be suspended by the commissioner for the assault charge he has.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will not suspend Bengals running back Cedric Benson for his role in a May altercation in Texas, two league sources said Friday.

Benson met last week with Goodell about his offseason arrest in Austin, Texas, on a charge of misdemeanor assault.

Benson is accused of punching a bar employee, a charge he has denied.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5423502

Time to start the hand wringing about getting Jermaine Gresham signed yet?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    There are jerks, and then there is TO:

- After decided to leave the Niners, TO insinuated his QB Jeff Garcia was a homosexual in a magazine interview

- After the Super Bowl, TO hires Rosenhaus and wants to renegotiate his contract, citing that he "wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl" (a jab at his QB Donovan McNabb)

- The next year TO is still upset about his contract and makes more comments about the Eagle and McNabb, to the point where the team suspends him 4 games and then deactivates him the rest of the season

- After signing with the Cowboys and having a mediocre game against the Eagles, TO throws a lockerroom tantrum demanding the ball more

- Following his 2008 release from the Cowboys, TO again blasts his QB Tony Romo and offfensive coordinator Jason Garrett

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens#Controversy
    To be fair, McNabb has shown that he is quite the idiot. That is where most of TO's issues came from.

Really? From where I sit, McNabb has shown himself to be nothing but a class act, and a pretty darn good QB to boot.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?