Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Rumors circulating that the team could cut Antonio Bryant soon.
    That rumor has been floating for a few weeks now as his knee has been a concern. The bengals have already paid him 7.5 million this season and his base salary is really low this year. Based on that info I don't see Bryant getting cut this season.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    That rumor has been floating for a few weeks now as his knee has been a concern. The bengals have already paid him 7.5 million this season and his base salary is really low this year. Based on that info I don't see Bryant getting cut this season.
    I saw this on ESPN Insider:

In signing Terrell Owens, the Cincinnati Bengals now have their top two receivers set, with T.O. and Chad Ocho Cinco forming an impressive tandem.

The move also leaves Antonio Bryant, the team's offseason pick-up who was slotted to be Cincy's No. 2 WR, in a tough position. He's reportedly been bothered by a knee injury this offseason, and clearly has not impressed the team to the point where they would want to pass on bringing an extra guy like Owens into the mix.

While Bryant would now appear to be on track to be the team's No. 3 wideout, Evan Silva of ProFootballTalk.com writes that perhaps the team will choose to just release Bryant. Silva notes that doing so would save the team $1.55 million, and that Cincy already has a pair of solid slot receivers in Jordan Shipley and Andre Caldwell. Also, having another WR in Bryant who will presumably want to see plenty of passes coming his way, to go along with T.O. and Ocho Cinco, might not be something the Bengals are looking forward to.

There's no questioning Bryant's talent, however, so there's still the chance that Cincinnati will want to hang on to him and try to make things work.
    I just get nervous when I read things like "save the team $1.55 million".

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I saw this on ESPN Insider:

I just get nervous when I read things like "save the team $1.55 million".
    I don't blame you 1.5 million is a lot of cake to us, but to a team that has already paid Bryant 7 million this season it is a pretty low base salary. Bryant's base jumps to 4.5 million next season so if his knee is bad he will most likely be cut than.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

A lot of this concerns how the other Bengal receivers look and fare in this summer's preseason games. Believe it or not Jerome Simpson has looked good and Quan Cosby has always been his steady self. There's also Briscoe in the mix. They may not want to risk losing those guys because next yr and beyond they will likely need them.

Of course this is the NFL and injuries can change things. Thus the bottomline is they need to re-evaluate where they are after the preseason. They may need Bryant, gimpy knee and all if others go down or don't impress. Or they may decide to IR him or cut him but it makes no sense to do anything now.

I think they'd IR Bryant before they'd cut him. He could help out in 2011 and the money has for the most part already been spent.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Considering he's listed as a starter on Marvin's 1st depth chart of the camp...and I guess he's not getting cut very soon.

Bryant wasn't placed on the PUP list and has practiced already. To me that shows that he will be ready to go either by the 1st game or shortly there after. I don't see him being cut because the Bengals paid him a substantial signing bonus this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Bryant wasn't placed on the PUP list and has practiced already. To me that shows that he will be ready to go either by the 1st game or shortly there after. I don't see him being cut because the Bengals paid him a substantial signing bonus this season.
    If I recall correctly, if they place him on the PUP list now, he can't play the first 6 weeks. With the plethora of wide receivers available, if he's not ready to go by week 1, they may do that and give themselves some extra time to get everything sorted out.

This is a good year to have 5 pre-season games too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If I recall correctly, if they place him on the PUP list now, he can't play the first 6 weeks. With the plethora of wide receivers available, if he's not ready to go by week 1, they may do that and give themselves some extra time to get everything sorted out.

This is a good year to have 5 pre-season games too.
    He can't be placed on PUP because he has practiced already.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    He can't be placed on PUP because he has practiced already.
    I thought it was the other way around. If he was on the PUP before training camp, he could stay on that list but start practicing and play at any time. If he's put on the list now, it's an automatic 6 games he has to sit out.

I'm willing to take your word for it though as I understand next to nothing of the thousands of rules set forth on the manipulations of the rules are beyond confusing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I thought it was the other way around. If he was on the PUP before training camp, he could stay on that list but start practicing and play at any time.
    I found this comment on Bengals.com:

» Wide receiver Antonio Bryant missed his second practice as the coaches made good on their vow to keep him from aggravating his knee. But it’s too late to put him on the physically unprepared list at the beginning of the season because he worked in the first practice on Thursday, so they must believe he’ll respond.

Physically Unprepared to Play refers to an off season injury. It does not include injuries that happen during practice so in order to avoid a rash of PUP candidates they say you can't go on PUP once you've participated in a practice.

Here's a great article explaining PUP:

The Active PUP is for players that have some form of injury that will prevent them from starting training camp.

If placed on Active PUP, a player can rehab and participate in team meetings but cannot practice.

A player has to be placed on Active PUP before he begins training camp, so that's why you're seeing the stories popping up now.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...rform-PUP-list

Lance McAlister on 1530-AM just announced that Adam Schefter is reporting that the Bengals have reached a contract agreement with Jermaine Gresham and that he may be at practice tonight at 7pm.

earlier than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    earlier than I expected.
    This is bigtime earlier than usual for the Bengals. In terms of base salary the Bengals paid over slot and that's amazing too. Guaranteed money is perfectly slotted. I never thought I'd see the day that Mike Brown would do this for a guy who sat out all of last year

Turn Off Ads?