Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. I

Re: Bengals 2010

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't think I'm reading too much into one game.

This team is incapable of putting heat on the opposing QB, the linebackers are average at best, and for all the talent on offense, they've shown no indication whatsoever they can take it to another level. It's not going to be a bad offense by any stretch, but is it going to be good enough to march up and down the field on the Steelers and the Ravens of the world? No way.
    As for the actual analysis, the lack of pressure is troubling, it means the team will have to blitz in order to create pressure. This is fine because most teams do. However against guys like Brady and Peyton and Brees you really can't blitz because you're likely to get picked apart.

As for the Steelers and Ravens, both of whom have great defenses, the Bengals undoubtedly won't march up and down on them, but Offense to Offense I'll take ours versus theirs in a landslide. The defense has to play better obviously, but I believe it too can contain a mediocre or a good offense enough to allow the Bengals offense to outscore them.

As for the "brutal" schedule. The Bengals play the Colts and Chargers, The Ravens play the Texans and the Broncos, the Steelers play the Titans and the Raiders. Every other game is the same. So all we have to do is go 4-2 in division, then match for the remaining games. I don't think that's impossible.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Bruschi on Carson (and I hate this)....

ESPN Link

3. Carson Palmer's struggles. With the addition of all the Bengals' offensive weapons, I felt that Carson Palmer would be a better quarterback. When we played Palmer earlier in his career, we were able to confuse him by disguising our coverages. Over the course of a quarterback's career, he'll start to figure things out, but Palmer still hasn't done that. The Patriots showed Palmer one coverage pre-snap and executed a different coverage post-snap, and Palmer looked lost. I read Pete Carroll's book and when Palmer was at USC, he had self-confidence issues. After throwing two interceptions in the spring game, according to the book, he said to Carroll, "It's just so typical. I always play well and then screw it up when it matters most." He is still that same guy. Until he is able to win the big game that makes a statement, and this was one of those games, defensive coordinators will always see him as a quarterback that can be fooled.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

What they did defensively in order to both confuse the passing game and stuff the rushing game.

ESPN Link

Closer look at defensive wizardry

By Mike Reiss

Sunday’s season-opening victory was a shining example of a creative defensive game-plan being executed to near perfection through the decisive stretch of the contest. It’s a credit to both coaches and players to pull it off.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Checkers vs. Chess
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Oh for heaven's sake. That whole second paragraph is just nonsense. Chad OchoCinco and Terrell Owen's character had nothing to do with the Defense giving up 24 points and special teams another 7 and Carson another 7. Dhani Jones is supposed to be a high character guy which did him a whole lot of good as his character was trailing behind Wes Welker by 5 yards.

Are you suggesting that the coaching staff had to take time away from teaching the team to make a freaking tackle to suit the needs of one of the drama queens? If so they should all be fired for wasting there time and for what its worth, I've yet to hear or see a single thing which shows TO and Chad aren't totally invested into being better players.

They may very well be a 3rd place team, but it will have more to do with execution and talent than character.
    Oh really? Character has nothing to do with it? How did this team respond to adversity during the playoff game against the Steelers, after Carson got hurt? By throwing punches in the locker room, that's how.

When the going gets tough, Chad and TO quit. They've done it their whole careers, I don't expect that to change now. I'm as diehard of a Bengals fan as they come, but it's not going to blind me to this team's obvious shortcomings. Last year was a fun year, but a bit of a mirage. The defense overachieved, and the team rode a wave of emotion to the playoffs.

We'll see how the team responds Sunday. If they come out and clean the Ravens clock, like I said, I'll eat crow. But to me, and 0-2 start is pretty much inevitable.

I'm tired of Mike Brown. I'm tired of Chad and his antics. I'm tired of the entire organization, really. They're more concerned about a Sportscenter closeup than they are with winning football games.

Oh really? Character has nothing to do with it? How did this team respond to adversity during the playoff game against the Steelers, after Carson got hurt? By throwing punches in the locker room, that's how.

When the going gets tough, Chad and TO quit. They've done it their whole careers, I don't expect that to change now. I'm as diehard of a Bengals fan as they come, but it's not going to blind me to this team's obvious shortcomings. Last year was a fun year, but a bit of a mirage. The defense overachieved, and the team rode a wave of emotion to the playoffs.

We'll see how the team responds Sunday. If they come out and clean the Ravens clock, like I said, I'll eat crow. But to me, and 0-2 start is pretty much inevitable.

I'm tired of Mike Brown. I'm tired of Chad and his antics. I'm tired of the entire organization, really. They're more concerned about a Sportscenter closeup than they are with winning football games.
    The problem with ascribing the loss to the fact that the team didn't have enough character is that character doesn't change from game to game. Did they have the same character last year to beat the Steelers and the Ravens on the road.

What the Bengals didn't do was EXECUTE. Either because their coaches had them in ineffective schemes, or because they weren't as good as their assigned opponents, or because they played poorly.
    That will happen from time to time. But if they have poor character now, they had poor character in 2009, and will have poor character in three weeks whether they're 3-1 or 1-3.

Again. Is Carson a "high character guy?" Did he lose some character on the pick six? Was the pick six a result of him only wanting to be on Sportscenter?(on the plus side it worked. That was on Sportscenter.)

I'm not saying you have to like the way Chad or TO act. I certainly don't approve of Adam Jones' past transgressions and Chad and TO certainly grate on me after a while.
    But saying "I don't like those actions" or "I don't like those actions and that's why we lose" is a stretch.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

We better rush Flacco on Sunday. Bob Geathers and Antwan Odom can't play like that again.

A lot of tough QB's are on the schedule, and they are prob. licking their chops after the pathetic defensive effort they saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Bruschi on Carson (and I hate this)....

ESPN Link
    I think Belichick has done a pretty good job of confusing many a QB over his coaching career. He has made Manning look pretty average on a few occasions.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The problem with ascribing the loss to the fact that the team didn't have enough character is that character doesn't change from game to game. Did they have the same character last year to beat the Steelers and the Ravens on the road.

What the Bengals didn't do was EXECUTE. Either because their coaches had them in ineffective schemes, or because they weren't as good as their assigned opponents, or because they played poorly.
    That will happen from time to time. But if they have poor character now, they had poor character in 2009, and will have poor character in three weeks whether they're 3-1 or 1-3.

Again. Is Carson a "high character guy?" Did he lose some character on the pick six? Was the pick six a result of him only wanting to be on Sportscenter?(on the plus side it worked. That was on Sportscenter.)

I'm not saying you have to like the way Chad or TO act. I certainly don't approve of Adam Jones' past transgressions and Chad and TO certainly grate on me after a while.
    But saying "I don't like those actions" or "I don't like those actions and that's why we lose" is a stretch.
    I'm not saying that because we have a group of "bad" guys we lost Sunday. I didn't even necessarily say they lost to NE Sunday because of character, but that I thought in the long run, a lack of character would indeed doom them.

Many teams have won with "bad" guys who you would say have low character, such as, the Ravens. But in terms of being on the field, as teammates, as warriors in that locker room, those guys have HIGH character. They're not selfish individuals, and they make a perfect team.

I just have a bad, bad feeling about this season, and about this locker room. If I'm proven wrong, I will personally apologize to Chad Ochocinco on his Facebook.

I'm not saying that because we have a group of "bad" guys we lost Sunday. I didn't even necessarily say they lost to NE Sunday because of character, but that I thought in the long run, a lack of character would indeed doom them.

Many teams have won with "bad" guys who you would say have low character, such as, the Ravens. But in terms of being on the field, as teammates, as warriors in that locker room, those guys have HIGH character. They're not selfish individuals, and they make a perfect team.

I just have a bad, bad feeling about this season, and about this locker room. If I'm proven wrong, I will personally apologize to Chad Ochocinco on his Facebook.
    You don't win or lose because of bad character. Bad character could wreck an already poor season but I don't think it has anything to do with a successful team. IMO there are so many "bad character" guys out there that it doesn't make a big deal.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I think it's possible in a few months the Patriots might be 13-3 or so and we'll be looking back on this game a little differently. That's a good football team and I think they've improved from 2009.

Not to excuse the Bengals, because they have to be able to beat those sorts of teams if they want to take the next step, I'm just saying.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Buffalo released Trent Edwards today. Just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Buffalo released Trent Edwards today. Just sayin'....
    At least they're doing something. Last year they fired their O coordinator. Do you think Bratkowski will ever be fired or will he be here until he dies a natural death?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I just find the comparison between the difference in Edwards and Palmer's salary and the difference in their performance interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    At least they're doing something. Last year they fired their O coordinator. Do you think Bratkowski will ever be fired or will he be here until he dies a natural death?
    They fired their O coordinator after three games. OF THE PRE-SEASON. How'd that work for them?

I understand the frustration with Bratkowski, but I'm starting to think he fits into what Marvin wants from the team. Limit mistakes, beat people up on both sides of the ball, and win games in the fourth quarter. I think it's good, but the team has to have some explosiveness to it. This offense really just doesn't. There are a multitude of reasons for that, but overall I'm not sure I see the problem fixing itself until Marvin(and Mike) decide it's a problem. I don't think we'll see that any time soon.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?