Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 742

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

  1. #361
    All dyslexics must untie!
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    SW Portland, OR
    Posts
    8,604

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Then, if the Reds are near contention and he's doing well give him a call up and stick him in the bull pen. Let him use his plus pitches to hopefully gain some confidence and help the team out at the back of the game. Then hopefully transition him over to the rotation in 2011.
    he could be the Don Gullett of 2010, 40+ years later?
    Last edited by gm; 01-10-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #362
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    We control his rights, but not his salary for year 6. Let's say he becomes an Ace and is one of the top pitchers in the game. He might win 20 million.

    So 6 years would have been better than 5.
    That would be the best case scenario then.

    Either pay him, or trade him for a king's ransom.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  4. #363
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Wow for one day atleast I felt like the Bankees,Redsox fans do all the time.I was watching espnews around 1:00 this afternoon and it came across the bottom of the screen that he had signed with a team.Well I kept reading it and I seen the first three letters Red so I said the redsox got him.When I seen that it was the Reds I bout fell out of the couch lol.

    Anyways they started talking to a mlb guy that works for them and he said it was a risk for the reds to sign him.He went on to say that it will take Chapman a year or two in the minors b/c he needs to mature and grow up.Has anybody else heard that this kid does'nt like to listen to coachs that have tried to help him?
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  5. #364
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,795

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Got a few thoughts about all this:

    While I am happy to see the willingness on the part of the Reds to get into a bidding war with the big boys, I do have to wonder if other teams saw something in Chapman that caused them to back off. While this is a huge amount of money the Reds are giving him, other teams could have shelled out more, and I have to wonder if they realized the talent would never live up to the hype?

    Assuming Chapman develops into at least MOR, I'm thinking the best young rotation the Reds can field is Cueto, Chapman, Bailey, Woods, and a healthy Volquez. Plus you still have Leake if one of those five go down to injury.

    I would send Chapman to start at Low-A in Dayton. If he dominates, it only helps his confidence. Move him on to High-A, and then AA. By the time you get to late July, the trade deadline is approaching. If he has a WHIP under 1.00 and a K/9 of 9.00+ over 80-90 minor league innings, you have the option of sending him on to AAA, or having him skip AAA and bringing him straight to Cincy. I would shut him down around 140-145 innings, regardless.

    Finally, this does open up some options for trades. I could live with trading Arroyo or Harang (or both), provided they could fetch a good young SS or a young LF with some pop.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

  6. #365
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,840

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Got a few thoughts about all this:

    While I am happy to see the willingness on the part of the Reds to get into a bidding war with the big boys, I do have to wonder if other teams saw something in Chapman that caused them to back off. While this is a huge amount of money the Reds are giving him, other teams could have shelled out more, and I have to wonder if they realized the talent would never live up to the hype?

    Assuming Chapman develops into at least MOR, I'm thinking the best young rotation the Reds can field is Cueto, Chapman, Bailey, Woods, and a healthy Volquez. Plus you still have Leake if one of those five go down to injury.

    I would send Chapman to start at Low-A in Dayton. If he dominates, it only helps his confidence. Move him on to High-A, and then AA. By the time you get to late July, the trade deadline is approaching. If he has a WHIP under 1.00 and a K/9 of 9.00+ over 80-90 minor league innings, you have the option of sending him on to AAA, or having him skip AAA and bringing him straight to Cincy. I would shut him down around 140-145 innings, regardless.

    Finally, this does open up some options for trades. I could live with trading Arroyo or Harang (or both), provided they could fetch a good young SS or a young LF with some pop.
    I can understand your hesitations Mike, but Chapman has been pitchig in big games, on big stages against some fairly solid competition. I'm not worried about him starting inAA or AAA. Unless he dominates in Spring training though. I don't think I'd take him North with the 25-man.

    If nothing else, keep him in extended Spring training for an intensive month or so with Super Mario to fine tune his stuff and evaluate where he should best start.

  7. #366
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Wow for one day atleast I felt like the Bankees,Redsox fans do all the time.I was watching espnews around 1:00 this afternoon and it came across the bottom of the screen that he had signed with a team.Well I kept reading it and I seen the first three letters Red so I said the redsox got him.When I seen that it was the Reds I bout fell out of the couch lol.

    Anyways they started talking to a mlb guy that works for them and he said it was a risk for the reds to sign him.He went on to say that it will take Chapman a year or two in the minors b/c he needs to mature and grow up.Has anybody else heard that this kid does'nt like to listen to coachs that have tried to help him?
    What were you doing in the couch anyway, that explains alot.

    At any rate I don't know that he doesn't like to listen to coaches it could be a matter of trust. He himself said what he learned about his 1st attempt to escape Cuba was not to trust anyone. I don't know but if I were in his shoes and random strangers (coaches or not) were trying to mess with what I perceived as my meal ticket I wouldn't trust them either. Perhaps now that he has money in the bank he'll relax and allow people to direct him. I'd be more worried about how a 21 yr old cuban who speaks no english, has no family or friends (except agents) around him deals with living in places like Louisville, Cincy etc. when he's away from the diamond.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  8. #367
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    What were you doing in the couch anyway, that explains alot.

    At any rate I don't know that he doesn't like to listen to coaches it could be a matter of trust. He himself said what he learned about his 1st attempt to escape Cuba was not to trust anyone. I don't know but if I were in his shoes and random strangers (coaches or not) were trying to mess with what I perceived as my meal ticket I wouldn't trust them either. Perhaps now that he has money in the bank he'll relax and allow people to direct him. I'd be more worried about how a 21 yr old cuban who speaks no english, has no family or friends (except agents) around him deals with living in places like Louisville, Cincy etc. when he's away from the diamond.
    Being lazy ofcourse!!

    Mario,I never thought of Chapman,that way and I agree with you b/c it had to be hard for him living in Cuba.Excellent point!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  9. #368
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    I hate SportsCenter. I understand the two playoff football games, but so far they'be showed 3 NBA games, 2 College Bball games, a golf tournament, a replay of one of the playoff games, an interview of Jack Nicklaus, news on Pete Carroll, and still haven't even mentioned the word baseball. If it was the Yankees or Red Sox, you can guarantee it would be the top story.

    Edit-5 NBA games, both NFL replays and analysis
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 01-11-2010 at 12:36 AM.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  10. #369
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,968

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Wow! Glad I checked RedsZone today. The offseason just got a whole lot more interesting, that's for sure. Did Walt have this up his sleeve all along? Wow.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  11. #370
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Being lazy ofcourse!!

    Mario,I never thought of Chapman,that way and I agree with you b/c it had to be hard for him living in Cuba.Excellent point!!
    Although on 2nd thought I could be wrong, this is a bit disappointing to read. Sounds a little self centered, a little much. Then again perhaps he was disappointed in his performance in which case not uncommon to ignore others for a while especially at such a young age.

    There also might be a question of Chapman's maturity level. Several times at the WBC, Chapman was demonstrative in his displeasure at the umpire's strike zone. At times, several of his teammates had to go to the mound to calm him.

    And when he was finally removed in the third inning of a 6-0 loss against Japan in pool play, Chapman did not look at manager Higinio Velez, running straight into the clubhouse without slapping hands with any of his teammates.
    Chapman also appears to have the charisma to make him a star in the majors. During the WBC, he regularly mugged for cameras and always offered smiles at reporters, though because of Cuba team rules, he was not allowed to speak to any of them.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4302422
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-11-2010 at 03:51 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  12. #371
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  13. #372
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Thanks, very interesting stuff.

    In terms of his makeup, I think being able to defect, leaving your friends and family behind forever, says a lot about his fortitude. I don't think anyone can say he lacks guts.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  14. #373
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Bottom line this shows the reds are trying to contend, Makes me sick inside that tavares makes 4 mill and this kid with real promise is zoned in at 6 mill.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  15. #374
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Dolf Luque is smiling tonight.

  16. #375
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $25 million cont

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You don't trade either Wood or Maloney.... You want all the good young pitchers you can get. You trade Arroyo and Harang when the time is right, you do not extend them. For more young prospects.

    Cheap, young pitchers..... Chapman, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Wood, Maloney.... hang on till they become expensive.
    Agree in general but the team still has a horrid situation at SS and even with one of the team's better prospect playing SS in AAA, the future of the position is still a bit iffy. The team doesn't really have a Catcher of the future (and the present doesn't look all that hot either), the team is weak on bats that can hit against RHP and even with all those young arms those are fatal flaws. In a year or so guys like Fairel, Horst, Klinker, Boxberger, Serrano and Tuttle will probably equal or surpass Maloney or Wood. The team needs to deal something to address it weaknesses and IMO selling Wood after his super season (following a couple crummy ones) would be selling high and getting more out of him than what the team is likely to get by keeping him. The lack of alternatives who were as far along made it difficult, but Chapman's presence makes it easier.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25