Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Another thought that occurred to me...how much do you Chapman considered the Reds after seeing the success of Cueto and Volquez under Soto. Not to even mention some of our other Latin signings over the past year. We could be developing an atmosphere that could really benefit us in Latin American signings. I don't think the importance of that can be understated....a ton of the top baseball talent is coming to the US via that pipeline right now. Until these players get put into the draft the Reds could be developing a huge advantage over the rest of MLB.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Those guys don't need to gamble big money. They can sign him in 6 years when they know whether he's legit.

The Cincinnati Reds were “going after him like crazy,” according to one source, and an agent who does not represent Chapman said he had signed with the Reds.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Cueto, Volquez, and Chapman= Latino HEAT!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Wow, just wow. If this is true, I am absolutely ecstatic.

We had a thread toward the end of the season about what to do in the offseason, and I wanted Chapman. To actually get him, reminds me of a handful of days in my sports fandom.

1. Ken Griffey Jr to the Reds
    2. Terrelle Pryor to Ohio State
    3. This is a really sad list given that I am 31 years old.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Those guys don't need to gamble big money. They can sign him in 6 years when they know whether he's legit.
    That is exactly right. But still, I find this very exciting.

It would be perfect for the Reds to add a power young lefty to the mix with Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

From Jon Paul Morosi of Foxsports:

No confirmations or denials yet from #Reds officials. But two people with other clubs told me they think he's headed there.

http://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/7601640574

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Wow, finally some good news to talk about. We deserve it my fellow Reds fans. (If it actually materializes; everything sounds real good though.)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Wow, sort of cool to see how Twitter is fitting in with breaking news and rumors in baseball. This is really the first time I've seen a Reds story develop like this in real time by using a medium like Twitter.
    Here's Jim Bowden's Twitter:

Industry split on Aroldis Chapman. Has to be a "Scouts" over all other info org. Chapman LH with 97mph arm..lacks command and smarts

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenIV

Holy smokes. I just checked the 'zone today, just to see if anything of note is going on (expecting not)...Holy cow.

Yes, there is risk, but how can you NOT love this? Don't have to give anything up (players) to get a LH TOR guy, potentially...wow.

I guess everyone was wrong to get on Walt for having a quiet off-season, eh?

Big, big,

Not sure if it has been posted but MLB.com saying it is likely the Reds too. They also have a video linked.

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp

espn just put up an article that says the he is possibly headed to the reds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4813486

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Here's Jim Bowden's Twitter:

Industry split on Aroldis Chapman. Has to be a "Scouts" over all other info org. Chapman LH with 97mph arm..lacks command and smarts

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenIV
    If Bowden doesn't like it, I love it.

Reds may be winners for Chapman
    Report indicates NL Central team has signed Cuban lefty
    By Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com

01/10/10 1:48 PM EST

Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman agreed to a five-year, $30 million deal with a National League team believed to be the Reds, Yahoo Sports reported on Sunday morning.

The Reds' interest in the 22-year-old with a fastball clocked as high as 100 mph was originally reported by FoxSports.com on Friday. The club was one of many to see Chapman work out on Dec. 15 in Houston.

But it still comes as a surprise if it's the Reds who signed Chapman, as the Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees and Angels were believed to be the front-runners for Chapman's services, according to recent reports.

The Red Sox were the first to bid on Chapman with an initial $15.5 million offer in early December, while the Blue Jays reportedly offered him $23 million. The Marlins also reportedly offered him a deal in the $16 million range.

In the NL, the Marlins, Mets, Nationals and Astros were also after Chapman, but it appeared he would be heading to an American League team before Yahoo's report on Sunday.

Chapman is represented by agents Randy and Alan Hendricks after he dismissed fledgling agent Edwin Mejia, who helped him establish residency in Andorra after he defected from the Cuban National Team in July.

Chapman was originally said to be looking for $50 million, but will have to settle for making twice what No. 1 pick Stephen Strasburg made when he signed his record-breaking $15.1 million deal with the Nationals on Aug. 17.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Source: Chapman close to MLB deal

Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman appears to be closing in on an agreement to play Major League Baseball, though his agent said that no deal is complete.

One source told ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure that the team is the Cincinnati Reds. The source said the contract is believed to be worth $30 million for the left-handed pitcher.

Chapman's representatives said the deal is not done and would not confirm the team, but did say the Reds are "possible."

"We have to wait still," agent Rodney Fernandez wrote to ESPN The Magazine in a text message in regards to a possible deal with the Reds. "It's possible. We'll see."

Reports earlier last week had the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Angels in the bidding for Chapman.

Chapman attended a Yankees playoff game in New York and also visited Red Sox officials in Fenway Park while he was still represented by his previous agent, Edwin Mejia. Last month, Chapman held a workout in Houston attended by more than a dozen teams, including the Red Sox, who have scouted him extensively in international play.

He was also being courted by the Toronto Blue Jays and Florida Marlins, though the Miami Herald reported last week that the Marlins would drop out of the bidding if the price exceeded $20 million.

Sunday, Yahoo! Sports reported that Chapman would sign with a National League team.

Chapman, 22, was a sensation pitching for the Cuban national team in last spring's World Baseball Classic, with a fastball that topped 100 mph, but some officials have expressed concerns about his control.

"He's the real deal,'' one scout told ESPNBoston.com on Thursday. "He's a real good athlete. When he was pitching for Cuba, it was almost like he was a reliever when he was starting, told to throw as hard as he could for as long as he could.

"He's not ready for the big leagues yet, but he has a fabulous arm. His slider is going to be a plus pitch, and though he has no feel yet for the changeup, his arm action is good and that could come with time.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4813486

Turn Off Ads?