Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Irabu, Daisuke, Igawa...Daisuke has been pretty good when healthy, but not worth the money paid for him.
    For his play alone, maybe not. But with someone like him you need to also factor in advertising gains made by having a Japanese superstar on your team.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Wow, this is really cool! He sounds like he has a ton of potential. What great news to randomly find out via Twitter this afternoon and I'm so glad I joined earlier this week, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

There's no ox after the Reds part? This is cool and stuff!

One group of talent evaluators believes Chapman is an extraordinarily gifted pitcher, with the kind of skill set you see once in a generation. Some compare his arm to that of Randy Johnson, and they're in awe of what he could become. And while they acknowledge there are questions about his command and his maturity, some raise the R.J. comparison again. "Where was Randy Johnson when he was that age?" asked one scout rhetorically. "He is still a very young pitcher and he needs time."

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...3dolney_buster

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He's a real Cuban, right? Not a Dominican passing for a Cuban?
    A Cohiba Esplendido or a Montecristo #2 would be a nice way to celebrate this signing.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

extreme high risk ... i hope it is high reward.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    One group of talent evaluators believes Chapman is an extraordinarily gifted pitcher, with the kind of skill set you see once in a generation. Some compare his arm to that of Randy Johnson, and they're in awe of what he could become. And while they acknowledge there are questions about his command and his maturity, some raise the R.J. comparison again. "Where was Randy Johnson when he was that age?" asked one scout rhetorically. "He is still a very young pitcher and he needs time."

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...3dolney_buster
    At this age, Randy Johnson went 8-7 at Single A West Palm Beach for the Expos.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    So why did the Yankees or Redsox not jump at this player??

It's not like they don't have the dough.
    They want instant payback on their player investments that are high dollar, their market demands it.

Haunted by walks

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...f=twitter_feed

Cuban left-handed pitching prospect Aroldis Chapman, one of the most coveted free-agents on this year's market, has agreed to a $30 million contract with the Cincinnati Reds, sources confirmed to SI.com.
    The deal was first reported by Yahoo, and is said to be for five years.
    Cincinnati was a quiet but consistent contender for the 22-year-old, whose 102-mile-per-hour fastball drew significant interest from the likes of the Boston Red Sox, Florida Marlins, Los Angeles Angels, Oakland Athletics, Toronto Blue Jays and Washington Nationals.

The key to this is not how Chapman does, but that the Reds keep making moves like this one. Smart ones that have some risk, but also have a good chance of providing surplus value.

If you make enough of them, over time it will pay off in a big way. That is how you build a championship team. Many smart, calculated risks.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Does this kid instantly make the 5 man rotation?
    can't see how, there is no evidence he is up to a major league starter workload. If they are paying him that much I would like to see him in the major league bullpen and build up his stamina there. Just don't overwork him and get him him hurt
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I would have to believe that he will have a real shot as making the rotation in spring training. He may be young but I don't think the deal would only be for 5 years if the Reds didn't think they could get production out of him now. Would a small market team really pay a player 6 million to pitch in the minors, especially when he pitched so well in the World Baseball classic last year.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    extreme high risk ... i hope it is high reward.
    Beats shelling out 120 million to a guy in his 30s with leg problems. The Reds have to take risks like this in the starting pitching realm. It's about their only in. For the Reds ever to be relevant again they have to take big time risks with young starters/drafts.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

How does this type of signing affect the roster? Is he immediately on the 40 man roster?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Update on Chapman
    Posted by jfay January 10th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I still haven’t heard back from Walt Jocketty. But an announcement about the Reds signing Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman could come as soon as today.

A source high in the organization said the deal is close to being signed and could be as long as 10 years. Yahoo.com is reporting it’s for five years and $30 million.

What’s gotten into the Reds? The other day Jocketty told me that the club had talked to Jerry Hairston Jr.’s agent. But a deal was unlikely because Hairston had priced himself out of the club range.

I can’t imagine Hairston asking for more than $3 million. How could the Reds give 10 times that much to a prospect?

The money Chapman gets will be spread over a long period of time. Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang are in the last years of their contract. That opens up $23.5 million in 20111. The club also has show a willingness to spend on young Latin American talent in recent years. Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran signed in 2008 for $2.5 and $2 million, respectively, in 2008.

This is a great deal more money. But Chapman, who throws close to 100, is a lot closer to the big leagues. A rotation with Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey and Chapman could return the franchise to its successful past.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Turn Off Ads?