Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Beats shelling out 120 million to a guy in his 30s with leg problems. The Reds have to take risks like this in the starting pitching realm. It's about their only in. For the Reds ever to be relevant again they have to take big time risks with young starters/drafts.
    Absolutely. This, and drafting people like Bailey and Bruce, is the way you get top-tier talent in Cinti.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Now for a little more fun.

Compare this move to the Eric Milton for almost nine million per year deal.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Even with this signing I would like to see the Reds draft 5 hard throwing pitchers in the first 5 rounds in this years draft, Pete Rose once said, even if you think you have enough pitching go out amd sign 5 more pitchers

For the Reds ever to be relevant again they have to take big time risks with young starters/drafts.
    paging Tim Lincecum.

I don't mind this signing as long as everyone realizes he could be a huge bust, he could also be a huge prize. If his stuff is as good as it looked in the World Baseball stuff I would love to see him start the season on the major league team but they need to limit his innings.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Even with this signing I would like to see the Reds draft 5 hard throwing pitchers in the first 5 rounds in this years draft, Pete Rose once said, even if you think you have enough pitching go out at sign 5 more pitchers
    Pete Rose also bet on baseball. What he has to say means very little. I would also avoid taking a pitcher 5 rounds in a row to start the draft. Odds are very unlikely that those are the 5 best choices.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    paging Tim Lincecum.

I don't mind this signing as long as everyone realizes he could be a huge bust, he could also be a huge prize. If his stuff is as good as it looked in the World Baseball stuff I would love to see him start the season on the major league team but they need to limit his innings.
    He could be Sandy Koufax!!

Or he could be Jay Hook.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Update on Chapman
    Posted by jfay January 10th, 2010, 4:27 pm

What’s gotten into the Reds? The other day Jocketty told me that the club had talked to Jerry Hairston Jr.’s agent. But a deal was unlikely because Hairston had priced himself out of the club range.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/
    Why in the world would Jocketty (or any other GM) divulge exactly how much money they have to spend to Fay or any other member of the media? Do they expect Dusty to announce before the game what sequence of pitches the starting pitcher will use that night? Or when they will bunt? Or when they will attempt a hit and run? I think Walt is wise to not telegraph the Reds plans. They have enough money to sign quality -- Hairston isn't worth $3 million a year -- Chapman is. And notice that they didn't announce the Rolen extension until after it happened. While it may be frustrating to be a Reds fan at times, I for one, am glad they aren't announcing all future salary plans to the world and making people (and the rest of the league) guess.

By the way, I like this teams future, both short and long term.
    Where we gonna go?

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

can't see how, there is no evidence he is up to a major league starter workload. If they are paying him that much I would like to see him in the major league bullpen and build up his stamina there. Just don't overwork him and get him him hurt
    How many innings can we realistically expect out of him this year? 120 IP? 150?

One thing that is apparent to me is that the Reds have recognized foreign signings as a way to stockpile talent and have allocated resources to that end. I dare say they are way ahead of MLB curve in that respect. When was the last time the Reds have been ahead of any curve? Not every signing will pay off, but it's much easier to stomach the signing of a 22 year-old flamethrower for half the money of a 32 year-old journeyman even if it doesn't materialize.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-10-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Update on Chapman
    Posted by jfay January 10th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I still haven’t heard back from Walt Jocketty. But an announcement about the Reds signing Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman could come as soon as today.

A source high in the organization said the deal is close to being signed and could be as long as 10 years. Yahoo.com is reporting it’s for five years and $30 million.

What’s gotten into the Reds? The other day Jocketty told me that the club had talked to Jerry Hairston Jr.’s agent. But a deal was unlikely because Hairston had priced himself out of the club range.

I can’t imagine Hairston asking for more than $3 million. How could the Reds give 10 times that much to a prospect?

The money Chapman gets will be spread over a long period of time. Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang are in the last years of their contract. That opens up $23.5 million in 20111. The club also has show a willingness to spend on young Latin American talent in recent years. Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran signed in 2008 for $2.5 and $2 million, respectively, in 2008.

This is a great deal more money. But Chapman, who throws close to 100, is a lot closer to the big leagues. A rotation with Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey and Chapman could return the franchise to its successful past.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/
    Fay obviously needs to work on his relationship with Jocketty. Maybe Walt doesn't like dealing with idiots, one who is trying to compare not signing JHJ with money out of the draft and development budget.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

paging Tim Lincecum.

I fully recognize the risk, but I believe it is a reasonable risk and the kind a team like the Reds needs to take to compete. I will not criticize this move, even if it turns out for the worst. I said that about the Griffey acquisition too and never complained about it despite the end result.

He looks great in a red hat with a white C on it.

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

That's the Jocketty I know and love: pitching, pitching, pitching.
    Guess we now know what he was doing on "Vacation"
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

From Mark Sheldon's twitter:

Details not finalized yet on Chapman. Reds sources indicate 5 years at $25 million w/ sixth yr option. Deal could be announced tonight.

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

Awesome news. It will be interesting to see where they start him this season. I don't know how the Reds' young pitchers are going to turn out, but there is certainly the potential for a killer rotation a few years down the road. There's also the potential they could all flame out, but at least we have something reasonable to hope for and look forward to.

Update from Fay:

#Reds, Chapman deal is done, pending physical. 6 years guaranteed with the payout stretched over a longer period. Announcement tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Awesome!

Turn Off Ads?