Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to six-year deal (Financials TBD)

Re: Jeff Passan of Yahoo: Reds to sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    How many innings can we realistically expect out of him this year? 120 IP? 150?
    excellent question, that's why if he is in the majors I would start him off in the pen. He could be a huge asset in a setup role.

The only thing you don't want to do is overwork at such a young age, he is potentially too valuable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

And more from Fay:

The Reds have agreed to terms with Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman on a six-year, guaranteed deal. The payout is over a long period of time, probably 10 years.

The deal will be announced tomorrow, pending a physical.

Chapman defected from Cuba after the World Baseball Classic. He throws close to 100 mph.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...deal-confimed/
    Where we gonna go?

Re: Jeff Passan: Reds sign Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman to five-year, $30 million cont

Better a Red than dead ... I guess

Jon Heyman says he is hearing the Reds believe Chapman can start in the majors in the not-too-distant future.

My question is what made the Reds go so hard after the guy over the usual high stakes players? I kinda shrugged when I saw the thread that the Reds had a scout to watch Chapman, figuring, like I'm sure most did, that it would be the big boys in a bidding war. I know some think that the big boys were not seemingly that interested might be a word to the wise. I wonder if the big boys were feeling burnt by the mixed return on the international signings?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Wow, this was certainly unexpected. Then again, with the recent surge of young signings the Reds have made in the Latin America arena, maybe this should not be a surprise.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Mario Soto is probably dancing a dance of joy right now, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    paging Tim Lincecum.

I don't mind this signing as long as everyone realizes he could be a huge bust, he could also be a huge prize. If his stuff is as good as it looked in the World Baseball stuff I would love to see him start the season on the major league team but they need to limit his innings.
    Flyer, do you ever have a day where the sun shines? We all understand there's some risk here. There always is with any prospect signing. It's been that way since the beginning. Why should this be any different?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Best day to be a Reds fan in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Best day to be a Reds fan in a long time.
    It certainly is. I was excited when the Reds acquired Edinson Volquez but this is bigger than that. I'd say this is easily the most excited I've been since the Griffey acquisition.

So will they send him to AA or AAA for development?
    Last edited by WMR; 01-10-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It certainly is. I was excited when the Reds acquired Edinson Volquez but this is bigger than that. I'd say this is easily the most excited I've been since the Griffey acquisition.
    A lot of people didn't like the Volquez deal because of who we traded.

I'm guessing that maybe the confusion over the length of the deal is because they didn't sign away their right to the usual 6 years service time control?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'm guessing that maybe the confusion over the length of the deal is because they didn't sign away their right to the usual 6 years service time control?
    I just think it's because we're going to be paying him longer than we'll have him under contract, if that makes sense.

Does this move get the first-ever RedsZone Unanimous Seal of Approval?

Way to go, Walt.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?